“Could Be Great”

Add it.
Ashland & Highland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I always give restaurants two chances, and so it is with this place. I usually do not review places that are near where I live, but I thought this deserved one. The first time I was here was unispiring, especially the food. So after the second visit, here are my observations.

Pros: Big open space, well decorated and clean. Menu is good, especially for lunch. Certain items are MUCH bettter thah others. Their Beef on weck sandwich is outstanding, maybe the best I have ever had. Anything chicken is not good.

Cons: I think this place is getting caught up in the Central Ohio death spiral. It wants to be something more, with the name, and the rat pack stuff and tucked leather booths. But when you walk in, you realize that it is just a sports bar with TV's all over the place.

I hope this place survives, but since I have made a living gambling, the bet is that it won't. Too much temptation to sell chicken wings, beer, and put up OSU memorbilia. My advice would be to either go all the way, or pull the plug.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We went on a Wednesday night around 7. It wasn't crowded at all. Our server (Kyle) was very attentive to our family of five. I can't remember the name of the menu items, but we all loved the cream of mushroom soup and the buffalo chips appetizer. My son said his chicken sandwich was delicious, my husband, son and daughter really liked their flatbread pizzas, and I thought the spinach salad was wonderful. I was disappointed that they were out of derby pie as well as items to make brushetta appetizer. Nonetheless, we will return, and I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The restaurant has been updated with new menu, new management and new chef. Very nice decor with lots of TVs. I had a grilled cheese, which has four kinds of cheese, tomatoes, and a delicious sauce. My husband had roast beef on a "weck" bun, a house specialty. Fries were great. I also had some delicious New York cheesecake. The new manager loves to create new cocktails. There is a Buckeye martini that is outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant!