“I will take a pass next time through”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Twin Cities, MN
“I will take a pass next time through”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I stayed here one night and it wasn't bad, just not the best place I have stayed. First things first, the staff was very friendly--right up to the time they told me they didn't have ESPN. Sorry, I love sports and that is a deal beaker for me. But like the girl said it wasn't her fault. Unfortunately it was in the middle of the whole Michael Jackson thing so it was like watching MJTV without a good sports channel.
If you do stay there I definitely recommend their choice for dinner although i don't recall the place' name. It was called a deli but it was a full service restaurant within walking distance. Very nice and friendly staff there.
Back in the room I noticed that if you wanted to use the shower you practically had to stand on the toilet to shut the door. And if you wanted to use the toilet, well let's just say there wasn't a whole lot of leg room to do your business.
Once in the shwer it was fairly clean but there were long black hairs in the shower. Not mine, I am bald.
It wasn't the quietest place, you could hear people going up and down the hallway. The walls seemed rather thin.
Overall not horrible, but after this place I stayed at a Microtel that was much more comfortable, clean and larger, with ESPN (!), and more room in general

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I've stayed here before when traveling to and from the Midwest. I decided to upgrade from a king room to a king room with sofa bed since I was moving my daughter back from college. I expected that we'd get a typical room with a sofa bed (their king sized rooms are larger than the typical king sized rooms at a Red Roof Inn and have plenty of room for a sofa bed). Apparently, at this Red Roof Inn, reserving a king sized room with a sofa bed, gives you a suite.

It's a very well designed suite-you have a small entry area with a mirror and place to put your luggage, and hang your clothing and the entrance to the bath off the foyer. You then enter the "living" area of the suite where there is a sofa bed, coffee table, floor lamp, small upholstered chair, wood veneer dress, large TV, and cabinet with a small microwave and fridge. Walk through the living area and you enter the bedroom where there is a king sized bed, desk, another dresser, large TV, desk, floor lamp and upholstered chair.

The suite is the same size as their regular rooms, but with clever partitioning and nicely designed furnishings, it feels both open and spacious as well as giving some privacy. And the lighting is designed nicely so that you can turn on the lights in the entry, living area and bedroom separately.

It really worked well for us-my daughter, a college student, could stay up late surfing the internet (free) without keeping me awake, and I could wake up earlier without disturbing her.

The breakfast is nothing special, but it comes free. Wireless access is a bit slower than in some places, but free. If you don't have your own laptop there is a computer in the lobby for public use.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 22, 2009

This was our second visit to this particular hotel, and our LAST. (previous visit 11/07). Although 'recently' renovated, there were many cleanliness issues with our room. The box spring mattresses had rust-colored stains on them that appeared to run down the sides. The beds were uncomfortable and full-sized. The pillows had visible 'drool' stains on them, although the pillow cases were clean. There were hairs in the shower and tub, as well as on the shower surround. It seemed as if they wiped the shower down with someone's used towel. There was something sticky on the desktop, and my 5-year-old was upset because he put his hand in the unknown substance. When I spoke to the front desk girl, she stated that she was the only one working, she was new, and didn't know much. To her credit, she was pleasant. Another irritating thing was the fact that the hotel was not very busy, yet they lumped us all into a short block of rooms. I heard laughing, talking, and loud TV's into the wee hours. Luckily, our baby was behaved, because I am sure people would've heard him through the thin walls. Also, on the backside of the hotel is an overpass where loud trucks pass at all hours. Guess what our ground-floor room was right next to??? I can understand this when a hotel is full, but for Pete's sake, put your guests on the opposite side if there are rooms available! Our last stay at this hotel was fine, so that is why we stayed again. The rates are about $30 cheaper than surrounding hotels, but I definitely will spend the extra money next time.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Elyria hotels

