“Nice hotel, not-so-nice staff”

Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cuyahoga Falls
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was visiting a family member who attends Akron University and chose to stay at this hotel. I think that the location is great; right off the highway and very close to the school. I read many positive reviews of the property prior to selecting this particular hotel and was jot entirely let down. The property itself could use some updating. The rooms are spacious, but don't have as much of a modern and clean feeling I'd expect. This was especially true for the shower - I don't care for a dirty shower curtain in my room. The biggest issue I have is with young woman who checked us in. I had booked directly through the hotel and received no warmth or explanation upon checking in. She simply handed me my keys and said, "have a good night." No explanation of where the elevators, room or any amenities were located. Very disappointing. I probably would not recommend this to others unless this was corrected.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IMissMaui211
Jeffrey L, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Miss Maui, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor of your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls. I am disappointed to read about your check-in experience as this is not how we expect our team members to receive our guests. I have spoken with my Front Office Manager in regards to the proper check-in procedure and she was equally disappointed in how our team welcomed you to our property. I have also followed up with our Executive Housekeeper in regards to our shower curtain change out procedure. MissMaui, although we cannot change your previous experience, I truly hope you offer us a future opportunity to serve and welcome you the next time your travels bring you back to the Akron/Cuyahoga Falls area.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Good, clean, and comfortable hotel. I think it was around 20 minutes from the Airport and 5-10 minutes from University of Akron. The Hotel has an amazing restaurant with decent food. Higher floors face the highway (not a nice view). The front desk staff were very nice and helpful. My only problem with the hotel was the train that kept on waking up for the first couple of days.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Harmanani, thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls recently. I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy our new restaurant and friendly staff. We are in the process of working with the federal government in regards to the trains that run behind our property as the current law in our area states that it must sound it's whistle at every road crossing. We do have a walk out jetty in which you are able to see an undisturbed view of the river rapids below our hotel and invite you to enjoy the view the next time your travels bring you to our area!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great Hotel in Akron. Staff are wonderful and the rooms are something you enjoy living in.
Very nice bar and restaurant with a great and different wine selection.Bar personnel are friendly and talkative.Yet to check out he pool and hot tub but will do on return visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

stokeswest, thank you for sharing such kind words about the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls! I am delighted that you enjoyed our staff, rooms and new restaurant and bar. I look forward to welcoming you back on you future visits and hope you are able to enjoy many of our other amenities.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had a great stay here. The hotel was full but you would have never known. The staff never missed a beat and always had a smile on their face. We ate at the Restaurant for breakfast and it was great! Wish we could have done it again. The chef serving breakfast was a riot - he was very personable. My daughter swam in the pool - awesome, room service - awesome, cleanliness - amazing. The beds and pilows are amazing and the room very comfortable and spacious. We would definitely go back if we have to.

We had one issue with a front desk gentleman - but I have no doubt this will be addressed and is a one of situation. Everyone else knocked our socks off!

Room Tip: Although the falls are beautiful to look at from your room - the train can be very loud and interrup...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Kathyn, I am thrilled to read that you and your family were able to enjoy so many of our amenities such as our breakfast, room service and pool. I am also pleased to read that our staff was able to leave such a positive impression on you. I do hope that we have a future opportunity to serve you and welcome you back as part of our family!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I ran a 5k in Stow on New Years Eve and my husband and I decided to make an evening of it and found the hotel offered a New Years Eve package. The hotel was beautiful and we had a great room. The package included the room, dancing, appetizers, a midnight toast and brunch the next morning for a really good rate. The staff was friendly. We had a really great time and look forward to doing it again next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Andrea, thank you so much for joining us to ring in the New Year! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our NYE packages and all of the festivities. We had a wonderful response to the event and hope to offer similar packages next year!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had to be in Akron for a family commitment. I found the hotel by looking at Tripadvisor and other online sources. I had never been to the area so I was relying on other views. The hotel was in good shape. The rooms were very clean, and quite large--a nice bonus. The restaurant staff was very nice and they provided a good value both for dinner and especially for breakfast. The location is very convenient, especially close to the highway. The housekeeping staff was also friendly and attentive. I have nothing bad to say, but had a couple of issues detailed below. Unfortunately, the lack of response from management is my biggest criticism.

I faced two issues while I was there and the fact that there was no resolution (nor was the staff empowered to do anything). First, I should have been afforded free wifi (already at the hotel), a room upgrade based on my status, and late check out. While I knew these things nobody ever brought them to my attention. Again, the wifi was free so not a big deal, and we had to be on our way so I wasn't able to stay late. I would have enjoyed the upgrade but since we were in the largest category I figured we were set--all I would have wanted was a bit of recognition.

The second issue was frankly the one that left a poor reflection--the hotel charges $5 for any parcels shipped or DELIVERED. I sent myself a package there, but I was not informed in advance. The policy is clearly noted at the front desk, but my package was already en route. All I could do was refuse the package. I would have been okay with the fee if the package was delivered to my room--but you had to pick up the packages at the front desk. After complaining about the fee, the front desk staff said they knew about it, were sorry about it, but had no explanation.

(Also, for the light sleepers--be aware you can here the train at night).

Seems like an unnecessary fee to me. I'd consider going back--the rooms are clean, the staff is nice, but the management seems to have a few issues they need to work on.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pasag

pasag, let me first thank you for choosing the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls on your recent trip to visit family. We sincerely value our SPG members and hope to offer a complimentary upgrade to our members whenever available. I apologize that this was not offered to you, and that you did not feel recognized or valued during your stay. It is only because of brand loyalty such as yours that we are able to continue doing what we love at the Sheraton Suites. In regards to the $5 package fee that you have mentioned, this fee was designed to help organize the large quantities of shipments that guests send for us to hold and that require extensive storage. We are always happy to make exceptions for any guest that this may not apply to. I have spoken directly with our front office team in regards to this exception as well as our continuing effort to make each and every guest feel valued. We do hope that we have a future opportunity to serve you. Upon making future reservations, I invite you to contact our Director of Guest Services, Elizabeth Straigis, or myself at (330) 929-3000 or estraigis@sheratonakron.com so we may welcome you back personally.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We travel once or twice a year from D.C. to Northern Indiana. This past October, I decided to make it a two-day, scenic trip and chose Cuyahoga Falls as a half-way point. We were traveling to Indiana for my parents' 60 wedding anniversary. It was also my husband's birthday, so I booked one of the best rooms at this hotel. A river-side suite with a balcony. The room decor was a wee bit dated, but otherwise it was very nice. It was really an apartment on two levels, with a family room and small kitchen area on the lower level. The room was not cheap, but could easily accomodate two small families or a group traveling together....

The hotel was very nice, with a restaurant and a lounge with live music. Although our room was very close to the entertainment, we could not hear it. The room was quiet and we slept like a rock. Bed was comfy, and hotel staff was friendly and responsive.

We had a late-nite dinner in the bar. Good food, although I can't recall what we ordered. Brunch was really good, probably the best I've had in years, and was reasonably priced. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Last but not least... the surrounding area was gorgeous. There is a nearby national park, which was closed because of the government shut-down, but we found another great county park with some cool hiking trails and river views.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jeffrey L, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Laura, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted to read that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities such as our bar, brunch, two-level suite and view! I do hope that on your future trips West you can visit us again and enjoy more of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park offerings! Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuyahoga Falls
Hampton Inn Stow
Hampton Inn Stow
#1 of 5 in Stow
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Akron Stow

Been to Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls? Share your experiences!