“The cat was more important than the paying guests.”

and 1 more site!
White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Even though we stated upon arrival that my husband is very allergic to cats, the car roamed the halls and common rooms. They did remove it, upon a second request, but it was back roaming shortly thereafter. Ian told my husband that 'the cat lives here, too.' There was no mention of cats in the house in the onlilne information. This is the first bed and breakfast we have stayed in where we were made to feel that they were doing us a favor allowing our group to stay there. We were very disappointed with the lack of hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lovetotravel0426
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

I am so very sorry that this guest felt less than fully welcome at our inn. Although it happens infrequently it's always a disappointment to us when somebody's stay fails to meet their expectations.

The Inn is our personal home and that of our pets. We understand that some people have allergies or don't like pets, so we take special care to mention their presence in several places on our website, and as part of our reservation process, so that guests are making an informed decision about whether to stay here with pets in residence. Although we will try to remove the pets on request, keeping them restrained is a very difficult task, and as these particular guests discovered, you can't explain allergies to a cat!

There are newer reviews for White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I wish there was some way to give less than a 1 dot review because the owner of this place couldn't have been more heartless and inhospitable. When we arrived to check in after a very long day of traveling at 8:40 pm the owner lead me to the cabin I'd booked for one night's stay. All properties remotely near the amish country were booked and this place was the only available that seemed decent (although for $240/night wouldn't normally book) When my husband brought our groggy, tired, 16 month son out of the car to the cabin, the owner said "this is a problem" we don't allow children; MUCH to my surprise. She threw us out. When I asked to see the inn policy she said I had to look on my computer, so I did. It says "the INN is NOT SUITABLE for children under 12" NOT the "private" cabins which are apart from the inn/house. AND, by the way, when you agree to the terms on checkout it does not say "NO CHILDREN." When I asked how she could be so heartless and discriminate against kids, she smugly replied "children aren't protected under the law" so DO NOT patronize this place, they advertise it's close-it's not- it's at least a half hour drive from amish country and the "private" cabins are right next to each other. parking stinks too. I have never been so disgusted with a place in my entire life and I've traveled the world.

Room Tip: do not stay at this place
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank laura r

I'd like to thank this guest for pointing out that our inn is not suitable for families with young children. Many of our guests come here to enjoy quiet time alone together without children around. I make no apology for our policy of no children at the inn or for enforcing that policy consistently.

Although our policy about children is stated on the policies page of our website, as these guests have pointed out, it was not reiterated on our online reservation request form. I do apologize for that and will change the form to avoid future misunderstandings.

In this particular situation the guests were not forthcoming with the information that they were traveling with a toddler. When asked how many guests they answered TWO. When asked for the names of all guests they gave their own names. There was no mention of a third person or a third name, so it was a surprise to us when they arrived with a young child.

At that time we did the best we could with a difficult situation. Although the child couldn't stay here, I did offer to find them alternative accommodations and called a nearby hotel and booked them a room suitable for a family.

I'm sorry if the guest felt I was being smug when I answered her question.

I hope they enjoyed the rest of their stay in Amish country.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were there on the first night of the presidential debate and we could barely see it on the pint size screen in our room. The dinner was very good but when the waiter realized that he had not brought plates for us to eat on I knew that all was not right. After the plates were brought I found out that they know how to cook there. Cornish game hens on a bed of orzo mixed with Parmesan cheese and shredded carrots was wonderful as was the nice assortment of cheeses on the appetizer platter. The breakfast featuring both a frittata and a blueberry pancake with powdered sugar were both wonderful. Outside the leaves were falling and it was a beautiful site to see. Probably the worst thing to happen was that I had taken an empty Vitamin Water bottle and filled it with water and a powdered drink mix and stuck it in the hall fridge to cool overnight. When I went to get it the next morning I found that another one of the guests though it was one of the free refreshments provided by the hosts. I hope they got my cold!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mr90bod

Thank you for the reminder that we need to provide labels and marker pens for people to write their names on articles left in the refrigerator.

You'll be happy to hear that we recently upgraded the television sets in all the inn rooms.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meals during your stay. We take great pride in our food.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This owner really know how to market... Not a good value... Location is great, but that is it.
For over $400.00 with dinner one night it is only worth $150 at best. Dinner was not more than you would get at Denney s During intro before dinner owner was drinking but saying he could not offer his guest wine. Than after dinner he joined us at our table and was drinking more wine. When ask how many glasses of wine he had that evening-- he answer was about 5.
Please do not waist you money on this place unless you have some much money you really do not care..

Room Tip: We had a room-- like motel 6, not in the original home. Farm was 2 sheep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ted e
Woiyvonne, Owner at White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is greatly disappointing to us when a guest feels that The White Oak Inn did not meet their expectations. Fortunately, this is a rare occurrence. We have a history of appealing to a diverse group of travelers. Many of our guests return year after year and bring or send their valued friends and family members.

The package referenced in this comment was for TWO nights lodging and dinner for two. It is a very popular package enjoyed by many of our visitors and most of them tell us it's an excellent value. We take great pride in our meal service and the fact that our food is made fresh daily from locally sourced ingredients. Guests frequently request copies of our recipes.

The innkeeper host normally joins our guests before dinner to welcome them to our dining room and explain the menu. All guests are informed at the time of booking that local liquor laws do not permit us to provide alcohol to guests, but they are welcome to enjoy their own during their stay. I regret that a flippant remark about the amount of wine the host had consumed may have been misinterpreted as a serious answer by this particular guest.