Whitby, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2008

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn Elyria from Sept 29, 2008 to Oct 3rd, 2008. First off this hotel use to be an older hotel before they renovated it and now it's one of the hotels I would recommand to anyone visiting Elyria, Ohio to stay at. 2nd I booked my accommodation with this hotel over the phone on there 1-800 # without having to use a Credit Card. I found this to be an awesome deal. I used my CAA card to get a discount while I was at it. When I arrived at the hotel the staff at the front desk was friendly and very receptive to my arrival, very young girl at front desk but knew her stuff well. Accepted travellers cheques and cash right there! Hotel lobby was clean and well decorated! Got my room, grabbed my suitcases and headed up the elevator! Got a nice non smoking room and looked around the room. Very Very Clean, no damage to walls or anything and in the bathroom nothing was not broken! What a very nice room. The Cleaning ladies were very professional and very nice to me in the morning. The continental breakfast was held near the pool and it was in a nice clean room. Contained bagels, cereal, juices and toast. It filled me well! To fill you in I was down visiting my girlfriend in Ohio. I'm from Canada. Just one down fall to the hotel was when I was saying good nite to my girlfriend every night, we parked in the hotel parking lot and spent some time doing some stuff and we had security called on us one time because the car was not registered in the car overnight list. So if your doing what I did, then don't park in the lot late at night!

Other then that everything was well at the hotel! They had tons of tourist info at the front desk!

• Liked — Great Staff, Nice Clean Hotel, Nice Clean Rooms!
  • Disliked — Nothing Hotel Was Great!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Mike_Emile_Hall
FL
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Hotel has no internet access which made it difficult to check in online for flight home (had to go to the Best Western next door!). Although the front desk staff was friendly, they were no help as they said they had no computer or printer either!
Beds were uncomfortable and double not queen.

• Disliked — No Business center/internet access
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Midwest
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend in September 2007 for it "Pet Friendly policy" and there was a pool for my son to play in. He was positivley giddy about this fact. A Mom and son trip and a pool!!

The hair dryer was broken and the outlet that one would most logically plug an iron into was not working.

The staff was very polite but didnt have answers for much of anything. Odd

Also, apparently there is a shrine of sorts locally and huge gathering of people make the trip to the area annually (?).

I thought it odd and inconvenient for all involved as the hotel set up this religous group in a room between the pool and the main foyer.

One could not get to nor from the OVER CHLORINATED pool (as in eyes burning and I am not even in the water) without triapsing thru the back of the room where this goup was meeting.

I wont stay here again

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We checked in late (midnight) on a weekday into a king room, which was fairly nicely decorated. Upon pulling back the sheets, my husband discovered a sealed plastic bag with the remnants of cookies or brownies in it. He called the front desk to inform the woman there, who offered to have a new set of linens brought up. We declined, as (1) it appeared that there were no crumbs or other items directly on the sheets, and (2) we were exhausted. It occured to us only the next day that most likely the sheets were never changed from the prior guest - which made us feel like we needed a Karen Silkwood decontamination shower!

Note that there was no apology from the front desk, nor an offer to have us change rooms. I can only assume that had we taken her up on her offer for new sheets, we would have had to make the bed ourselves.

The next morning my husband took the "evidence" down to the front desk, where he was met with a shrug and a mention of it being a housekeeping issue. When I tried to elicit at least an apology from someone, a young woman at the desk said, gee, I just got here, and an older woman wouldn't even look at me. Please note that neither my husband nor I raised our voices or made threats - we just wanted someone to admit that they screwed up!

My husband and I have done quite a bit of traveling in the past 30 years. We have NEVER complained to anyone about a stay at an economy hotel, because we understand that you get what you pay for, and all we are looking for is a clean, quiet place to stay for about 10 hours. We have been in more Red Roof Inns than I could possibly count, and have always been generally satisfied. This, however, was truly unacceptable, and you can bet we'll be contacting the corporate office, as well as whatever health board regulates this hotel.

Stayed August 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Best Western Inn
Days Inn Amherst
#1 of 2 in Amherst
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria? Share your experiences!