“Dependably Excellent”

Ranked #75 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Carbondale, Illinois
“Dependably Excellent”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

As this is halfway between my current city and my distant home town, I have stayed here many times in the last 3-1/2 years. The staff is always friendly, the rooms clean, in great condition and fresh smelling. I really enjoy that dogs stay for free, with no deposit or fuss, and everyone is sweet to my pooch. I also love the free WiFi. You can't beat the location for restaurants, gas, etc. I highly recommend it as a great place to stay for a modest price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Diane C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I traveled from Winston Salem, nc to Ohio to see family for the Thanksgiving holiday. They allowed me to bring my dogs and even gave me a box of dog bones for them. Every time I left the room, I came back to a clean room. The staff were great. I even got a great price for the three days I stayed there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Katrina M
RedRoof009, Manager at Red Roof Inn Columbus West, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Red Roof Inn Columbus West. I'm glad you and your dogs had a wonderful stay. Can't wait to see you next time.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprized to find the room clean and totally odor free.
Linen was clean and free of creepy cheap detergent feel. Bath room was clean.
It felt like a $80-$100+ dollar/day room, but at half that price.
I travel a lot and this location of Red roof Inn will be my regular stay spot when ever I am in Columbus OH. I've already made reservation for next week also.
Ace.Virginian

Room Tip: This location is 10Mi from Downtown, easy highway access . But the great thing is it has everything...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Ace_Virginian
Newark
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My wife, adult daughter and I stayed at the Red Roof Inn Columbus West - Hilliard on Sept 19, 2011. My daughter discovered at least one bedbug on her bed (Room 128) and other eggs or defacation on the bed. She reported this to the Front Desk but they told her the motel was booked full, so she moved her things and slept in our room (136).

The Front Desk later told me they'd gotten permission to offer her a larger room which wasn't being used because the tv was broken. However, she'd already moved to our room, so we declined. They did not charge us for her room.

Our room was OK, except for the presence of one large spider.

Room Tip: Check for bedbugs multiple times, early and late
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessie S
I apologize for your experience at our Inn. We take all guest concerns very seriously, we have a third party company that comes in and inspects our Inn and takes care of our issues. I apologize we weren’t able to accommodate your daughter with a new room quickly enough. We hope you give us the opportunity to provide with you a better experience on your next stay.
Stephanie
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for five nights this summer. We knew that it was a budget hotel and didn't expect much due to the reasonable price. We were very pleasantly surprised. The upgraded room was very large, and the work space gave us plenty of room to spread out our food when we decided to eat in for breakfast. Having a small refrigerator was a great benefit, although we would also have appreciated a freezer. The ice machine wasn't working, so the staff got a cooler filled with ice for folks to use each day. The room was clean and well lit. We also appreciated having a sink outside of the bathroom. We plan to go to this inn again the next time we go to Columbus to visit our daughter and son-in-law.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbugsharon1
Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just got back from one night at the Red Roof Inn Columbus West. I was traveling with 6 other women attending a women's conference. I chose this hotel because of it's reviews and was not disappointed! It was very clean and the price was great! The location was easy to get to and in a nice area with lots of eateries and shopping near by.

This not a high frills place so if that is what you're looking for you'll not find it. I didn't love the pillows; one very flat and one way too soft but for one night they were manageable. Usually if I'm staying more than one night I take my own pillow anyway. There are not any ironing boards, irons or hair dryers in the room but are available at the front desk if desired. No microwave or mini fridge in room either. But again, for one night and for a CLEAN hotel, I'm ok with it. I take those items in rooms for granted so it didn't even occur to me they wouldn't be there.

I would definitely stay here again. Did I mention it was clean? :o)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank AbbyandAidansmom
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were booked into a King, Superior room for 3 nights, arriving 8/6/11. The front desk was extremely dysfunctional. The woman checking people in seemed distracted, and maids kept coming to the desk with bins of dirty laundry and asking questions about scheduling. I called the hotel before we left home and the woman told me they would block a room at the rear of the hotel, away from the highway, to minimize noise since the rooms open to the outside and the parking lot. Check in time is 1 PM, but at 3 PM when we arrived, they were in no way ready to accept new guests. The room that was supposedly blocked for us was not available, and the only room offered was right next to the "lobby" - which is really just a small room with a counter - and facing the highway. Not what we wanted, and certainly not what we had been assured we would have. After looking at room 101, I returned to the front desk and cancelled our reservation. Even though it was late in the afternoon, it was raining, and we had no fall back position, there was NO way we were going to stay there. It is, quite frankly, a dump, and although we were looking for a budget hotel, we weren't that desperate. Stay away.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family