“Hands-On, Fun-Filled Science”

Akron Fossils & Science Center
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Copley
Reviewed June 1, 2013

If you have school-aged children, they are sure to enjoy this modestly priced ($5/person), very unusual science center. Starting with a "hands-on" fossils teaching/Q&A session led by a "tour guide" the kids are sure to enjoy this brief but illuminating exhibit. Don't let the modest exterior of the center's facility fool you, the staff and exhibits inside will exceed your expectations. Besides, there is then an outdoor playground with some customary and not so customary stuff (including a 200' Zip-Line ride, included in admission price) that kids of all ages will enjoy. Younger kids will also find the 'indoor playground' with an artificial archeological dig (sandbox) and craft-table to be fun. Although this non-profit organization clearly sponsors a creation-science viewpoint (versus strict Darwinian evolutionary theory), they are not heavy-handed in their delivery of that message, explicitly inviting anyone uninterested in that portion of the guided tour to leave before the final 5 minutes spent thereon. Prior to that, they stick with just science, albeit emphasizing scientific facts/theory that tend to support the creationist view.

2  Thank GREG M

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My daughters loved holding some fossils during the group presentation. We learned more about dinosaurs. I appreciate the scientific information presented. The outside fenced play area is a great place for kids to explore. We love the giant slide and the merry-go-round. Little ones love the kids-size seated "zip line", and I enjoyed the adult zip line. I love the volunteer Cindy Julius - she is so good with kids and adults. Water bottles and drinks for sale. We definitely will be back.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I took my 2 daughters there because we had a coupon. I am Christian, but the beliefs of this place are extreme!!!! I wanted to plug my children's ears when they told my girls that dinosaurs were on Noah's ark!!! What!!??! The play area outside was ok.

7  Thank CFmama
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I went a while ago, and haven't had the time to write a review. This is an amazing museum! I loved the bible area. Most museums never focus on the biblical history. The outside area was amazing as well! The zip line was by far the best part of the outside area. All in all, I would definitely go here again!

1  Thank NaturegirlOH
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The words 'fossil' and 'science' do not belong in the center's title as there are very little fossils and absolutely NO science. If you believe the earth is 6,000 yrs old (num obtained by adding up the ages of all people in the bible, lol) and humans walked along side dinosaurs than this is your place. Also, the facility itself is the size of the ave home with maybe 5 fossils and the 1 acre of grounds is poorly maintained, for example; there is a sliding board approximately 20 ft high that looks to be built by a child, extremely unsafe and in poor condition. Do not waste $3 and valuable time!

8  Thank NichSteno

Been to Akron Fossils & Science Center? Share your experiences!