“Bittersweet” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Copley
Akron, Ohio
“Bittersweet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at this establishment two days ago. I had my disabled mom with me and cousin for a Thanksgiving get away from the house and stress weekend. Upon checkin, the front desk staff person was very nice, kind and helpful. I requested late checkout at 1pm when I checked in. Once in the room which was a Penthouse Suite w/loft and Murphy Bed all was well until bed time. There was no bedding for the downstairs beds (murphy and sofa). I called front desk and a different lady was on duty. She kindly apologized and asked me to come get bedding in the cold, snow and dark. I asked if someone could bring bedding to my room, she stated she was the only staff person to tend a huge number of customers and housekeeping was gone and she couldn't leave her post but the maintenance man was still there but off the clock and technically didn't have to bring it up but she would ask. She called back to the room and stated he agreed to bring bedding. I was happy. Then I discovered a roach or some sort of insect up on the high side wall. Yuk. The next morning we went to get breakfast and needed a plastic bag to cover our plates so we could take food to room especially because of parents disability. We were asked why we needed bags and was told this is not carryout and we needed to eat in the dining area. Not gonna happen is what she heard. So we were given bags under protest. Then my phone rang at `12:15pm stating "uh check out is at 12 noon". I said we have late checkout did you check my account? She stated oh here it is sorry. I normally don't have a problem at this hotel because of the location, spacious rooms, good breakfast and good price if you book it early enough. Not sure what happened but the same staff person was not nice at all. I intend to call the manager and voice everything I've written here in case they miss it. Maybe I will return after new management takes over in some weeks to come.

Room Tip: Penthouse Suites are very nice. They look like regular suites except for the loft but are very, very...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Arabic first
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I found this place on LivingSocial and I purchased two nightsof the two bedroom penthouse for up to six people because there were six of us staying. I didn't know what to expect of this place so I did so internet research. I read all the comments from other travelers looked at as many pictures in an attempt to see what to expect. When I saw the pictures of the free breakfast buffet, I thought "wow this looks great; must be a great place." It turned out to be a great place but I was not pleased at all with the breakfast buffet. There really was no buffet. There was one warming dish with eggs and potatoes and a crock pot with sausage gravy. There was a few breads, a couple of pieces of fruit, a waffle iron and some juice There was no meat at all. I was really disappointed with the breakfast.

The room was nice and equipped with what is on their web page. There were not enough towels so I went to the desk and requested additional bath towels, wash cloths and hand towels. I got the bath towels, no wash cloths and the had towels they gave me were dish towels. Go figure! The staff checking us in was very pleasant and had our paperwork ready when we got there. We knew the room would require some wiping down before we settled in, but we came equipped with cleaning products just as we do wherever we stay.

Overall our stay was nice. The only bad thing was the traffic. Medina Road is the busiest street I have ever been on and Akron drivers are the worst.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The penthouses are very roomy and not expensive.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Copley, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

They charge people extra money because they don't know how to clean up a room. After I stayed there and accidentally spilled glitter, they charged me $200 because they said they had to call in a special company?!?!?! BS!!! I wouldn't stay here...period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay away!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

My stay in this hotel has been a terrible if not horrible experience. Never in my life I came across staff and house-keeping ppl so rude and got on my nerves. Not only they charged my credit card with duplicate transactions but also behaved so offensive and discourterous. Moreover, housekeeping service is such a nightmare. They make you feel that we are beggars and getting free shelter in their hotel....

Room Tip: I wish I could give a negative rating for this hotel and staff but unfortunately don't have that...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank1Dux
OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

While parts of the outside of buildings look like they need some TLC, the inside of our unit was updated, very clean and quite large. Check in was a breeze and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, ie: giving directions to metro parks. Breakfast was plentiful with great coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed in the penthouse suite during the Akron Marathon weekend. Check in was quick and easy. The room itself was clean. Every person that we encountered at the front desk was friendly. Also, for the marathon weekend we were given a late checkout for no additional charge which was much appreciated. Upon arriving home, I realized that I left my GPS running watch in the room! I called the hotel and they were prompt in calling me back to tell me they had found it and would mail it back to me. I have since received the watch in the mail, and couldn't be happier with their customer service. We will definitely stay here again next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Courteous staff, lot of improvements over last few months, New staff really made the difference.
Have lived here earlier, it is getting better over time, Can not find penthouse at this low price. Breakfast and Hospitality services was really good.

Room Tip: Penthouse available at a very reasonable price
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copley
Baymont Inn & Suites Copley Akron
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 11 in Copley
Radisson Hotel Akron/Fairlawn

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn? Share your experiences!