“Bad Experience”

Ranked #63 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Westchester, NY
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I hate to bash a hotel, but had several complaints.

First there were numerous things wrong with my room. The hook on the bathroom door to hand towels was almost totally unscrewed when I checked in, and looked like it would fall out. I unscrewed it and put it on the sink, and there it sat for two days. Also the built in surge protector outlet on the desk was burnt out and inoperable. It's an older property and looks like it could use some updating.

Second I ate at the breakfast dining room twice - the first day ordered a corn beef hash which was totally unlike any corn beef hash I've ever gotten, more fried cold cuts on top of big chunks of potato. Second day, I went early to get some breakfast buffet so that I could do some work. It was scheduled to open at 6am, but it took until 620 before everything was totally out.

Third location was a bit off the beaten track - a few long blocks from downtown on one side and German Brewery district on the other. Across from the court complex. Not too much going on around there.

Next time will book closer to the capital building.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kiki1980
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Kiki1980,
You are a valued guest and I deeply regret that your stay was marred by the issues you described. I have forwarded your remarks to our managers so that we can all strive to improve in the future. Ours is not just an older property, we are a 117 years old! We must always be on our toes to ensure that our guestrooms are in perfect condition. Please come back again.
Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Korean first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while traveling for business. The Westin brand has the Heavenly Bed, it was heavenly! Best hotel bed I've tried! And the shower - 2 shower heads!! Awesome!

I was also impressed by the option to have New Balance shoes & clothes delivered to the room for only $5 to use to work out (unfortunately, I did not have time to take advantage of that option).

The size of the rooms reminded me of downtown Manhattan high rise rooms (smaller, but efficient use of space).

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank lkabernathy
Dear lkabernathy,
Thank you for your kind words! I hope that you will return again in the future!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stopped here for a night on a road trip south with our dog. The staff was welcoming of us all and we spent a very comfortable night here. Within walkin distance of the German Village neighborhood and riverside parks, and only a short drive to downtown, we were able to explore more of Columbus than we expected in 24 hours. This a great place to tuck away and still experience the city and the staff is very friendly to humans and animals. Our room was quiet and peaceful, soothingly decorated with neutral colors and simple elegant furniture. The bed is firm and wide and the shower was hot and strong. We didn't have to worry about anything. We'll definitely come back the next time around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jtc8z
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear jtc8z,
Thank you for taking the time to share your generous feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will return again in the future. We have even more to offer when the weather warms!
Chicago
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The physical property is above average, though not gorgeous. The lobby is nice, the bar is depressing. The room was decent, bed comfortable, bathroom a bit cramped. The price was great though, and I didn't mind the 3-4 block walk to the main intersection at Front and Broad where I had business. At night, the area was a little desolate, but evidently safe. Nothing to really walk across the street to, in terms of food or drink. If you're heading to a Blue Jacket game, you'll need a cab.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CGOTRVLR
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear CGOTVLR,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I hope that you will return when the weather warms and experience more of the downtown Columbus attractions. The city is really striving to make the downtown area a true destination.
Circleville, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We look forward to an annual getaway at this hotel, just for fun. We love the boutique, unique feel of this historic hotel. The staff are friendly and professional. The Thurber Bar is comfortable and classy. The size of the room never concerns us. The beds are comfy and the shower great. We enjoyed the jazz concert in the Southern Theater attached to the hotel, and we love that we can walk the distance to German Village and the Brewery Distrist as well as great restaurants within a block or two..

1 Thank Andy S
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Andy S,
We are delighted that you choose the Westin Columbus for a get-away! Please don't forget to check for special promotions on our website, or let my assistant know that you are returning and she will be happy to make your reservation personally!
NH
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was a nice stay. The hotel is a restored historic building.. The lobby is very nice and grand. It has a lounge and a small restaurant. We only had breakfast there. It was a nice buffet although you could order from the menu also. There is a fairly large workout room. The staff were all very nice and polite. The room was a good size and clean. The king bed was very comfortable. The hotel is located across the street from the courthouse and businesses so at night the streets are closed up. My husband and I were uncomfortable walking around at night. We valet parked so we used the car for everything. Also, while we were there on Sat night there was a wedding and a law school "prom" if you will. The building was packed and VERY noisy. The law school party was on the balconies over the lobby and you could hardly hear yourself think. You may want to ask what's booked for events before booking a room. Overall, this is a good hotel.

1 Thank Teacheragain
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Teacheragain,
Thank you for staying at the Westin Columbus. I appreciate the time you took to give an evaluation, and thank you for the generous words. Please accept my sincere apology for the disturbances that you experienced. I cannot change the past, or erase a poor first impression, but I hope that you will return in the future and permit us to demonstrate our true commitment to YOUR comfort and satisfaction! Please let me know if you are thinking of returning and I will be delighted to personally supervise your reservation!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Westin Columbus, after getting an excellent rate directly from the Westin (Starwood) online booking. (Hint: Find your property, then click on 'Offers' in the banner menu.) The deal was a great rate on a room (equal to the apparent Hotwire price for the same hotel), plus either free parking or breakfast for 2 for each night of the stay.

Overall, we had a good stay, and everything was pretty much as promised (we got the free breakfast, the hotel amenities were exactly as described, the room -- we booked a 2-room suite -- was exactly as described, etc.), and we got a great rate relative to the rack rates for this hotel. However, given that the Westin is only one of a handful of 4-star hotels in Columbus, I feel it's worth pointing out that in some ways this hotel falls short:

- There is no pool or spa (note that this is "accurate" in the amenities, as there is no pool listed, but it seems odd that a 4-star hotel wouldn't have a pool)
- The food in the restaurant seemed equivalent to most average hotel restaurants (we only dined for breakfast, and it was a typical buffet with limited menu)
- There are a few "perks" such as being able to rent fitness gear for $5, the "heavenly" dual shower head, etc., but these still don't add quite up to 4 stars.
- The room sizes seem to be equivalent to 3.5-star hotels I have stayed in the same area. (We booked a suite, which had a separate "living room" from the bedroom, but the bedroom alone would have been just a queen-sized room.)

There are a few ways this Westin does rise a bit above -- all the staff were very friendly, expedient, and helpful. Also, the building itself is a wonderful restoration of a historic building, and the room appointments are a notch higher than a 3-star hotel, and there is a fairly large workout room -- better than most hotels.

Overall, this is a good hotel, but be advised you should weigh your choice between the actual rate you pay and the amenities you get.

1 Thank dferencz
Dear dferencz,
I want to thank you for staying at the Westin Columbus. I appreciate the time that you took to evaluate the hotel, and I want to also thank you for recognizing the excellent service that our associates provide to our guests. We are proud to share our unique hotel, a historic property, and a winner of the AAA 4 Diamond Award each year for the last decade and more. I hope that you will return again in the future!