“Nice enough hotel, nice location”

Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cuyahoga Falls
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I was visiting family in NE Ohio for the holidays and thought I'd make a 'mattress run' to a Sarwood Property to pick up some points near years' end. The best deal I could find was Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls, which was pretty close. Since it's an all suite hotel I invited my sister and BIL to join me and they readily agreed.

The suite was a master BR, LR with a pullout bed, mini fridge and micro wave and one Bath. My sister and BIL used the master bedroom and I slept on the fold out couch. It's probably the first time I've ever slept on a fold out couch at a Starwood property but, actually, it was pretty comfortable. Both of the rooms had their own TV's so that worked well. My sister and BIL went 'antiqueing' (is that actually a word) while I stayed at the hotel and watched some football. It was a cold, rainy night and by the time they got back from their shopping they both hopped into the shower to warm up.

We went to dinner less than a 1/2 mile away (seperate review under restaurants on this page) and it was very good. My sister and BIL both commented that, in nice weather, it's about a 10 minute walk along the river and the falls and I can see how that would be very appealing in the summertime.

The hotel itself is nicely laid out. We were given a room with a river view that was very nice and the mini-fridge was handy for chilling a bottle of wine and storing the leftovers from dinner. Plenty of free parking which is not something you see in Southern Califrnia very often. LOL

Of course, being the 'holiday season' the hotel was very busy yet check in was quick and efficient. We had planned to have breakfast in their restaurant the next morning but the line was so long that we decided to drive 'home' and have breakfast there.

There is a nice bank of computers for guests to use if they like although I think that they also have wi-fi in their lobby.

Two complaints: some of the carpet needs to be cleaned.

Bigger complaint: took a walk on path above the river and it was littered with broken beer bottles and cigarette butts---not pretty. I blame the guests for this but still, it's up to the hotel to get this junk out of there promptly.

Would I stay there again? Yes.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear that the hotel was able to be of service to you during your family visit. I am glad that the all suite design of the hotel met your needs. While a pullout sofa bed is not quite the same as the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper experience, I agree that ours are more comfortable than most! I wish that you had been able to enjoy the restaurant at the hotel, Piatto novo, during your stay - maybe on your next visit. Thank you for pointing out the debris on the rock ledge to us. We can certainly be more diligent in picking this area up when the weather this time of the year allows. We look forward to having you return again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in January.

The rooms are great! Huge, actually. Instead of an Embassy Suites type layout, the living room and the bedroom both have a large window to the outside (instead of the living room having a window to the hotel hallway).

The suite had 2 flatscreens, queen size pull out sofa, leather club chair and ottoman, large desk and chair, wet bar with frige and micro, king bed. There are pocket/sliding doors to separate the living room from the bedroom.

The gym is great as well: LifeFitness machines (treads, elipticals, bike) and free weights.

They have a LARGE pool with lap lane markings! (not sure if its 25 yards/meters, etc), but it is WAY bigger than the standard hotel pool... also hot tub and sauna.

I didn't eat at the restaurant/bar, but both are almost cantilevered over the water falls that run along side the property. It looked great.

Staff: I had minimal interactions, but all were fine. I called down for a comforter for the pull out, and they were prompt in bringing it up.

Location: within a 5 minute walk are about 3-4 restaurants, and 3 bars. It was a little deserted (being winter and all) but felt totally safe, and was clean. We had a fantastic dinner at Samiras. Theres an outdoor amphitheater, and skating rink.

If you're looking for a hotel in the akron area, I'd highly recommend this one!

Room Tip: Rooms either face the city, or the river/train tracks. I was on the city side, and didn't hear a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NavTrav
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Dear Guest:

We are all glad to hear that you enjoyed your suite while staying in Cuyahoga Falls. Thank you for the nice review of the suites (yes, we are all suites), the fitness room and pool. We have just completed an expansion of the fitness center - adding more space and several pieces of new equipment. I happy to hear that you enjoyed it. I encourage you to try Piatto novo on your next visit to town. We like to say that it is food you will remember in a setting you will never forget! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

We hosted our company holiday party early in January and were very pleased with the hotel rooms, the meeting room and the food catered. The only drawback I can think of was that there is no way to have cable tv in the meeting rooms. We usually stay after the dinner to play games, etc and some of our guests like to watch tv instead. Otherwise, we enjoyed. The Sunday Brunch is outstanding!

Room Tip: The multi-level VIP rooms are nice, but the bedroom is up and the living room is down. Good if you b...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Suites Cuyahoga Falls. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed yuor company Holiday party at the hotel. Thank you for the nice comments about The facility and your experience at Sunday Brunch. Brunch at the Sheraton Suites has been a very long standing tradition and the area and we are happy that you enjoyed it. With regard to the television in the meeting facilities, we are able to get all channels (we use satellite) except for channels delivered to us in HD, since the equipment used to bring the signal is analog. We will be looking at changing the systems in the future. We hope to have you back again soon!

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Great get away at the Sheraton Suites in Cuyahoga Falls. The service was top notch!! The people were very helpful and pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed and bedding was wonderful!! I realized I need new bedding at home after this trip.We enjoyed the area also. We went ice skating, went to Cuyahoga Falls National Park, went to many metro parks and wineries. If you bike or run this area is for you!! The lounge at the hotel was very nice, service was excellent and the entertainment was nice also.We had a great time and will be back to explore more of area maybe make it to the Cleveland. Oh yeah, two musts! You have to eat at Luigi's. We waited outside in line for about an hour but it was worth the wait. Great pizza and the salad, hope you like cheese!! Also for lunch check out Sarah's vineyard. Wonderful!!!! Great setting and great lunch!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2011

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the Cuyahoga Falls area. It sounds like you had the opportunity to experience much of the surrounding attractions. I am happy to hear that the you had a good time in Novo lounge and wnjoyed the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and bedding! I do hope that you have an opportunity to return again soon. Some other attractions you may wish to consider are: The Pro Football Hall of Fame, Boston Mills Ski Resort, Kendall Cliffs at Appalachian Outfitters, Hale Farm and Village...I could go on and on! Thanks again!

Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed one night at the Sheraton. Upon checking into my room, I noticed that everything was extremely clean, but the window next to the bed seemed to be letting in quite a bit of chilly air, but the window appeared closed. I asked the front desk if they would check the window. Maintenace was at the room within 10 minutes and checked. The window was a bit old, and the window was not slightly off track. The service man fixed the window, and apologized profusely, explaining that they are renovating the windows, and this one hadn't been done yet. (The window was fine once he adjusted it). Everyone at the counter was very helpful and pleasant. The room was gorgeous. We had a city view, and although I heard a train once, it was not loud enough to wake me up, I only heard it after turning off the tv just before bed. If you are an extremely light sleeper, you might notice this, but I really don't see this being an issue.

Room Tip: Other people have commented that they heard train whistles. If you are a very light sleeper, just a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2011

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your nice comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept my apologies as well for the problem with the window. I am pleased that it was qucikly resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that you will return soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I live in NE OH and so I find this hotel to be a wonderful getaway spot with a beautiful and restful view. Since my last visit they have completed a park like area just past the far end of the parking lot. The front desk staff are very attentive and handled a rush efficiently and with great courtesy. The public spaces are inviting, and this hotel now has a Link, so there is public computer access, which is very welcome to those of us who don't travel with the laptops. Each room is a suite, and feels very spacious. The main room has a sofa, comfy chair with ottoman, large desk with a comfortable chair, and a small bar with a fridge (not cold enough I don't think for perishibles like dairy products) and a microwave. The dressing area has double sinks with a well-lighted mirror and separate room with tub/shower/commode. The bedroom has an additional TV, and the Sweet Sleeper bed and white linens/duvet. Very comfy, though I must remember to ask for the foam pillows next time. Rooms will either be a city view, or one of the river/falls which are lovely, but you have to be up to the window to really see them. You also get a view of the freeway traffic, and trains that go by periodically blowing their whistles, but I didn't find it hard to adjust to sleep through.
The room service menu was very adequate and reasonable compared to many other places price wise. An added perk is that this hotel has a great restaurant and there is another menu where one can order from to get food from there as well. They also have a very nice Sunday Buffet (and lunch as well I believe) which is worth getting up for, and includes a view of the falls from the dining room.
I encountered the housekeeping staff and they were extremely nice; I asked if due to the popularity of showers there were no longer plugs for the tub...the housekeepr escorted me into an empty room to show me what the plug looked like and where it would be...and when she learned mine was missing immediately made note to put in an order for one. I always wonder why attention to detail isn't maintained...on arrival I noted a light but visible carpet stain, and since I was travelling with my canine companion, and didn't want her to be accused, I did make a point of informing the front desk of the location. Later I noted what appeared to be a pasta sauce stain on the edge of the sofa cushion as well.
Speaking of lights...I was greatly disappointed in the lighting with the energy efficient bulbs...but did find they brightened up as they were on for a bit.

My only real complaint is that this remains such a nice place if only they would be more friendly to the dogs they allow to visit...for which I am very grateful. This is the only place I know of where dogs are welcome, and then not allowed to be in even the lobby area. I can understand not by the pool, or the food service areas...but to not allow them to hang out in the lobby while one checks their email etc on the Link computers...I realize not every guest is conscientious...but we are. It also struck me that I had communicated with the hotel via email prior to see if the policy had changed re dogs in the lobby area...and while I disagree with it, I would still follow the rules...so when I arrived and the front desk person seemed to be reading something on the computer screen and I inquired about that...he noted he was supposed to remind me that dogs were not allowed in the common areas...which I found a bit annoying since I had cared enough to confirm the status of that prior and didn't intend to violate the rules.

In following the rules, we used the door to the south of the main entrance...which is fine...but just because we travel with a dog doesn't mean we should have to be subjected to the cluster of smokers at the door where the ashtray is outside for them.

If they were dog friendlier we'd not hesitate to give them an excellent review. And I would go back again.

Room Tip: River views are worth the train sounds...but if you don't want to chance it, stay on the city si...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Robert_Trammell, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Dear Guest:

Thank you for being our guest, we truly appreciate your visits! Thank you for the very detail and positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to host many canine guests and are pleased to participate in the "Love that Dog" program. The program among other things provides nice dog bowls and a dog bed. Ocassionally, our pet population does exceed our supply of amenities, I am sorry that they were not available during your stay. With regard to the hotel lobby and Sheraton Link, both of these areas are rather small and as such we do not permit dogs in these areas out of deference to those who do not like or may be afraid of them. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Due to a computer problem, we were slightly delayed in our check in, which the hotel quickly responded to by comping our breakfast (a $30 value). The property and room are very beautiful and right on the banks of the Cuyahoga River. Our suite was spacious and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was delicious as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a higher end travel experience with convenient access to both the suburbs of Cleveland and the city of Akron.

Room Tip: Ask for either City View or River View, depending on your preference.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BTCompKSU

Dear Guest:

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls. Thank you for the very nice remarks and description of our hotel and services. I am sorry that the arrival process was delayed and am happy that the team made the right decision. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cuyahoga Falls
Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
#1 of 5 in Fairlawn
Staybridge Suites Akron-Stow-Cuyahoga Falls
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn

Been to Sheraton Suites Akron Cuyahoga Falls? Share your experiences!