“Gracious”

Ranked #61 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
columbus, oh
“Gracious”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Westin on High Street better known for many decades as the Great Southern Hotel. The place is totally gracious. Meticulously clean, charming staff, and in an area that is easily accessibly to several very good local restaurants and pubs. My wife and I really enjoy the gracious old style hotels and always seek them out when we travel and the Great Southern did not disappoint. The in-room heater/AC was a bit nosy but we have experienced much worse, and it wasn't a problem. Tip: you can park across the street at large municipal garage or go to the next street over from High Street (3rd street} and you can park at a meter for free from 6:00 PM to 8:00 AM , after 8:00 you need to feed the meter.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor....the elevators default there so there is always one waiting.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Ohlac,
Thank you for your taking the time to share your comments! We are delighted to receive such a generous review. I hope that you will continue to choose the Westin Columbus and will return many times in the future.
MReddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Indiana
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Location: Not bad. There were restaurants and pubs nearby (walking distance)

Hotel: The lobby was gorgeous but that's where it ended. We were on the third floor and got an interior room with a view of a wall. That's Ok. It's an old hotel and we were expecting some unique layouts when it came to the room. Everything was fine until we pulled down the comforter to find bloody sheets. Seriously? This was the most disgusting thing I've ever encountered in a hotel. We called down to the front desk and they said they would change our room. Ok. We went down to the lobby to get the new key and was asked what they could do for us. In my opinion, they shouldn't have had to ask. They should have offered upgraded room or free breakfast or free valet. Offer, don't ask. I'm in a hotel and expect to be taken care of. We asked for free valet and the desk clerk said he would have to get manager approval and would call us later to let us know. He did call a little later and said he'd gotten the approval for us to receive free valet for our inconvenience. We were moved across the hall and 2 doors down. The room looked out on the lawn of the county courthouse but we realized the drawback of this room as soon as it got dark. The spotlight for the front of the hotel was pointed into our room (see pics).

The next morning we were going to check out via the TV options but saw that we had charges for valet parking. After going to the front desk and explaining again why we changed rooms, we got the charges removed but someone had to check again.

Hotel breakfast: decent. There were eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, waffles, fruit. The regular fare. Nothing exceptional. We wandered in. Was not acknowledged. Got food (no drinks though). Was still not noticed despite staff walking around. Actually pondered if we would get drinks before we were done eating. Finally got noticed and drinks. The server was great from that point on but, sheesh.

We will not go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Shantikay,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is important for us to know when we have failed to meet the expectations of our guests and we take your feedback very seriously. Please accept my sincere apology for presenting a less than perfect guestroom to you. This is totally unacceptable and I can certainly understand how disturbing it must have been. I also apologize for the poor response of our Guest Services team. Please be assured that we will use your comments to spur ourselves to improve in all areas.
I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future. I would appreciate the opportunity to demonstrate our true commitment to your complete satisfaction.
MReddy, General Mananger
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a hotel in the grand old fashion. I am so glad that Westin took over this historic place and maintained its lovely old features while making it a comfortable place to stay with modern amenities.

Dear SheilaC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. The staff and I join you in our enjoyment of this beautiful historic hotel. We are commited to ensuring that we not just maintain the hotel, but improve and refresh it so that it continues to be a one-of-a-kind experience in Columbus.
Please come back again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Westin is my favorite hotel in Columbus. The staff is amazingly friendly, and having stayed there for 6 consecutive months, they really made an effort to get to know me and make the hotel feel like home. It's a great business hotel because there are lots of nice restaurants nearby, you can grab breakfast to go in the morning if needed, and there are lots of work spaces and a very nice/large gym. Every Tuesday they have a manager reception with wine and appetizers. You can also work and eat in their restaurant which has great food and a nightly special. Really, I can't recommend it enough! If I had one criticism, the hotel is a little older so the rooms aren't sleek and modern but they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear eesauter,
Thank you for taking the time to share such a nice review! We are always delighted to see you return and hope that we may continue to welcome you in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I travel every week for work and have stayed in more hotels in different cities than I can count. The Westin Columbus completely exceeded my expectations and is the best hotel I have ever stayed at...the staff, the service, the rooms, the amenities...honestly, I was very impressed with everything. The Westin staff go out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable. Carla Farmer and Phil DeMiller in Sales are some of the nicest and most professional people you will ever meet. They have treated us like we were their own since day 1 and are true assets to the Westin. Whether its leaving little gifts in your room, picking up a gift card for you, or helping you with a last minute reservation - the staff bends over backward to meet your every need. George and Rashida at the front desk are true gems and I will miss seeing their smiling faces everyday. I have been spoiled by staying at this property and am sad to move onto a different project in a different city. I do hope I will get to stay here again in the near future though! This hotel is my favorite hands down!

Dear Jenn12345_13,
Please let me join with the entire staff to say that we have enjoyed being your host hotel and hope sincerely that we may welcome you back in the future! I also want to thank you for your generous words of praise, it was very thoughtful of you to take the time to share such a warm review.
Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed at the Westin Columbus a couple of times. It's always been a pretty good experience. This building is a bit older than most Westin buildings and the rooms are a bit older, but it has a nice classic vibe as well. On one occasion, my room wasn't ready when I arrived at 11pm at night, but they gave me a suite in about a half hour. The location is great, right in downtown Columbus,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I took advantage of their weekend special and stayed for two nights

The room had a nice sized bathroom, well sized desk for doing work, flat screen TV with about 50 channels and a safe. I am a very light sleeper but I slept great both nights. The bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the fact that they had two different kinds of Starbucks coffee for the coffe maker in the rooms. The hotel brought a little welcome package of bowl of mixed nuts and some bottles of water which was nice.
I was a little worried about the valet because I have had bad experiences with valet service in the past but the guys at the Westin were very quick 4 of the 5 times I needed my car (the 5th time wasn't that bad)
The inside of the hotel was nice looking. I saw their banquet room on the 2nd floor which was impressive. I didn't try the restaurant during my stay and the bar looked nice but hardly anyone was in there so I didn't drink there (nice if you wanted to drink alone or want quiet). Also, check-in and check-out were very quick and simple.

I definitely would stay at the Westin if in Columbus again and will keep an eye out for Westin hotels in my future trips.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo