“Don't Ask for Carry-out”
Review of House of Japan

House of Japan
Ranked #18 of 228 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tuttle Crossing Rd. and Blazer Parkway
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I went to this restaurant because it was across the street from a hotel that allowed service dogs in training to stay. When I entered, I clearly asked in plain English if i could get carryout and wait for the takeout at the bar. The woman/owner handed me a menu. I ordered from the menu she handed me, and then, after I ordered, she came up to me and said we don't do carryout. Then she said we'll go ahead. Then she wanted to know why I didn't want to eat in, and I said I had a dog at the hotel that I didn't want to leave alone. Then she proceeded to tell me this awful story about how weird it was that people were so attached to their dogs that they committed suicide with them. She had this evil sneer on her face. i waited a long time for my order, but being tired from a long drive, I didn't complain. Finally got my order. It was not worth waiting for. They piled noodles and dry chicken on top of fried rice (thought I was just getting noodles and chicken) and there were just a handful of veggies, mainly overcooked zucchini.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We ate here for valentines day and were happy as always! They got us in 10 minutes before our reservation time, the drinks are reasonably priced and the food is amazing!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a place to come for the teppan-style grill preparation, with the chef cooking for people sitting around the grill. It gets quite busy with families and large groups. It's not the place to go for Japanese food or presentation.

1  Thank MiBo
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

My only complaint is that our chef was not outgoing and very boring.
The food is worth it and you can make your own entertainment with a group of friends! They have a egg yoke sauce that is very popular but I thought it was way too rich. Next time, I may ask for a little bit. The usual habatchi sytle meals or a sushi menu is also available.
Great for lunch or dinner, just take a group and make your reservation first.

1  Thank CinCin2Go
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I am a bit of a Japanese Steakhouse aficionado. Could I order in Japanese? Sure, but I don't. The number of Japanese steakhouses I have been to is easily in the double digits, just in this area.

There are constants. They are going to have Filet, Shrimp and Chicken. You can bet on Lobster, too, for Hibachi. They are going to do that noisy racket with their knife and spatula. They are going to start off everything with a eyebrow-brazing flame, and everyone in the group is going to gasp as though it is their first time.
The guy is going to do the volcano with the onion, he's gonna do the "Japanese egg-roll".

Oh, he's so witty.

And they are going to have YUM-YUM sauce. That amazing cream sauce that is part mayo, part paprika, and part awesomeness. It goes well with everything - shellfish, steak, rice, veggies, soda, straw wrappers..... Seriously, it could make a roof shingle taste good enough to eat.
The good steakhouses will give you all you want. The REALLY good steak houses will bring you a giant squeeze bottle of the stuff before you begin.

At least, before this weekend I considered Yum-yum sauce a constant. As dependable as the sunrise, death, and taxes. Yum yum sauce is to Japanese Steakhouses as popcorn is to a movie theater.

Not so at House of Japan. Not. so.

But you see, it should be. House of Japan does not have Yum-Yum sauce, and House of Japan does not have food good enough to make you forget that it isn't there. There it is, plain as day. Oh, you'll read other reviews that will say "They have fuji sauce, which is just what they call yum-yum sauce".

They gave us a sauce, They gave the ginger sauce (The brown sauce that is supposed to taste good but you won't eat it cause you have YUM-YUM sauce). and they gave us some impostor mustard based watery thin sauce that was somewhat spicy and roughly the same color as Yum yum sauce. This was the fuji sauce.

Saying they are the same is like saying that vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream are the same. Technically, they are both ice cream. Or better yet, it's like saying that a white Prius and a white Lamborghini are the same - they are both white cars, right?

No. Nope. Not a chance.

And sadly, the food isn't good enough here to go without yum yum sauce. The fuji sauce made everything taste worse, which I didn't think was possible. I had the shrimp, which I realize can vary by season, but these were pathetic. They were shrimp shrimps. They gave me plenty - that wasn't the issue. The shrimp were small and meek.

My son had the chicken, which was overcooked significantly and bland.. My mom had the chicken, too, which was overcooked by a different chef. (We were in a large party with two chefs)

The fried rice had half the egg that most steakhouses use, and no veggies mixed in.

My aunt had the scallops. They were perfect.

We had a large party and a reservation for 7:30 - they sat us at 8:30. Glad we had a reservation.

The menu prices were about 5 - 10% higher than other Japanese Steak Houses.

So, to sum everything up-

Don't feed the fish, eat the scallops, plan plenty of time, and make a brief stop off at one of the other bajillion Japanese Steakhouses to pick up a vat of yum-yum sauce before you go to House of Japan - it's the only way you're gonna like it.

2  Thank avianman