“Very clean, accommodating historic hotel with some pleasant surprises” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Columbus

The Westin Columbus
Ranked #56 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Lorain, Ohio
“Very clean, accommodating historic hotel with some pleasant surprises”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I booked this hotel stay for only one night in late November 2012 as I had an early morning, all-day meeting nearby and didn't want to have to wake up at 6am to travel 2 1/2 miles to Columbus from NE Ohio. I was able to use my hotels.com Welcome Rewards free nights stay for this reservation, and my total bill came to a little more than $20. I planned on checking in and then parking my car at the nearby State House for CHEAP parking, but this plan didn't work out, as I arrived after sunset (blame it on a traffic jam on I-71). I declined the valet parking and decided to park myself. In the future, if I ever stay in this hotel in the evening, I will bite the bullet and just valet park. I recommend any woman traveling to this hotel, alone, at night, to valet park. The neighborhood, which is usually busy in the daytime hours changes a bit in the evening; downtown Columbus seems to "close up" in the evening (unlike larger cities) and if you are a woman, traveling alone, you might not feel entirely comfortable walking around solo. The only reason why I stress this point is the self-parking lot is located in a side lot and while I was never bothered by anyone,and there is always an attendant on duty, I didn't always feel comfortable transporting my luggage to the hotel. The hotel itself is spectacular. This is a historic hotel that has been lovingly restored,and it shows. The front desk was very polite and courteous. I was very surprised by the fact that as a very infrequent Starwood preferred guest, she "upgraded" my room and gave me a drink voucher. My room, while a bit cramped, was extremely clean. The bathroom was very clean as well, but also small. There is an area, below the sink, one can place items, but it is suited for larger items, like towels, not toiletries. What is even more frustrating is one cannot place "taller" items on the night stands because of the way the lamp is positioned on the wall. Consequently, I had to dump my cosmetics on the floor, right outside the bathroom. Yeah, I'm a woman and I have a lot of stuff, but perhaps some type of board could be inserted on the bottom shelf of the sink area to provide more storage area. The bed, while generally comfortable, needs to be flipped. I felt like I was sleeping on the side of a hill.
All in all, this was a very pleasant stay, but I am not sure if I would stay here again, especially if I had to stay for more than one night, due to the cramped conditions.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, these rooms appear larger, especially if you are staying for more than one ni...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank purpleknif67
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear purpleknif67,

Thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your recent stay at our hotel. It is important for us to know when we have failed to meet the expectations of our guests and we take your feedback very seriously.

I agree with you that the Valet service, with unlimited in and out and front door convenience is the option that we prefer for our guests safety. That would be the same for any downtown hotel, and I regret that you were made to feel at all discomforted while visiting Columbus.

I appreciate your comments about the guest room sink space, and we will look into your suggestion.

Additionally, we have nineteen different room configurations - ranging from small, budget-driven "cozy" rooms suitable for one traveler, to several larger more luxurious guestrooms, including our one and two room suites. I hope that you will give us a second opportunity to welcome you in the future, and if you will contact my assistant Carol, she will be delighted to personally handle your reservation, pre-blocking the room that will best suit your needs.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

So hotel is very well maintained as far as maintenance, and structure. Especially for an older building. However; the beds are not good at all.

First night the bed had a dip in the middle that caused me to roll into the middle, and was very uncomfortable When calling to the desk they claimed they had no other rooms available for the night.

The following night I had a new room, and bed was much better, but still not the typical Westin Bed. It was too soft...as though it was real old.

Internet was terrible.

Food was incredible, and everyone I interacted with was very friendly.

Not sure if I will stay here again. Probably not, just because of the beds.

Also, the rooms are very small, I had a 2 room suite, and still very small. Doors small, etc.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear ClicktheGeek,
Please accept my sincere apology for a less than perfect experience! Our beds should all offer the Heavenly Bed complete comfort, and if one becomes damaged we are quick to replace it. No bed should have a "dip" and I appreciate that you let us know. You are a valued guest and I hope that you will give us a second chance to demonstrate our true commitment to your complete satisfaction! Please come back again.
Lansdowne, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before. I recently stayed a second time, and while some things improved, some did not. This hotel is not convenient if you plan to walk to the Arena District and Convention Center area, especially in middle of winter. Parking was $20 and you must valet, they don't give you a choice anymore, so add however much more to that for a tip. Internet costs money, like most big hotel chains. The rooms were small, but nice. My biggest issues with this hotel is the location, and the extra cost of things. I paid $10 less in parking at a nicer hotel down the street (because they have attached garages you can park yourself). The service was a little better in hotel this stay than last.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear LBean26,
Thank you for taking the time to give our hotel a second evaluation. It is important for us to know how the changes we are making affect our guests. I hope our commitment to providing our guests with excellent, personal service will continue to bring you back.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We checked in on a Saturday after making our reservations online. We received prompt friendly service at the front desk and were provided a king room on the second level. The other reviewers have already summarized the historic beauty of this location, so all that I will add is that our second floor room had extremely high ceilings, giving it historic charm and making it seem extravagant.

We reserved as part of a package, getting excellent value for the room plus free valet parking, a savings of $20! As we had never been to Columbus, we spent the day enjoying many area activities and dining. Upon returning to the hotel at approximately 9:00pm, we were warmly greeted by Meredith at the front desk. She was extremely friendly and engaging, providing pleasant conversation and reinforcing our opinion of the friendliness which we had encountered throughout our stay. The service was excellent, rooms were clean, valet parking was fast and the staff was accommodating.

This was an excellent choice and we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fran B,
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our hotel and thank you for the kind words! It is a pleasure to share our lovely historic hotel with guests as nice as you!
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 2pm and had no trouble with an early check-in. In fact we were given a room upgrade for no apparent reason, even after I requested to have 2 beds instead of the king bed that was originally assigned. The check-in staff couldn't have been more accommodating.

The only overnight parking option through the hotel is $20 valet. I found a spot in a small lot across the Main and High Streets intersection for only $5 per day. I think this is just a weekend deal though, as the price was on a temporary sign.

The public spaces of the hotel are very historic and well maintained. Our room on the 6th floor was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was the one place that could use a little work. The bathtub wasn't draining well and it left a puddle of water at your feet when showering. Plus there was no venting fan, so the steam would quickly build up in the bathroom.

The workout room is in the basement. It is well stocked with equipment, water, and towels. The only problem I had was the temperature was set to 70 degrees, which is warmer than I keep my own house. This is a little too warm for a workout without a fan. There is no pool at this hotel.

The location of the hotel is in the business district of Columbus, near the Courthouse. During our Saturday stay there seemed to be very little going on around the hotel. There was very little that we could have walked to.

Overall we had a nice stay, but I think I'd consider other options on a return visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear edpaffjr,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I truly appreciate your kind words! I hope that you will come back and stay with us when the weather warms. There are many family friendly events and locations nearby. The Columbus Commons features music, food carts, group activities and a working carousel. The new Scioto Mile with its wading fountains, the nearby Discovery Zone, COSI are all also designed for the whole family to enjoy. The Westin is right here in the middle of it all!
Dover, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Last Saturday night, my husband and I stayed in an executive king suite that was extremely comfortable and spacious, including a walk-in closet with safe and iron/board. The bathroom, by comparison was a little smallish, but not unreasonably so, and we enjoyed the double-headed shower. The frame-style lighting around the mirror was nice, too. I had an excellent night's sleep in the comfortable bed with many pillows and cozy bedding.

My mother stayed in a standard room that was pretty small, but perfectly adequate for one person. It had the same great bed and shower, and hers had a lovely view westward toward the river, whereas ours overlooked the roof and HVAC system.

The lobby is enormous and beautiful, obviously built in another era and maintained immaculately. We enjoyed drinks in the Thurber bar, as well as a late-night light supper after the concert we attended in the connecting Southern Theater. The food was tasty and not unreasonably priced.

We highly recommend this hotel if you are attending an event at the Southern Theater as you don't even have to go outside to get into the Theater. Every staff member that we encountered was very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk clerk who checked us in. I wish I could remember her name, Miakala maybe? We will definitely stay at the Westin Columbus anytime we have the opportunity and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Our corner suite on the fourth floor was a long way from the elevator (which is nice actually) and v...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear ecclectic-eccentric

Thank you for your kind words! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return!
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stay at the Westin Colimbus on a weekly basis and can't imagine taking my business elsewhere. The staff is incredible as they always make me feel like I'm at home. Some of the rooms are small, but the hotel is histroic and will impress you in other ways.

I send all my clients to this spot and they all enjoy the hospitality!

Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mahesh R, General Manager at The Westin Columbus, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you Mr. Glass. It is easy to see why you are a favorite guest. Your courtesy and thoughtfulness is apparent in everything you do, and we all appreciate your generous review! I hope that we will continue to improve in our ability to provide the perfect experience each time you are here.