“Not terrible”

Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Copley
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Not terrible”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Okay, so the hotel is not absolutely terrible. They got my reservation slightly wrong. The facilities were okay. This is one of those "you get what you pay for" places -- I didn't notice any bugs or anything bad like that. Difficult to find at night.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 2, 2008

This is certainly a Discount Hotel! The hallways were dimly lit with flickering lights. Hallways had no carpet, exposed tacks on sides of floor. Room smelled. Bed was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Smelly, horrible bed
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
allstarman
Reviewed November 14, 2007

I stayed here for several weeks while I was working in Akron because my company offers an arrangement where I can split the difference in price (savings) between the average area hotel and a less expensive one such as a super 8.

I did not have high expectations as far as customer service, cleanliness, and guests, so I was not disappointed. There are two other budget hotels right next to here, but because of its favorable rewards program, I stayed at the super 8.

First off, the Fairlawn area is very safe, so you do not have to deal with the usual clientele that you would encounter at a budget hotel. Most of the guests I observed were construction workers, travelers, or business men/women. People were quiet during the evening, and I heard no noise through the walls although I could hear the person above me walking. I have heard this at other more expensive hotels like Fairfield.

However, unlike more expensive hotels, these rooms at this super 8 were not spotless. Generally there were some areas of my floor that appeared to not be swept. The hallways and stairs appeared to have mud, probably left by construction workers, on them. Also the cleaning crew was inconsistent as to their procedures. Sometimes I would receive a clean plastic liner for the ice bucket; other times I would not. For the first few days, I would only have one trash can; then they gave me another one. My bathroom, though, was always very clean.

The service overall was pretty good. The staff was friendly and would greet me, and they would address any concern I had. Another positive thing about the hotel is the micro-fridges. Each room has them, and at each of the rooms I stayed in they were surprisingly clean. Another nice feature is that each room has its own wireless router, so you have a fairly fast wireless connection and a good signal. I have stayed in much more expensive hotels that have inconsistent wireless service and poor wireless reception in some rooms. The continental breakfast consisted of juice, coffee, bagels, muffins, and cereal--about what is to be expected from a super 8.

All in all the hotel is decent, but I must confess I have a high tolerance for some of the negatives I have mentioned. Some people might consider a room that is not as clean as it could be a deal breaker. If you are trying to save some money or on a budget, I would definitely recommend this hotel. Having said that, if you or your employer can afford one of the better hotels in the area, I would suggest staying in one of them. I wanted this review to be realistic and I have applied two star standards to this hotel, as I have grown tiered of reading reviews here were people stay in a budget hotel and expect the amenities, service, and upkeep to be at the level of the Ritz Carlton.

• Liked — Wireless Internet Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank allstarman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Copley
Baymont Inn & Suites Copley Akron
#5 of 11 in Copley
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Akron/ Fairlawn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Akron Fairlawn
BEST WESTERN PLUS West Akron Inn & Suites

Been to Econo Lodge - Akron? Share your experiences!