“BEDBUG PALACE”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Dublin
Winston-Salem NC
“BEDBUG PALACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have stayed at numerous hotels and have never seen a bedbug before. I have always assumed that somewhere, I've slept along side of one, but never personally experienced one - until last night at the Quality Inn on Tuller Road in Dublin (4/7/11). U N B E L I E V A B L E !!

After a long drive from North Carolina, I checked in and was pleased with the appearance of my room. I turned in about 11:00 at night. Bed seemed a little lumpy, but otherwise tolerable. At 2:45 a.m. I woke up with the sensation of something crawling on me, in several places. Realizing it wasn't a dream, I turned on the lights and found a bug on my shoulder, and three on my legs. As I looked more closely, and turned back the covers, I could see numerous small, round bugs moving around. They were on the matress. They were on the sheet I pulled back. There were some in between the top sheet and the blanket. There were some under my pillows. There were a few on my pillows. I pulled back the mattress and saw teams of them milling about on the box springs.

When I called the desk clerk, and asked him if, by chance, he has a bed which isn't covered in bugs, he asked if he could come to my room to check things out. He brought a styrofoam dinner plate, and he proceeded to pick several of them off of the sheets, and dropped them onto the plate. Then after inspecting them, and the box springs with the small colony of them moving around, he tried to tell me they were spiders.

Even if I was stupid enough to believe that the bedbugs were spiders - was that supposed to make me feel better? That perhaps my bed is covered in spiders? No - it didn't. Nonetheless, these were bedbugs. Plain and simple. And plenty of them.

I had to wander over next door to the Hampton Inn and ask if they could hook me up. Not wanting to roll over there with bugs in my hair, I had to take a long, hot shower at 3:00 in the morning, place my bedclothes in a plastic bag to be laundered, and check in. By the time I packed everything up and moved my stuff next door to the Hampton Inn, it was 4:00 a.m., and I couldn't sleep, because I still felt as though I had bugs crawling all over me, despite the shower, and the obviously cleaner, bug-free room.

Book a room at this joint on the "nice" end of town only if you have a biohazard suit, and/or you believe that your bed is infested with spiders, not bedbugs, and you're okay with that.

Emily Carter
Winston-Salem, NC

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank emily27055

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Powell
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Room was a 2 room suite with fridge and microwave. Included breakfast which was decent . TV's in the room were very old. The one in the loving room area was a consol with fading tube. Manager said new carpet and larger beds were coming soon. Overall very comfortable and good value for the money. Good location with restaraunts, bars, and movie theater in short walking distance.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank bizandtour
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

The management was very helpful, friendly and attentive. The room was clean and comfortable. The provided breakfast was generous and included a nice variety, including healthier choices beyond the usual sugar-infused fare often offered at other places.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank JMN23
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I had stayed here in the past, and the last time it was showing some signs of becoming a little run down. They had improved it a lot in the couple of years. They definately put a liitle money into the property. The staff has always been friendly to us. The location is good becasue it sits far enough off Sawmill Road to be quiet, but there is a connection to light so you can get out because traffic on Sawmill is savage. The continental breakfast was average for the Choice Hotels chain. The rooms were large with two TV's, and a very good selection of channels. The rooms also had some seperation between the bedroom area and the living room area, which is nice. They also have a refrigerator and microwave in every room. The hotel is with striking distance many restaurants, shopping, and not far from downtown Dublin, which is a nice visit. It is also within 10 minutes ish of the Columbus Zoo, which is one of the best zoos in the country. I will definately stay here again when I come back to Columbus.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank travelbobKalamazoo
Charleston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Staff was friendly. No problems checking in or out. Breakfast was to be expected... dining area a little tight. Room was clean and fairly recently updated... although appliances were older and furnings were slightly worn. Noise from the interstate was horrible though. Really could hear every vehicle that passed by.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
6 Thank weride02h-d
cincinnati
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

I was there with a school group for a water polo tournament. All info for paying for 11 rooms was sent prior to our arrival. Even though everything was to be charged through the school and was prearranged they would not accept the credit card info that was sent in. We had to recharge everything to a personal credit card. They could not find any of the info that was sent designating us a tax exempt organization. Hotel is run by an Indian family, They could not understand what we were trying to tell them and we couldn't understand them. The rooms were recently remodeled but old furniture and appliances were put back in. I had a TV, refrigerator and microwave but only two electrical outlets for them. No hot water in the shower at 8:00 at night. One room had a broken toilet. I heard every car and truck that went by on the highway.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel which was under renovation, which it needed. Fortunately, it was not noisy even though it backed up to the highway. It was evident that part of the room was renovated, but not the shower (the drain plug missing.) The furniture in the suite was dirty looking and I'm not sure if it was on the list to be replaced.
We did not stay for the continental breakfast, but opted to eat at the Bob Evans down the block. The people at the front desk were pleasant and asked how our room was, but it was hard to overlook the musty smell that hits you when you walked in the front door.
For a lower priced hotel it was ok, but would not chose to stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus Dublin
Hampton Inn Columbus Dublin
Extended Stay America - Columbus - Sawmill Rd.
Crowne Plaza Hotel Columbus - Dublin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Columbus Dublin
Cloverleaf Suites
Cloverleaf Suites
#12 of 22 in Dublin

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!