“Not a good value”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Conneaut
St. Catharines, Canada
“Not a good value”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights over the D-Day Ohio weekend. I knew I was paying a premium because of the event but thought - its a Days Inn, they have standards it should be fine. To be honest even if I was paying less I still would have been disappointed. We arrived late, about 11pm, and there were two staff at the front desk watching a movie, only one of them stood up to greet us. We were then told that we were to pay for our whole 2 nights up front. This I have never encountered at a hotel before and so I asked why we had to pay up front and not at check out like most hotels and the answer I got by the lady who hadn't even stood up to greet us was "you pay at check-in". Anyways, we were tired and ready for bed and not feeling like a fight so we gave our payment. The room left something to be desired - the window was open when we went in which I believe was to air the place out. The TV was an old tube tv - haven't seen one of those in a hotel in ages. The comforters were old looking with floral pattern that matched the drapes. Again, I wasn't expecting a lot so it wasn't a big deal. We saw the pool outside our room so we decided to go out there the next day and wow... they need to fix that pool up in a major way. There aren't any paving stones, just pea gravel all around the pool so when you walk from the lounger to the pool they get all stuck to your feet so you have to brush your feet off before getting in - we didnt get in because the water was freezing and the pool left something to be desired, it looked like it had tiles once that had all been taken off so the sides were off colour. Needless to say we were the only ones out there. I also found there was quite a bit of noise that comes from the hallways - the doors don't keep much sound out unfortunately. We were glad we were in the end of the hotel away from the restauarant since they turn it into a club at night time and there is loud music. Upon check out I asked why it was we paid at check in and I was told that "most hotels are going paperless now"... not sure what that had to do with it. I think it is so that you don't run away the second night. In hindsight I would have stayed in Erie and driven to the D-Day event, much more hotel options there.

Room Tip: If you must stay here ask for a room away from the lobby - less noise from the restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank rebeccacherie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The weekend of August 10-12th friends of ours were camping at a local campground and so we decided to visit them for the weekend but we stayed at this Days Inn hotel. The room was $98 a night. The hotel appeared like an average Days Inn from the outside and in the lobby but once inside of the room we noticed a very strong musty odor. It was horrible. The room also did not appear to be very clean. I found a couple hairs on the sheets when I took the top cover off. The bathroom didn't have enough towels and they were very dingy looking. The tissue box was empty and remained empty for our entire stay even though the cleaning crew was in our room. The one good thing was the breakfast that they offer. They offer eggs, sausage and several other foods that most hotels do not include in their continental breakfast. Also the staff that I interacted with was nice. We only used our hotel room to sleep in and that was it. I would not recommend this hotel for a long stay but if you’re looking for somewhere just to sleep for a night then this place would be ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank QueenB64
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I made a reservation in May for a room here on July 21st, 2012. I received a good rate of $75 plus taxes. I was visiting family in Conneaut for the week and stayed in Erie, PA for all but one night. I had heard bad things about this hotel but decided to stay one night at this hotel for convenience on our final day in Conneaut.
On the day of our stay I received a phone call at 11:45am from the Days Inn Conneaut owner, Navin Bhandari. He told me that he was sold out on king rooms and we would have to take a double bed room. He then said that he would be happy to cancel my reservation. At the time of the call I was driving so I told him I would talk to him when I arrived at the hotel.
I thought it was a little odd that a hotel in middle of nowhere would be all sold out of king rooms at 11:45am. So I called my brother and had him call the hotel to see if they had any king rooms available. He called and was told "yes, we have king rooms available for $250.00 tonight" At that point I think I understood the deal...the hotel was getting full and the owner would rather rent a room for $250 than the $75 we reserved two months in advance.
Upon arrival to the hotel I spoke to the owner, Navin Bhandari, he advised me that there were no king rooms available and we would have to take the double room and again said he would cancel the reservation for us. I asked again if there were any king rooms available and he said no. I then told him that I had my brother call earlier after he had called me and he was told they had king rooms available. He then said "well ummm, those are king deluxe rooms". I said ok, not sure what the difference is at a Days Inn but we reserved a king room so give us the king deluxe room. He then said I would have to pay more for the king deluxe room. I told him at that time I thought he was doing a "bait and switch" tactic and he became upset and said he would not rent the room to me and canceled my reservation. I told him that is what he wanted so he could rent that room for $250.00...he just smiled. I left and will not be back.
I did make a complaint with Days Inn Corporate headquarters, I also made a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General since I believe this owner is conducting fraudulent activity.
So be warned do not reserve a room here.

Room Tip: Drive to Erie, PA...another 25 minutes East and get a room there. There are a ton of good hotels th...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank John J
Souteast Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I traveled for a few days before the 4th in the Erie/Conneaut area, and winged it without making a reservation. We ended up here, which at first we thought was great because it was so close to everything. We decided to splurge on the room with the king bed and the jacuzzi. The manager even showed us first, which upon first glance was fine. The room rate was $170.00...which I knew was high, but since it was close to a holiday weekend, I let it go.

Upon further inspection, the jacuzzi didn't properly work, the room was not properly stocked, the few towels were rags, the bathroom flooring and walls were falling apart, and quite frankly it just was a run down hotel. I was willing to accept all this, until being woken at 2am with loud thumping music and yelling outside. When I went to the lobby to inspect what was going on, I found out that there was a "club" being run out of the food area. I was very cranky with the clerk at the front desk when I confronted him about what was going on. He said that "I shouldn't be able to hear that in my room." Yes, that was his response. Not, oh, I am so sorry, or let me find a way to accommodate you. I told him we would be checking out in the morning instead of staying the second night we had originally set up, and he could have cared less.

I feel like I was totally ripped off by this hotel.
You make your own conclusions from this.

Room Tip: choose a room at a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

3 Thank Lola1101
Brenham, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Have stayed several times at this hotel through out the years. Must say my recent stay I was very impressed. They have upgraded some rooms and replaced carpet in hallway. Staff is always friendly. Easy access off of interstate 90.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Very good place to stay. Very clean and large rooms.

Bombay Restaurant was excellent food. Not very busy but food was fresh , We where 3 couples and all got something different and were all pleased. Billy the chef came out and talk to us upon our request and was very nice

I would highly recommend staying here and eating in hotel restaurant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The floor still had debris from a previous occupant, and the room had an overwhelming musty/stale odor. The lightswitch in the bathroom was so disgusting, we used a washcloth to prevent physically touching it. The sink was rusted out, and painted over (strange and scary, that), and the toilet ran all night. Simple, proper cleaning would have changed my impression of this hotel quite a bit...but the sink just needs to be replaced.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank BeagleBrain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conneaut
Ramada Austinburg/Ashtabula
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 2 in Edinboro
Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg

Been to Days Inn Conneaut? Share your experiences!