“What a ghetto ride!”

Dennison Depot Railroad Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Dennison
More attraction details
Owner description: small museum that highlights the movement of soldiers to their postings during the WWII years
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son was SO excited when we pulled up to his surprise. We got onto the train about 10minutes before the ride started. The story teller int he car started introducing herself and what she did in real life, then introduced the "elves". The "elves" were kids, probably in their early teens. They wore Christmas colors for the most part but only 1 person was dressed as an elf. One boy, about age 12, wore a shirt that said "who needs mistletoe with a face like this" and fleece pajama pants. Another girl probably about age 14, wore a white dress with garland on the sleeves and a totally non-Christmas-y skirt. VERY disappointing. The story teller lady read the story and it seemed to be over all too quickly. Upon nearing the "North Pole" the adults on one side of the train were asked to move so that the kids from the other could get in to see. The narrator told the kids they had to watch for "elves" but that the elves were very quick. Then, she would say "oh, did you see that one". Of course, there was nothing there and only 1 or 2 kids said they saw something. The North Pole toy factory was some old warehouse with no lights on or anything. There was an empty trailer not even attached to a truck. No Christmas decorations on this building whatsoever. I was SO disappointed as was my 4 year old son who turned to me and said "Mom, that's not the North Pole". During the ride, they tried to sing some songs, but frequently got interrupted by the conductor or santa (a cheesy one at that) and Mrs. Claus. They played "limbo" but that was simply the "elves" putting their hands on the seats in the aisles and the kids walking underneath. They gave out hot chocolate in styrofoam cups with some random logo on them. The cups were half full and so hot that it took a long time before my son and his friend could drink them. My son, who was so excited when he saw the train and is usually enamored by this sort of activity was really let down. He told me about 4 or 5 times that he was bored. He had more fun at the hotel we stayed out so that we could do this activity.

3  Thank Heather K
There are newer reviews for Dennison Depot Railroad Museum

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is the second time my family has hopped aboard the Polar Express Excursion. We opted for the coach seating this time instead of the First Class Ticket. Fun was had by all. The Volunteers go all out to give each family a memorable experience. The elves were very friendly and always stayed in character. The Conductor and Santa were very generous with autographs and lots kind words. Our family loves this trip and will return again in the future!! The Museum is very nice. We visited it on our first visit. The train station and town square are decorated for the holiday and perfect for pictures!

1  Thank Sheri G
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was our fourth Polar Express excursion and our grandchildren rated it the best. Very efficient personnel, elves on train were very friendly and involved the children at all times. Well worth a visit

2  Thank vjlj
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have been several times to the Polar Express and just love it. Our kids are now too old to believe so now we help out. Last year, 2011, we helped in the elf house which was pretty fun. The year before we helped set up the "North Pole". I am not sure why Miss Rebecca gave such a poor review. Sounds like some sort of sour grapes to me. I was there and there were no $4 cookies that I saw, the "rundown" neighborhood that you saw are actual homes that house some very nice people, and the "watered down" hot chocolate and cookies are made by some very hard-working people. As someone who has been on the ride and also volunteered, I can attest that Miss Rebecca's review is inaccurate and very negative. The Depot is a great hands on place for kids and the staff and volunteers are actually quite nice. We love the whole thing including the hot chocolate, the gift shop, and the cookies.

4  Thank JeanneM45-45
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was a very nice museum housed in an old historic depot and several train cars. If you are looking to see large trains, this is not really the place. This museum is more geared toward the history of the depot and the railroad industry itself; however there is a locomotive or two outside. Very kid friendly, educational and entertaining.