Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Dublin
“Our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I were there for one night. The room was clean; not much space in the bedroom. Huge bathroom! Huge closet! We couldn't take advantage of the dinner served in the evening, because of gluten and dairy allergy issues. Looked like a full meal, however. All in all, a good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Jessica M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for recently staying with us. I am happy that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. I love the large bathrooms and closets here too! We have a variety of suites available to accommodate our travelers, please call me next time so we discuss the perfect space for you and your husband. Also, we keep your feedback in mind when looking at the dinner menu. It varies daily to account for different tastes and diets, but we always want to consider ways to improve it. Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
UP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I travel often across the country on business, and stay almost exclusively at Homewood Suites. They are my favorite place to stay, and while some are better than others, I have not stayed at one I would not recommend. So when we visited my son in Columbus over Easter weekend, staying at a Homewood was an easy choice. Well, this one ranks at the bottom of my list and the first time (if you like breakfast)I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Why that negative impression? First, this is an older hotel, and while our room looked like it had been updated cosmetically recently and overall was OK, (we had a 2 bedroom suite), it seemed the furniture was forgotten about, mainly the chair and ottoman in the front room. It was a light gold color and the material was old and worn, and the ottoman had a large rip in it. Very tacky and something that belongs at the Salvation Army more-so than a nice hotel.
I heard others mention the jacuzzi was out of order, and that was the same case for us, but we have one at home, so that was not a deal breaker either.

These were actually minor issues, and something I could have easily overlooked, however my wife and I enjoy a nice breakfast, and this is where this Homewood Suites fell far short. The hot foods themselves were OK, (except for the soggy and mushy potato tots), the attendants were not. At most Homewoods, the attendants are always hoovering over the food area, keeping it clean, inviting and fully stocked. They all seem to take a real pride in their work, and it shows. Here they seemed to not care and did as little as possible to get by. They come out of the kitchen to refill the food as needed, often oblivious to the other items needing attention, spills or messy counters, and rushed back to hide in the kitchen.

Need examples?
My first morning, I went to get my coffee, and saw only paper cups. (I do not like drinking hot coffee from a paper cup). I know all Homewoods have real cups available, not seeing any attendant available, I searched the cupboards for where they were stored. Unsuccessful, I finally went in the kitchen, (where the 2 attendants were gabbing in a personal conversation) and asked. He did come out and went to another cupboard where he took a out a tray of real cups. Why were they not out to begin with? I suspect it was less dishes to wash.....On Easter, there were cups out already when I arrived, however the next morning....no cups and no attendant. But I knew where they were hid, so I helped myself to enough for our entire family. FYI- Even though the attendant saw we had cups on our table, he never put cups out for the entire morning and all other guests drank from paper cups.

Next, while the eggs and food were OK, they often would run out and be slow in refilling. I had the last muffin and when my wife wanted one, it was almost 20 minutes before they were replaced. The same goes for the plates and other foods.....they were always low or out, and seldom refilled without asking. The last morning, both the plates and bowls were empty. A large group had just come down for breakfast and were all standing around looking around for them. I needed a new plate and a bowl too, so I made another trip to the kitchen and asked for plates and bowls...He did bring out some plates, but never any bowls.....frustrated my wife and others gave up waiting, and just ate her cereal from a juice cup.

When I went to get some orange juice, I found the pitcher empty. Tired of trips to the kitchen to get help, I put the empty pitcher out on the top of the counter, assuming on their next trip out, they would notice this obvious large empty pitcher. Nope, after 3 trips where he came out refilled one item and rushed back to the kitchen, I again had to ask him to refill the juice.....

Homewood's always have some type of fresh melon, or other sliced fruit on the breakfast bar....not here. Of the 3 days we stayed they had nothing like this (besides the usual basket of apples or oranges) , on Easter morning, she did put out a bowl of canned fruit cocktail though, but it was quickly emptied and not refilled.....Looking for English muffins, I saw they only had one tray of breads out (instead of the usual 2) with only bagels and bread on it. Thinking they had just taken the other tray in to refill it, I waited.....and waited. Finally I made another trip back to the kitchen, asking if they had any English muffins, only to be told they were frozen and not available. They never brought out any more trays and the single tray that was out quickly emptied, except for a single slice of white bread and one bagel......

