“The Good, the bad, and the sad”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel on our way to another destination. It was very easily accessible from I-90. We had a little wait for check-in, but the front desk staff were VERY friendly. Unfortunately, the room smelled like stale cigarettes. My daughter and I both have allergies and she has asthma, so sleeping in a room with third-hand smoke is not a good idea. (It's not a good idea for anyone, but especially not us.) We asked for another room, but the room they offered us smelled worse than our original room. It actually had an ashtray in it, and they said they had no others.
We should have changed hotels, but we have a four year old and we were tired, so we dealt with it. One of the employees offered to spray some air freshener. I explained that spraying chemicals on top of the cigarette smell might make it smell better, but would not be good for allergies/asthma. Luckily, we were able to open the window. There was no screen and we were on the first floor, so I didn't feel especially safe. Our room also faced the expressway and our daughter had a very difficult time getting to sleep with the sound of tractor trailors going by. The pull out sofa was in terrible condition. The arms of the sofa were literally black. When we opened it up, the mattress was ripped on the sides. There was a microwave and fridge, which were clean, and things appeared to be clean on the surface, but it was just hard to get past the other issues.
The pool is old and needs an upgrade, but it appeared to be clean. It was very cold, however, as a window at the very top of the complex was open letting the outside cold air in. A staff member indicated that it had been opened a few days prior when it was very hot and that a call had been put in for it to be closed. The next day we went back and it was still open.
We had some trouble with the internet. I called and the manager reset it, which helped a great deal. She was very friendly and even came down to our room to check the status.
The breakfast was ok. I think I was just too turned off by the room for any food to be appealing. There was a waffle maker, fruit, breads. Plenty of seating.
Upon checkout, I stated our issues to the manager. She said she was very sorry about the smell and when I told her about the black arms on the sofa and ripped mattress, she acted surprised. I asked when their next renovation was and she said 2016. I said they might want to step it up.
It was very disappointing that we were offered any sort of refund or credit. A 15% off coupon was attached to our receipt. I can guarantee I will not be using it at their hotel and have since resolved to STAY ONLY AT NONSMOKING HOTELS!!!!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room that does not face the expressway and that does not smell like...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
RRIGMElyriaOH, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Im so your stay wasn't up to par for you and your family. It is not the intention of the hotel to sell undesireable rooms to any of our guest. We've recently set in place a plan to make some changes to the Inn. I assure you that your comments/ concerns are taken quite seriously. And again I do apologize for your unpleasant experience.

RRI, Elyria

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I chose this hotel on the way home from a trip to the East Coast. Having read reviews the previous night, I kept it in mind for the next day. We had a little difficulty getting to it from I-80, as there are no signs directing you to the businesses off Rt. 57. Before committing, I checked out the place. The lobby was clean and presentable, the hallways were neat and tidy, so we decided to take a chance. No red flags went up in my mind at my initial look. The lady at check-in was friendly and our first-floor room was neat and clean. The rugs were clean, appearing almost new and the linens looked and smelled fresh. The beds were comfortable and just what we needed for a good night's sleep. Our four-year-old loved the pool. Unfortunately, the WiFi was terribly weak in our room and many times it would just cut off. The breakfast bar (served near the pool in patio tables and plastic chairs) was not too exciting. If you choose to partake, you will likely need to fortify it later. Also, skip the coffee and get it elsewhere. That said, I think this Red Roof is pretty good and don't let the surroundings (Midway Mall, Lowe's) deter you from trying it out.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you so much for your review. It means alot to us when we hear that we are doing a good job. I will certainly pass the comments on to all of the staff. And we do hope to hear from you again. Till your next stay!!

RRI, Elyria

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Gotta say we found the RRI to be just thisclose to being a dump. It's wedged into a narrow strip of land between a Lowe's and some highway on-ramps. No screens or safety latches on our first floor room window so we found it quite convenient to load in our luggage from the parking lot thru the window. Our room was called a suite which confused us at first, then we decided it was because of a small orange wall between the toilet area and the bed. We couldn't really tell if the debris on the floor was offensive or not as the room was quite dark and several of the lamps didn't work. The very weak signal of the wireless internet was intermittent but we found we could connect up to the complimentary wifi from Lowe's. The morning light shining in through the curtains which would not stay closed was quite effective in waking us up early and getting us on our way. Goodbye semi dumpy Red Roof Inn Elyria....

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ohByJingo
RRIGMElyriaOH, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn and Suites, Elyria. I do apologize for the room not being up to par upon check in. That is certainly not the impression we want to leave on our guest. We have review all of your comments and we're looking at various options to remedy the problem areas.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Redroof Inn and Suites, Elyria

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Gave up on these guys 25 yrs ago - for some reason, took a shot at this one as we headed west. Mistake - slow check in - very old and tired appearance - room ok with newer paint. Big hassle in the parking lot at 2 AM - screaming and yelling. Breakfast terrible looking - but there was a Denny's nearby. Ok if you're spending $35/$40, but not otherwise.
Ok - will wait another 25 years.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Insguy73
RRIGMElyriaOH, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

At Red Roof Inn it is our goal to provide all of our guest with an enjoyable stay at an affordable price. i do apologize that you felt that you didn't receive either. I hope in the future you will try us again and see that we are better than your review. Thank you again and I hope you have a great day!!!

Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Red Roof is one of the better places in the Oberlin area to stay. Rooms are large and adequately appointed and the price is right. The check out staff was friendly and helpful. The view from the room wasn't much; but I recently paid three times as much for Fairfield that wasn't nearly as nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RRIGMElyriaOH, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you for the nice review of the hotel. We appreciate our guests feedback. Stop and see us again soon and enjoy our newly upgraded breakfast coming in May. Thank You. -Mike G.M.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

While knowing that this was a lower-star hotel, I booked it mainly for the free breakfast, internet, and pool. The breakfast bar was so pathetic that my husband and I had to go out both mornings we were there to eat. The pool didn't look too hot so we never swam. The beds were so small we considered trying to push them together to sleep.

The internet worked well, TV was fine, and the room was clean. It just wasn't what we thought we were buying.

Room Tip: Only get a room with two beds if you are sleeping alone. They're full mattresses which doesn'...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RRIGMElyriaOH, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations during your visit. I hope you will understand your experience was the exception and not the rule. Please give us another chance to prove it. My staff and I take pride in our hotel and will absolutely do our very best to continue to get better with our product and our service. -Mike.

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The building is well-maintained, cheerfully decorated, clean, and in a modern, well-kept (safe-feeling) area. The room had nice touches like a fold-out couch, fridge, hair dryer, coffee maker and supplies, a safe, microwave, iron, and ironing board. Everything was in good repair, and we didn't hear excessive road noise or footfalls above us. Our family of five slept comfortably and peacefully. A reasonably varied complimentary breakfast sent us on our way quite satisfied with our Red Roof Inn stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank FBG-Tick
RRIGMElyriaOH, Front Office Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Wow!!! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! We truly are greatful for your business, we value the fact that you and could've stayed anywhere. I would also like to thank you for the wonderful review we received. It makes us proud that we made your stay an enjoyable one. If you are ever back in our area please feel free to give us a call.

Thank you, R.L Otero
Front Desk Manager RRI

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Best Western Inn
Cambria Hotel & Suites Avon - Cleveland
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
10 mi away
Red Roof Inn Cleveland - Westlake

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Cleveland - Elyria? Share your experiences!