“No frills, no sleep for me!”

Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University
Ranked #35 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My daughter and recently stayed here when she was visiting OSU. We have stayed in many hotels lately and this one did not impress me. I have paid about the same for much nicer places in other cities. The place was a little dark, worn and creepy. The location is good, and it's convenient to have a little shopping center across the street. The room was clean, but the sheets were thin and worn. The first night we were there I couldn't figure out why there was so much light in the room at night. Turns out the streetlamp was shining right into the room and was so bright even with the curtains closed. I should have asked for another room. I really wish I would have because the next night was a bigger disaster. Around 10 at night there were some rowdy guys in a nearby room. They were obviously partying, and they were literally yelling at the top of their lungs at times. My daughter and I could clearly hear their conversations, and every other word was the F-bomb. At 11:30 I called the guy at the front desk and complained. He told me that he would speak to them and try to calm them down. Around 12 they left the hotel (whooping and hollering as they went.) At 4am we were woken up by loud voices, loud music, and more cursing and conversations about people passing out. I called the front desk and complained again. The guy at the desk told me he was going to talk to them again. When the ruckus didn't stop after 10 minutes, I called the front desk and told him that if the noise didn't stop I was going to call the cops. The front desk clerk then admitted to me that he couldn't find the room where the noise was coming from. Since no one was registered for any of the rooms on either side of me, he claimed he didn't know which room it was. I told him that all he had to do was follow the noise! He told me he believed me, but he didn't know where it was coming from. I suggested he check the floor below me, since I had put my ear next to the walls and the floor to determine the source of the noise. I was really steamed that he lied to me when he told me he was going to talk to them "again." He had never talked to them in the first place! I guess he just hoped that I would stop complaining. Ok, I know that it wasn't he motel's fault that the guys were rowdy, but I do think they have an obligation to try to solve the problem if someone complains. I really have a hard time believing he couldn't find the noisy room at 4 am!!! The noise eventually stopped. I don't know if the threat to call the cops finally motivated him to do something about it, or if the rowdy guys all passed out! There was never another word nor an apology to me either. I will say that the other front desk clerks were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid room 313 if you like to sleep in total darkness
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindylou717
RedRoof121, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our property. I am so very sorry that we did not bring "our best" customer service to you! I have spoken with the Front Desk attendant that night and I have explained "how we should have handled this situation" I am hoping in the future he handles it the "right way". I have also contacted our lighting people and will have the pole light you referenced angled down to the lot. Again, thank you were much for bringing this to my attention!

Cris Hansen

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have been staying here for many years, my wife and I can't go to far from our home due to certain things so we take mini vacations to this location. The staff is great they make it a point to know there regulars by name and know exactly what I need. They work well with me, when I request a late check out. Room is always cleaned we haven't found one we haven't liked yet. Caitlin is always pleasant and so helpful with everything. I highly recommend this place if your in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David G
RedRoof121, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know how your stay was at The Red Roof Inn OSU. I'm so pleased to hear that Caitlin is so helpful and we meet your needs when you stay. Thanks for the positive feedback. Look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn located on Ackerman Road. To my surprise it was one of my best stays in Columbus to date. The lobby and exterior both have been recently renovated and I was told that they are looking forward to a full room renovation in the near future. The room was very clean. The room amenities are minimal however, economical also there is a larger variety of items available at the front desk- lotion, shaving cream, razors, tooth brushes, tooth paste, irons and ironing boards, hair dryers, extras of everything in the room... and all you have to do call. I was greeted within 5 minutes by a pleasant and sincere smile, more than happy to deliver my forgotten toiletries to me. It was in a very convenient location for food, campus exploration and access to major roadways. My first morning I went down to the office to get directions to where my meeting was located, unfortunately I had misplaced the slip of paper that included the address, the front desk clerk gladly searched the building, got the address, and printed out directions... I know it has to become boring if not annoying constantly doing such things for people all the time but any question or favor I needed, these people were there, ready and waiting, not only smiling but excitedly prepared to go the distance asked of them. Hands down, this corporation is very lucky to have such staff members committed to customer service. Bravo!

Room Tip: If you are booking through an online web offer like expedia and hotels.com know that whatever room t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank taylor_boston

I want to Thank You for taking the time out to tell us how your stay was at the Red Roof Inn OSU Campus. I'm so pleased to hear that my staff went the distance to help you out. I do have a good Team and its nice to hear that from the guest. I hope that your next trip to the area will bring you back to the Red Roof Inn and we look forward to assisting you next time.

Thanks Again,

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I wanted to give an update from my previous rating since I have been staying here four nights a week for the past four months. Over this time frame I have become more familiar with the hotel and the area and would like to share my experience.

