“Not the greatest, but not bad.”

Ramada Columbus Polaris
Ranked #63 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Illinois
“Not the greatest, but not bad.”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Overall, this was a nice hotel, but we did encounter several issues.

Check-in was smooth - our room was quite a hike away from the lobby, though. We could have parked in a back parking lot, but I really prefer to park near the lobby. We got our exercise. Looked at the property map to find the pool was at the opposite end of the hotel. We suited up and walked down... only to discover a sign saying the pool was closed. We walked to the front desk to double-check & yes, it was closed. This was very disappointing because we were really hoping to swim at the end of a long day of driving.

The front desk offered us passes to a nearby fitness center, but they only had a pool for laps, which just wasn't going to work with 2 kids who wanted to play in a pool, not swim laps, so we passed on that offer.

The room itself was clean, although I did kill one spider in the room, plus we saw a rather large spider in the hallway near the pool. The bed & pillows were comfortable. There was a small couch there which worked well for my 8yr old to sleep on.

The ice machines were empty when I went to them in the evening and again in the morning, so that was frustrating. The wi-fi did finally worked, but it took quite awhile to get connected & stay connected.

Breakfast was good - a nice variety of items. Sausage, waffles, yogurt, fruit, cereals, breads, etc... We all had a good breakfast & prepared to hit the road to continue on our journey.

Overall, this wasn't a bad place - it was clean and very convenient to the highway. The lack of ice and the pool being closed were big issues for us. It looked like the hotel was a nice conference center at some point, but had deteriorated a bit over the years.

It worked fine for a one night stay for us while driving through -- I'm not sure I'd want to stay here for several days though... at least not with the issues we encountered.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the lobby or pool
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Not the best hotel in the world, but could be the best value in the world. Clean rooms friendly staff and a great breakfast at a good price. I will stay here again next time I am in columbus. Hotel is a little tricky to find.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Goderich, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed here on an overnight while travelling from Ontario to Myrtle Beach. We arrived at the hotel around 8:00 pm. Quick easy check in into a room that was exactly as advertised. Adequate for my family, clean and ready to go when we arrived. Nothing special and no surprises - which is what I like in a quick overnight stay.

The hotel is at the end of a quiet road near a major intersection just off of I270. Unfortunately to get from highway to hotel it requires three left turns - two of which are at busy intersections - but when returning to highway it is an easy 3 right turns so that makes up for it. The neighborhood of the hotel is commercial and it is quite quiet at the end of the street where the hotel is located - almost too quiet. The parking lot could use a few more lights for my liking.

The inside of hotel was clean and perfectly adequate. Lobby included a large breakfast area - and the breakfast was quite good the next morning at 8:00 before we left and continued our travels to Myrtle Beach. I would give the breakfast area and breakfast itself above average marks.

Nice staff at desk - checkout was just as quick as check in.
Overall Average, no surprises, good breakfast!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank like2travellots
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Firstly, the cleanliness was impeccable! Living with three women, "wife and two girls," I'm used to all kinds of their locks everywhere -no matter how much we clean. In saying this, I am always on the hunt for shedding. Not this place, not even a hair left by another traveler!

The desk staff and managers were awesome! Very kind and considerate.

Who I really want to acknowledge is their chief resident maintenance man. This guy was on it! He even came back the room the next day to make certain we didn't need room cleaning service that day, "-because earlier I had canceled when staff came at the appropriate inspection time-" (slight language barrier but not a problem whatsoever.)

Their continental breakfast was a blessed relief. Plenty to chose from including, 7 types of cereals, waffles, sausage, bagels, 3 types of danish, coffee -of course, 2 juice choices, assorted muffins, apple/bananas and loads of all known condiments.

The location is just off I-70 by a few hundred feet, very close to shopping and restaurants.

The lobby is very comfortable and accommodating. It feels more like your living-room than the front desk area --with all it's plush seating and large screen television.

My father had stayed here during a wedding over a year ago, so my choice was easy during my last stay in Columbus. And you know what, not only will I be back to stay here again, but so will my family.

For the price, location and all the added amenities, you'll not find a better hotel.

Bravo!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jerszak
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed February 9, 2011

This was the first time I had stayed here since October 2009. Again, I was impressed with the cleanliness and kind service! The breakfast, free Internet and good location close to I-270 and many restaurants is a plus.

Our room was clean and well maintained, and included a microwave oven and small refrigerator.

Thanks, Ramada, I will be back!

• Stayed February 2011
Greenwood, Indiana
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We were attending a conference at Easton Hilton and wanted a little better price than the Hilton and other Easton Hotels. Using TripAdvisor and my search engines, I made a reservation at the Ramada - AARP rate under $60 for King N/S. The location is great and only 10 minutes drive to Easton on I-270. Room was spacious and clean. Shower/Tub was in a separate room so mirrors didn't get all fogged up. Vanity area a little snug and two of us at the vanity was an impossibility. Under window heating/cooling unit blew on bed until I moved large chair to deflect airflow. Light curtains were picked up an billowed with A/C air. Fortunately, trash can was pretty heavy and I could pin the curtains back. Breakfast was good but limited (typical waffles, cereal, coffee, etc.). Raisin bran and instant oatmeal were only non-sugar coated cereal options and we got the last of the raisin bran. So, nice room - clean and spacious. Only negatives were minor. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I stayed there after a seminar rather than drive home. Moe is very nice and made me feel welcome, letting me check in during the lunch break for a little rest, the room was clean and quiet, well appointed and the soaps and shampoo are delicious, a sugar ginger scent. It was a wonderful night. I ordered fro online.com, their "room service " offered since there is no restaurant on site and dinner was hot and tasty and arrived in a timely manner. I don't see how this is a 2 star hotel, I'd give it 3+ or 4, only because there was no restaurant or bar on site.
What more can you need but a firm bed, soft sheets a hot shower and nice tv for a night. The micro fridge was clean and popcorn ready, even the in room coffee was better than most placed I have stayed. I'll stay again if I get a chance.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business