This property is a tiny bit hard to find, since S hamilton rd isn't actually the multi lane rd but the east side frontage. You're getting very close when you see the burned out hulking structure that once was a Howard Johnson's.
This is unlike any hawthorn Ive stayed at and is more like a residence in or even a townplace suite. The room even has a wood fireplace? It's fairly well maintained...the area around it is falling into disrepair .
So what's your first impression, as you drive in you'll either be behind or infront of an older vehicle of some sort. the property seems to be a converted apartment complex in a not so pretty part of columbus.(semi sketchy) Check in went fine, but as I headed toward the back part of the complex you kind of get the feeling that about 1/2 of the property is longer term section 8 housing, possibly contractor transient. And you could just swear you're seeing eyes upon you as some illicit activity is taking place near by in a car or apartment. I'd suggest taking your valuables out of your car for the night.
Now that being said, they had a manager reception type thing in the breakfast room above the office. some sort of nearly inedible chicken strip, mixed veggie which wasn't bad, roll (ok) and Ithink it was ice tea. So far so good. NO FBI . The breakfast area has about 8 tables, a couple of wafflers, and I think I saw a sign for "fruit". If there is an elevator I missed it to the bfast area so...it's a full flight above the office.
I probably won't go to breakfast due to an early departure.
The room...I booked a studio , which is essentally a small apartment, full kitchen, micro livingroom a bed and bathroom , nutragena soaps and stuff. really beat to heck clock radio. LG flat 32,
Wifi worked well.
clean enough.. a decent about of outlets and it's almost lit well enough.
It's near i70 but not too to close to the airport to be called an airport version..... don't take hamilton to the airport it's a haul, jump on 70/270/670 and go that way.
There are restaurants nearby...but not walkable. the neighborhood appears a bit iffy..really iffy so morning walks are probably out, and a few feral cats were hanging about which suggest other creatures hanging about. But like I said , it's clean enough inside the apartments.
Assuming my car doesn't get broken into overnight...I guess you could use this as a basecamp for a weekend trip to cbus , OH , pull up on the door handles not down to get into the apt.(and the gyros at Gyro King are not all that good,but the mexican french toast and spicy sweet bacon at Katalina's in victorian village is a nice treat).
For around 60 bucks it beats the econolodge type properties...gas up on Hamilton near broad for the cheapest gas for your rental return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Having completed a renovation in Feb 2017, the Hawthorn Suites Airport Columbus East offers 80 suites with full kitchens, sundry shop with cold and frozen items, business center, fitness center, coin laundry, outdoor pool and a sports court. The property is gated and fenced and security guards are present on weekends for guest security & comfort. Rooms range between 550 to 840 square feet with either queen or king beds and all rooms offer pull out sofa beds as well. The property is only 6 miles from downtown, 4 miles from Nationwide Children's Hospital and 4 miles from Port Columbus Airport (CMH). The Hawthorn Suites offers free hot breakfast daily from 6:30 AM to 9:30AM. Airport shuttle is provided same day with 6 hour notice to the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Airport Columbus East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Airport Columbus East Hotel Columbus
- Columbus Gatehouse Hotel
- Residence Inn Columbus
- Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Airport Columbus East Ohio