“The only good thing about the stay was the bed was actually firm.”
Review of Super 8 Elyria

Super 8 Elyria
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The rest of the stay was just bad. It is a shame that your brand is associated with that specific property. As a result, we will never stay at a Super 8 again. We got a smoking room when we specifically asked to be in a non-smoking room. There were ashtrays in the room and it smelled of smoke. The front desk clerk the night we checked in was good and friendly. Before we arrived she actually called to tell us of an issue with the booking... we were being moved to a suite. It did not make a difference. Stains on couch, floor (filthy), but no mold or soap scum.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Super8 Elyria OH

Old, Odd, and OK

We were gone on vacation for two weeks. Of all the motels we stayed at, this was the most different.

First of all, let me give you all the plusses, in no particular order, and then I’ll mention the other stuff.

The bed was comfortable, we slept well.
The bed was not crammed against a wall so you had to crawl across your partner to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. That’s a BIG plus.
The room was very clean.
Bathroom was clean, and no mildew.
Great breakfast area and a great breakfast.
Close to the interstate
Good choice of restaurants not far away at a shopping mall.
Excellent staff.

For all of the above reasons, we’d stay there again.

Now the oddities and negatives

Rooms appear to be very old

Even the pictures on the wall seem out of place

Of the items you expect to find in a motel room these days:
No Microwave*
No Fridge*
No Ironing Board or Iron*
No Coffee Maker**
No Hair Drier**
* Never, or rarely use these anyway
** I really like my morning coffee
** My wife really likes a hair drier

The motel is located in the middle of its parking lot so that it has absolutely no curb appeal. The same can be said about the area surrounding the motel – I can’t explain it but it kept me looking over my shoulder. When we left in the morning I noticed that there were only about a half-dozen cars in the lot so the motel must have been nearly empty on a Tuesday.

This is a pre-electronics motel. One of my photographs shows my power strip at the end of its cord, in front of the old tv and thence strung to my laptop on the table. (She also had to sit on two pillows to get high enough to be able to type.) That was the only outlet in the entire room. It looked like it had been positioned for a fridge or microwave.

The cubicle which holds the sink and mirror also holds the luggage rack, clothes rod, and a huge safe. The safe is big enough to hold a rather large backpack.

Late in the evening, when we were about to go to bed, we discovered that the toilet tank was leaking. We put down a towel and plastic glass to catch the water and left it until morning. In the morning, the towel was saturated and the glass was overflowing. We reported it as we left. One of the people behind the desk got right on it. The toilet-shower room, by the way was one of the microscopic ones where you have to step into the shower or stand on the toilet in order to close the door. It is one of my pet peeves of traveling that nobody can build a motel room with a decent bathroom.

The breakfast area was one of the best I’ve ever seen and the whole area was bright and cheerful. The staff had the kind of attitude you see at a place where they care and get things done. From this, it looks like the place is on the way up but the room argues that they have a long way to go.

As I said above, the place was very clean and I would stay here again but I wish I could figure out what was so odd about it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Best Western Inn
Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria
Knights Inn Elyria
Knights Inn Elyria
#8 of 11 in Elyria

Been to Super 8 Elyria? Share your experiences!