I think you get the point....if this had been the same employee every morning, I could pin the blame on them. But we had 3 different attendants with similar poor results, so I think this hotel management needs to take the blame here and step up and address this properly. We stayed over the weekend, so we did not have the evening reception/ meal, and can not address if it was as poorly presented. However, after 3 days and 3 different attendants of mediocre breakfasts, I doubt they are much better.

We had stayed a nearby Hampton before, and it was much nicer. On our next visit, unless we need a large room again, it will definitely be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jessica M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you for being a loyal Homewood Suites guest. For this recent stay, I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that we will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us.
We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration. Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in town.
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Treat your guests properly? I have NEVER seen anything like this - first, the night manager refused to let my daughter use the fitness room (I have called ahead to make sure my daughter will be accommodated ((websites may not always be updated)), as she had an important game the next day, the staff lady set her up in the fitness room and the manager asked her to leave, giving her a ball to take to her room for an hour to "work out with". My son and I (we just wanted to use the pool) left the pool, to deal with this matter and our night was ruined, as this guy was not pleasant to deal with. The rest of the staff stated, well, let's just say this man is not very popular, so we retired to our room.
Secondly, being pulled out from the pool, which is located towards the front door has given me the chills - once back in the room, the heater did not work correctly, I was very cold all night. There was no need to call the front desk after the treatment we have just received.
Thirdly, during breakfast while getting coffee hoping to finally warm up, one of the woman guests (can not call her a lady) became vulgar towards some of the children in the line, staff member asked her to stop (correctly so), the guest became vulgar towards her, the staff member asked her to stop, guest would not, staff member asks for help from the management and guess what? Did not look like she was getting any help - at this point, she is under attack from the guest and her husband, no back up, even though she stated loudly that she will quit if the manager does not help her out - she ended up calling the police and running around repeating the guest's obscenities. I was not about to find out what happens next - went upstairs, packed my bags and left. Hotel or insane asylum?
I am a single Mom, who can not afford a week in Hawaii right now - I have done my research prior to our arrival, made the reservation in person, asked the questions important to us, booked a good restaurant, just wanted a nice evening and morning with my children. Well, these "management" guys ruined that, big time!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jessica M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Jennifer,
I’d like to apologize for the experience you had at the Homewood Suites Dublin. As a mother myself, I understand how complex travel can be with kids.You do a lot of prep work to relax. In your review, you touched upon several unsettling incidences from the staff to fitness center to breakfast. We strive to make you feel at home and welcome you like family, and it doesn’t seem like we met those goals this past weekend. You stated you have never seen anything like this, and I assure you this was a strange occurrence for us as well. We have shared these concerns with the staff, addressed these issues and will continue to strive to make our guests feel comfortable. We would love to welcome you back so you may have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation you deserve the next time you are in Dublin.
Leipsic, oh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was my third time staying at this hotel in Dublin. My first two times were with family. Each time it was a great experience. We stayed in a King Studio sweet which was nice. I recommend the two queen bedrooms suite. It is nice and spacious for familys. We stayed in the King because it was me my wife and daughter. We went there just to get out of town for the night and relax. We checked in went to the tuttle crossing mall for awhile. We ate dinner and then got back and relaxed. We went down to swim and sit in the hot tub and the hot tub was out of service. I honestly agreed with last post and would have also stayed at another hotel just to get use of the hot tub so I agree with updating the website.
We got back to the room and my wife started to run herself a bath so she could relax and as the tub was filling she noticed hairs floating in the water and we looked on the walls of the shower and saw hairs as well. I went down the the front desk and we were able to change rooms. That was nice but it just was a pain because we were relaxed and next thing you know were are changing rooms at 8pm at night. At checkout I was tempted to ask about a discount on our bill but I didn't.
All and all I'm not sure if I will return to this hotel as much as I like the location. I just didn't get to relax as much as I wanted to and when we got settled in then we had to change rooms. Time will tell to see if I will return or not

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jessica M, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate you selecting our hotel. I was glad to read from your review that you have visited us in the past and have had a good experience. I do however understand that this time you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel specifically regarding the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry that you found hairs in your bathroom and if this inconvenienced you in any way. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. We strive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that this issue does not occur again. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind.

Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the Dublin area.
Dublin, OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We are local Hilton Gold members and picked this hotel for a one night get away - so our expectations may be a little different than others. The main disappointment is that we specifically picked this location for the indoor Jacuzzi and Pool. When we headed down for our relaxing break from winter, we saw the sign "Spa out of service". Upon check out, we mentioned our disappointment and were told that it not only is out of order but will be completely removed. I suggested that updating the website would be helpful since this amenity is no longer offered. We would have chosen a different hotel if we had this information ahead of time. Staff did not seem overly concerned.

Other than that, there was no wastebasket in the bathroom - or we thought in the entire room although when we inquired at checkout it seems there may have been one under the sink.

Our room was not a suite with two rooms separated by doors as we usually encounter at Homewood Suites, so keep this in mind. The layout of the room was very strange - it had no closet, but just a shelf in a very inconvenient location where you felt like you were almost going to bump into the hangers when you passed by. From the outside it appears a utility closet juts into the space for this room so likely the layout is an exception.

Walls are thin, we heard children running around several times in the hall and in the room above.

Breakfast was below usual quality - runny eggs, very dry scones and often either water or OJ was absent for a time. We will not return.

Room Tip: Avoid room 318
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christina K, Assistant General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Caroline D:

My staff and management team appreciate you taking the time to communicate with us your recent stay and your concerns. My deepest apologizes for the concerns with your recent stay. We strive that to have every stay feel as if we are your Home away from Home and when that does not happen, we feel extremely concerned as being hospitable is our passion.

With regards to your concerns. Our indoor spa is currently closed as we are making improvements to the indoor recreational area. We have made sure that our website reflects this change so that our guests are well informed of our progress. Additionally, you had some concerns with the layout of your suite. The suite type that you and your family stayed in is one of our King Studio Suites which is the same square footage as a Queen One Bedroom Suite, but does not have the separate bedroom option. The closet in this particular suite is unusual as many of our suites have a spacious closet with mirrored doors.

We want to make sure that you and your family have the best experience we can offer so I would like to invite you and your family to stay with us again so we can show you the true hospitality and quality of hotel that we are. I will be in touch soon.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

It had been a while since I had stayed at a Homewood Suites; so I was pleasantly surprised. My suite had a microwaver, frig, living room area, 2 flat screen TVs, sofa, table & chair, cooking area, large bedroom and adequate bath area. It was very clean. Mitchell at the front desk was very helpful, professional and friendly. Welcomed me upon arrival. Will definitely stay here during my next trip to Dublin. Free manager's dinner of BBQ, salad and drink allowed me to stay in for the night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Christina K, Assistant General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Ronilynn777:

Surprises are great, especially when they are positive. We are thrilled to have been able to re-introduce you and your family to the Homewood Suites brand! Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor participants and thank you for highlighting the great customer service of Mitchell. As a team, we celebrate his "kudos" and look forward to visiting with you during your next visit to Dublin.

Assistant General Manager
Pierport, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Clean comfortable room. Price was good. Lots of accessible power outlets. The wireless internet service was slow. The bed was a bit firm for my taste and I would prefer a blanket in addition to the comforter. Bedding was not as comfortable as a typical Hampton Inn for example. I'd stay here again and recommend it it would be 5 stars with better bedding and faster internet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Christina K, Assistant General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbus / Dublin, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Pierport:

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your most recent stay with the Dublin Homewood Suites. Our goal is to meet your every need and exceed your expecations. I have some great news to share with you, this year we will be updating our bedding to feature a more comfortable, ultra-soft fabric that will give you "Suite Dreams". We are so excited to be able to offer this new addition to our guests! Additionally, regarding our internet, we have several networks at our hotel to accomodate the high traffic volume, but I will reach out to them to run a diagnostic test to ensure that our guests can "surf & download" at a great speed.

We look forward to visiting with you again during your next trip to Dublin, Ohio. Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your loyalty to Hilton!

Assistant General Manager