“Perfect Romantic Getaway”

and 1 more site!
White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We had a wonderful two nights at the White Oak Inn. My wife and I rented one of the cabins. It was clean and comfortable. We especially enjoyed the fireplace and the hot tub. We also enjoyed that the cabin is nestled up to the woods. Snow had freshly fallen, so the view was beautiful.

We enjoyed talking to the innkeepers, Yvonne and Ian. They are interesting and very friendly. They have fun inn pets (a dog and cats), and two sheep in the barn that you may feed crackers. They also prepare wonderful meals. The food was creative and delicious. (We had two breakfasts and one dinner in the dining room.)

This inn provides a perfect getaway or romantic weekend. It's located remotely, so you can "escape" for a few days. (Incidentally, if you want lots of activity or the hustle-and-bustle of a nearby city, this location might be a bit too remote for you. But, if you look hard, there are some nearby activities. I'd recommending looking into Mt. Vernon or possibly Coshocton for activities.)

My wife and I would certainly return again, if and when we have the chance, and we'd return with friends or family to make a weekend of it sometime. We highly recommend the White Oak Inn.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey74

Reviewed November 28, 2008

I can't say enough wonderful things about The White Oak Inn. I planned a surprise get-a-away for my husband to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and it couldn't have worked out any better!! Yvonne and Ian did everything possible to make our stay with them special. We renewed our wedding vows during a beautiful ceremony with Rae which was arranged by Yvonne and Ian. Our room was beautiful and all the extras were great!! The food was wonderful, the conversation interesting and our time spent there will always be remembered. They definitely go out of their way to make your stay special. We will definitely return to the White Oak Inn. Thanks again Yvonne and Ian for making our speial day a day that we will never forget!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StockdaleTraveler
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We used a coupon from iloveinns.com to get one night free with the purchase of another night for $140.

The inn is a large, white-painted 19th-century house and separate cabins, on a quiet country road in Walhonding, Ohio. The rooms are decorated with antique furniture and historical portraits. There's a beautiful old piano in the living room and a nice fireplace. It's all very quaint and antiquey.

The rooms were very quiet and clean. The shower pressure was great, the water hot. Be advised that the small combo TV/DVD player (less than 19") only gets about four TV channels, and only three with clarity. The bed was comfortable, although our headboard sometimes clacked against itself when we moved. I couldn't get cellular reception with Verizon, but strangely, my wife could, and she's on Verizon as well, but with a newer phone. There are no phones in any of the rooms in the main house. (I don't know about the cabins.)

There was ample parking.

Breakfast (included in the price) was fantastic; they ask beforehand to let them know of any allergies or dislikes. One morning we had really good pancakes and sausage, with mixed fruit, juice, and coffee. The next morning I think it was a choice of an omelette or bread pudding.

They do offer a prix fixe dinner, but there is no menu; a book in the room just tells you that it's about $35-$40 per person. (You can bring your own alcohol, since it's a dry county.) A nearby diner called Spearman's on route 36, in Millwood, offers very homey (and good) food for about $6-$8 per entree. Or you could drive into nearby Mount Vernon for chain restaurants.

The owners were polite and helpful when asked, but I would not describe them as outgoing. (E.g., they're not big on saying hello or introducing themselves.) And that's fine; maybe they don't want to be intrusive. Or maybe they're just not gregarious folks and don't want to fake it. Just don't expect them to chat you up, tell stories, or say much at all. Also, be sure to ask what the push-button code is to open the front door yourself, lest you be forced to keep ringing the doorbell. (They'll tell you, but you have to ask.)

The maids did a good job cleaning. However, we left a tip in the room before breakfast and returned to find the room clean but the tip still there. I found one maid still cleaning and handed it to her directly; the other (older) maid said they expect people to leave tips at the end of their stay instead. Whatever. No place else in the world does that. What if the person who cleaned your room one day is off the next day?

