“An exciting "Portrait" of a pivotal part of Ohio History”

Historic Roscoe Village
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Coshocton
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience life during the 1830s in this beautifully restored canal era town called Historic Roscoe Village. "Step back in time" with a living history experience complete with costumed interpreters, hands-on activities, shopping, dining, lodging and a horse-drawn canal boat ride.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We scheduled a group tour with our managers last year. The insights and dedication of the staff and volunteers is exemplary. This helps in a major way to preserve a very important piece of Ohio heritage.

1  Thank David B
in 5 reviews
"print shop"
"candy store"

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Attended the festival there. Really enjoyed the crafts and just the history of Roscoe Village. Have taken the tour prior to this visit, but would recommend this attraction.

1  Thank Southworth0312
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We took my parents on a "surprise outing" for their 44th wedding anniversary. Since they both like history, we decided to drive 2 1/2 hours from our home to Roscoe Village. We bought the main tour package, which did not include the canal boat ride but did include a pass into all the attractions on main street- the blacksmith's shop, the doctor, the school house, the weaver's house, and more. It was very enjoyable and educational for my children. The adult tickets were $9.95, which I thought was high for how much there was to see. In my mind, this was a $5.95 experience. Many of the "attractions" on main street were simply shops that anyone could go in.

The village has picnic grounds right behind the visitor's center, so we packed a picnic lunch and ate it outside. That was pleasant.

I would have given this a 4-star rating had it not been for the unprofessional nature of the ladies running the visitor's center. When we arrived, the lady behind the desk downstairs asked if we were residents of Coshocton. I said no. She replied, "Well, too bad. You would've gotten in free today if you were." That was irritating, since we were about to drop almost $50 on tickets for all of us. When we went to go upstairs to buy the tickets, she didn't want us to use the elevator to the second floor and called out, "Why don't you just use the stairs?" (My parents have some trouble walking up stairs, which is why they were headed to the elevator.) When we tried to explain that this wasn't just a laziness issue, the lady said, "Well, just start knocking real loud if it stops somewhere in the middle." Not exactly what we wanted to hear before getting on an elevator.

Upon going to the counter to purchase tickets in the upstairs portion of the center, the lady behind that desk was loudly bemoaning the fact that someone had walked off with some brochure she'd let them look at. She went on, and on, and ON about this. She was really quite rude about it, saying disparaging things about whoever the poor soul was that apparently thought she was giving them a brochure to keep (as would be normal in this situation). She was brusque with us, snapping at us when we accidentally presented an out-of-date AAA card. I quickly found the card that was current in my wallet, and she scolded me saying, "Want me to cut up the other one? I have scissors right here." The tone was quite condescending. I said no.

So, all in all, we had a memorable and nice day. I don't think I'd go back again, but I'm not sorry we went.

3  Thank 1Annabelle1
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Finally ... The Roscoe Warehouse has mad improvements in food and service to ensure a great dining experience. I have recently visited with my young daughter during a break in a busy day of running around Coshocton. The steak was cooked properly, and on the childrens end of the menu the mac'n'cheese was evidentally delicious as it did a quick dissapearing act. We found the service to be attentive and attention to detail was on point. I highly suggest stopping in at The Roscoe Warehouse anytime you find yourself near. They have a great variety of both familiar and unique to Roscoe titled selections. Thank You Staff of The Roscoe Warehouse for an enjoyable experience in such a unique hometown area.

1  Thank Showtime74
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My girlfriend and i went to a favorite restaurant of mine and found things a little different than i remembered earlier this year. The Roscoe Warehouse (Steak and Stein) has always had great food and good service but we found our most recent experience very familiar to another review found here. Unfortunately our food was ,so-so, and i found that there were a few easily distracted servers who i photographed smoking on duty talking to customers on the patio. I asked our server if it was policy to sanitize before returning to work from a smoke break and she said of corse, i then mentioned that a server named Lxxe had been sitting down smoking and then without any thought grabbed a tray and retrieved food from the bar area, Now im not one of those tree hugging, politically correct types, but i do appreciate service that takes care in the food service they offer. If our oreder wouldn't have been intermitent and incomplete i probably wouldn't have even started being aware of just how shoddy the service was around me at the time. I asked if the manager was available and was told she was. However the server came back saying that she didn't have time to greet us because she needed to go to the bank and make a daily deposit. I was told she would be back in 30 minutes or less....we stayed another hour enjoying the patio and of course the management was to busy at our time of leaving to be disturbed by customers. The server told me she was sorry for the things i had pointed out and my growing dissapointment from management down to other servers blatet diregard for work ethics etc. hey had a servers meeting coming up and i showed her another TripAdvisor review pulled up on my phone showing marked coincidence of previous experience. I let her know that she should be bringing these reviews to her coworkers attention at the meeting and also to management. I want to see my hometown establishments uphold the reputations they once had. Iam a former Chef in Roscoe village during a time that a Master Chef was employed there and apprenticed me. (10-15 years ago) Just seems that the current dining establishments have been riding on the reputive coat tails since then and aren't insuring they do the things now that keep a great place 'great'

Food Average to good. Service Unpredictable.

STAFF OF ROSCOE WAREHOUSE STEAK N STEIN!!!
We will be in your area again very soon, please get it together so i can give a review listing Improvement!

8  Thank Showtime74