No matter how many happy guest we have had throughout the years, the few who might have questions or experience disappointment are important to us.

Although the inn has not been a working farm for many years, we keep two very amusing pet sheep in the barn. They thoroughly enjoy being visited by guests bearing gifts of crackers or gummi bears.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

If you want to be off the beaten track, both literally and figuratively, this is the place for you. You can sit on the porch and read, and just let the quiet woods seep into you. If you need to stay wired and in touch with the big world out there, this might be a little too rural. :)

Breakfasts were absolutely delicious and with several courses and choices every day. Our room was fine -- a little cramped, but we are three large people so we expected that. Beds looked a bit worn but we slept just fine. All in all, a lovely rural hideaway -- I just wish we had had more time there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Frankie731
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our stay! Great place for a romantic get-a-way. Very quiet place to relax and close to Ohio's amish country! The food was amazing! The staff was very friendly and gave good advice on things to do in the area. We will be back for another stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt142
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The White Oak Inn is an extraordinary place…. THE BEST B&B I have ever stayed at!
Beautiful setting, quiet and peaceful…in the middle of Ohio’s Amish Country… this was just what we needed. My fiancé purchased the Living Social voucher as a gift to me… even though we traveled past the expiration date; Ian and Yvonne Martin were wonderful hosts and honored the voucher without hesitation.

When we arrived we were greeted by Ian with Dougal (a well-mannered and gentle black lab) at his side. The house was beautifully furnished with a welcoming foyer and an inviting great room with a gorgeous, 19th century, square grand piano, which Ian had said we were welcome to play. (my fiancé’ is a musician, and we were delighted to find out so is Ian)

The first thing we did, after Ian showed us to our room, was to take a nap… it was so comfortable and relaxing. There was no cell phone service but we were told we could call home to give our family the Inn number in case we were needed. We opted not to do this. It was great to get away from the ringing phones. The inn does have internet service and we could check in with our children via Facebook, iMessage and Skype on our iPads. This was more than sufficient as we were on a “get-away”.

When we came down to bring our things in from the car…. We could smell our delicious dinner cooking …. We were given two entrée choices, I chose the pork chops with apples and my fiancé’ chose the chicken Florentine. When we sat for dinner Ian opened and served our wine. (it is BYOB due to being a dry county) Both dishes were fabulous. Dessert was so yummy, sticky toffee English pudding. There were other guests staying the same night and we enjoyed their company as well as Ian and his family, they were in for a visit.

We did notice there were fresh baked cookies in a jar on the coffee table in the great room, along with a coffee and tea bar but we were so well-fed there was no way we would have needed a mid-night snack.

The next morning we were given two choices for breakfast times. We were also given a sweet and a savory choice for our entrée. Yvonne happily gave us a little of each, as we didn’t want to miss out on either one as they sounded fabulous. We helped ourselves to coffee and earl grey tea in the great room, we then went to the dining room. We had our choice of juice. Peach scones and a fruit plate followed. We had berry pancakes and a breakfast strata. Ian and Yvonne were so helpful with suggestions of things to do. They even had short summaries about the places and easy to follow directions printed.

When we had gone back to our room from breakfast we found that it had been cleaned, bed made and everything was spic n span. I loved that they had a pretty purple washcloth, marked for makeup removal. When I requested an “old “towel from Yvonne (as I had just colored my hair bright purple before our trip and didn’t want to ruin their beautiful very white ones) she graciously brought me one and it still looked great to me.

We set out for the day of adventure. We were so satisfied with breakfast and anticipated another amazing dinner. We didn’t need lunch or even a snack. We opted to have the romantic dinner basket. (This is an alternative to the meat and cheese platter, and was an additional charge, very much worth it.) Although that nights meal was to be “on our own” Ian and Yvonne kindly suggested we use the dining room as we wanted to enjoy the company of the other guests we had met the previous night, and Ian politely severed our meal semi family style. All of it was delicious, fresh salad, Cornish game hens, yummy veggies and chocolate cake.

We crawled into a comfortable bed with fresh clean white linens, and drifted off to a peaceful sleep.

Another delicious breakfast was prepared for us. My fiancé had a breakfast casserole while I opted for the peach bread pudding, with the same trimming, coffee, tea, juice, and fruit. Check out is by 11 am, according to their handbook, but we were never rushed or made to feel like we were on a time limit. We went up to our room gathered our things and headed down to take care of our incidentals and check out. We bought four of the inn’s mugs (they are gorgeous handmade stone ware mugs that they use at the inn, They come in such beautiful colors and have a medallion of the inn on the front) as a reminder or our trip. Yvonne kindly took a picture of us on the front porch and reluctantly we left vowing to return A.S.A.P.

We had a remarkable, wonderful, and tranquil time. We were well fed, cared for and made to feel so welcome. Thank you Ian and Yvonne for such an outstanding and relaxing get away.
We cannot wait to visit you both again soon.

Room Tip: Be aware if you need to keep in contact with the outside world, there isn't reliable cell servic...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Garden Gate Get-A-Way Bed & Breakfast
Landoll's Mohican Castle
Landoll's Mohican Castle
#1 of 1 in Loudonville

Been to White Oak Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!