This is a great place to stay if you want peace and quiet. It's clean and comfortable, but you will be bored if you hang around all day (unless you're there to do a lot of reading). Do not stay here if you want to watch TV at all. There are Amish attractions in the general area, but be prepared to drive a few miles or more. Kenyon College is about 15 minutes away. The Johnson-Humrick Museum at Roscoe Village has some really interesting Asian and American Indian art, as well as some antique guns. They charge admission ($3 per person), but it was pretty cool. For the rest of Roscoe Village, be advised that the in-character actors are only there on weekends in October.

If you're disabled, staying in the main house would be a challenge, due to the stairs. However, there are the separate cabins next door.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank WashDCMan
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2008

Thank you to the writer for this review. I'd just like to clarify a couple of things he mentioned. First is that telephones are available in all our rooms on request. Second is that I am sorry if these guests felt we were reticent. We usually try to take our cue from the guests themselves as to whether they wish to chat or to be left alone. If they ask us questions about the inn or ourselves we're always happy to chat, otherwise we leave them alone. Apparently we misread what these guests would have liked and I apologize for that. And lastly, as far as the tipping situation, to avoid any misunderstandings, our housekeepers are instructed not to touch money left in a guest room unless there is a note indicating it is a tip. We thank this guest for his concern that the right person be rewarded for her hard work, and can assure him that our housekeepers work as a team and share all tips with one another.

Reviewed July 26, 2008

What a wonderful find the White Oak Inn is. My sister, Mother and I came to visit with my cousins who live near the Inn. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Ian and Yvonne were so nice to us. My Mom is a diabetic and they were so accommodating to her dietary needs. Breakfast was wonderful! I loved the property, especially their sheep! We will plan a return visit soon!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam F
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I was getting ready to write about our stay at the White Oak Inn when I came across the previous writers post. I am dumbfounded by the content. They are clearly not writing about the same inn we stayed at or the writer should stay at anonymous box hotels and chain motels where breakfast consists of boxed cereal and rubber eggs.
Let me start by saying that my husband and I have been staying at B&Bs regularly for the past 20 years. We take anywhere from four to six trips annually. During our travels we have come across a wide array of properties, some are OK and some are outstanding.
The White Oak Inn belongs to the later category. It is a wonderfully quiet place in a pastoral setting. The owners Ian and Yvonne Martin are quintessential innkeepers that intuitively know how to treat their guests well. Our room in the main house was charming, comfortable and immaculately clean. The food was outstanding, imaginative and nicely presented. Breakfast was a treat. The cookies wonderful.
We have already booked our next trip to the White Oak Inn on our way to visit friends in Missouri. This time we are staying in a cottage.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle H
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Great acerage nice property...a bit off the beaten path!

The emails are canned claiming they are busying making cookies for your arrival.

NOT TRUE...the cookies are not fresh and are hard and in a cookie jar in the den on the coffee table.

Though we called to tell them we were on our way and close by ...the did NOT bother to plug in the window unit Air Conditioner in our room. (Even though the temperature was over 90 degrees outside.)The room was warm when we arrived.

The room was nice size and the bathroom was nice.

The goats are cute!

The food was very average.

My husband went to the kitchen for ice and found our WALMART chicken breast thawing on the counter (which they made us for dinner) the bread was from WALMART and was also sitting on the counter! Frozen chicken Walmart ummm Lovely!

They tried to make breakfast fancy with fancy choices when we would of prefered homecooked bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits etc..They gave us two choices!...
***Most B&B ask you what you'd like!!! And then cook it for you!

We were the only guests so the owner enjoyed telling us his life history. Quote "He got roped into owning this bed and Breakfast"

The toilet handle broke and when my husband told him about it ....He gave a look of exasperation....saying "do you want me to fix it!" ( WELL OF COURSE!)

The Charm was just not there for us!!!! We have been used to Family like greetings warm cookies made just for us on arrival etc.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank HonestOhio
Reviewed November 3, 2007

I want to tell you what a wonderful refuge the White Oak Bed & Breakfast is. The Inn is located on many acres in a wooded setting. It is the perfect place to unwind and relax. I was only able to stay one night, but I will definitely be back for a longer stay. Innkeepers Yvonne and Ian make you feel right at home. They know their stuff!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DallasPam

Been to White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!