My opinion hasn't changed any from my first review. The area is in a very nice and safe. It's perfect if your gonna be in town for sporting events especially since it is very close to the stadium. There are a lot of people that stay at the hotel that are regulars during football season and they love the place and the staff also. If you or a loved one are going to visit the hospital the staff goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable and quiet to reduce the stress of the situation. Being in the healthcare industry really make me appreciate the compassion the staff shows as a company representative and as good people.

The staff here is incredible. The Manager Stephenie is by far the best manager I have met at any hotel I have stayed at. She is great to work with and has done a great job at working around the lobby remodel. The rest of the property is due for renovation some time in the future and I'm confident she will do a great job over seeing it done with minimal problems with the guess that stay during it. With that being said she is a huge part of the reason I've stayed here this long and will continue to thru February.

The front staff is great also. Caitlin, Jacob, Hazel, Pamela and Max are all very professional and handle any situation in a timely and helpful manner. Their knowledge of the area and things to do are always appreciated. I can't say enough good things about them all. They all do everything possible to make the guess feel welcomed and as comfortable as possible.

The up keep on the property is done well also. From the first time I pulled up the outside of the property is well maintained and looked nice. Since then they have repainted the exterior and it looks really nice. The maintenance man Mike does an excellent job keeping everything running smooth and if anything does goes wrong in room it is fixed as soon as possible and done correct.

With all being said I highly recommend this hotel if your going to be in the area. You just can't beat the price for what you get. I hope you find this helpful because there is a lot of hotels in the area. I have checked them out and found this to be the best choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gina_Matt2013
RedRoof121, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you so much for doing an update on your stay at The Red Roof Inn OSU location. I'm so glad we were able to meet you needs and you feel comfortable staying here. Thanks for being such a Brand advocate. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Thanks
Steph

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

It is great location, if you want to visit OSU. Front staf are very helpfull. Many restaurant are near as well Kroger. No breakfast available. The hotel needs renovation completly. Room is dirty with stain in carpet and bed matress. A lot of insect over wall. The A/C is very loud.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hanywadie
RedRoof121, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know how your stay was at the Red Roof Inn OSU. I'm sorry we were not able to meet your expectations but this location is up for a renovation, so hopefully in the future you will give us a second chance. I do apologize for the issues that you had in your room. We do try our very best to keep the stink bugs out of the rooms, its that time of year where there looking for a warmer place to stay. If you could send me a email to i0121@redroof.com so I know which room number you were in that would be great. I would like to get the carpet cleaned and mattress taken care of as well as have my maintenance person fix the loud A/C unit. Thank you so much for your feedback, I can't fix the issues if I don't know about it so I appreciate all positive and negative feedback. I look forward to talking to you, thanks again for letting me know.

room

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Since my business trip was about saving money, I decided to go with Red Roof Inn because of the proximity to where I was going and also based on what other reviewers wrote. Unfortunately, I did not have a positive experience. I had to change rooms 2 times! The first room had a leaky bathtub fawcet...hot water too! The second room, the TV didn't work. The third room seemed fine.I settled in for the evening and something landed on my pillow...it was a bug! Of course that was the last straw for me! The front desk staff were very kind with accomodating me with my discontent. I wasn't about to check out of the hotel nor did I want to switch rooms again. They discounted the room by $15...had hoped that they could've comped the room but they didn't. Also, if you are not using the room safe, make sure they don't charge you for it on your final bill.
If you are budget minded than you can't beat the location to OSU but otherwise, I'd look a little further out.

Room Tip: My preference is the top floor.Seems there is less car traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Latgrl
RedRoof121, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Columbus-The Ohio State University, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know how your stay was at the Red Roof Inn OSU. I’m sorry that we were unable to meet you expectations. At Red Roof Inn we really try to provide you with a positive experience. I do appreciate you brining up your concerns such as the leaking facet and TV not working, my maintenance person has already fixed these issues due to you bringing them to our attentions. Sorry about the stink bug in the room it is that time of year where they are trying to get in from the cold and we are doing our best to try and prevent them from entering the rooms. I hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us another chance so that we can meet and exceed your expectations.
Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here on a trip to the Quaterhorse Congress at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. It was only about five minutes away. All rooms had exterior entrances. We stayed on the third floor so we felt safe. We did kill 4 bugs climbing on the walls but didn't see any after that. Room was clean. They do not serve a breakfast but mcdonalds is next door. Checking in and out was easy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time out to let us know how your stay was at the Red Roof Inn OSU campus. I'm sorry to hear about the bugs on the wall, its that time of year were they are looking for warm place. We are doing are best to keep the stink bugs out of the rooms and hopefully they will not be a issue for the next guest. I'm glad that my staff was able to make your check In and out very easy. I hope we can give you the same clean room and great service next time your in the area.