“Old air conditioning systems, dirty filters. Good location.”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #62 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Location is obviously good being downtown. The hotel itself is a bit shabby and tired. But the biggest problem is the air system, they are old and often don't work right. You might get one that won't turn off or blows only warm air, etc. The filters desperately need cleaning, don't open the cover and look unless you're brave. I recommend checking your system before you get too comfortable.

Room Tip: Ensure your air conditioner works before you get all unpacked. A lot of them don't.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear west5er,

Ben J

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked in advance for 2 nights at this central location. It turned out to be a fairly standard affair for a Holiday Inn. The internal décor is getting a little tired and the venue could do with a little livening up. However, the room was clean and quiet, apart from the fire engines from the nearby fire station. The beds very comfortable and there were 75 channels available on the TV in case of boredom.
Breakfast in the restaurant was very good and service was fine. I thought it was a bit rich to charge 10 bucks per day for the car park, but if everywhere else charges then I suppose its fair. Handy for downtown areas and the river front as well as a number of bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: The hotel is the centre of a block so there are no quiet rooms. The views on the north side are bet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear Ian B,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the kind remarks on our room accommodations and happy to read you enjoyed breakfast. I apologize if the hotel decor and atmosphere did not live up to your expectations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, thank you for your valuable review. I hope if you get back to the area, you will consider staying at our hotel again.

Zelyn N

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I attended a concert of Beatles tributes bands one night in Columbus, Ohio. Her sister-in-law found this hotel for us to stay during the night as it was close to the venue. I've traveled for business for many years before starting this account and I think I enjoyed this hotel more than many fancy ones I've been to. The room was clean. The only thing wrong is that I'm a plus sized person and the room did not have a comfortable chair for me to sit in. The desk chair was very uncomfortable. Otherwise, the staff were very good, especially the wait people in the restaurant. Wish I had spent more time there, depending if they had a comfortable chair.

Room Tip: I never remember to ask in advance for a comfortable chair. Try it if you need one.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was in Columbus for 4 weeks on business and initially booked this hotel. They upgraded me to an “executive level room” which was dimly lit, long overdue for a renovation and bordered the elevator shaft along two walls. The bathroom was so tiny that you had to carefully step around the toilet when exiting the shower. After the first night, I canceled the remainder of my first week’s reservation and moved to another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear wakefj,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in December 2013 for a wedding. Most other people were at the Renaissance a few blocks away, but we had our dog with us and this hotel is dog-friendly.

Positives first: it was clean and comfortable, and everyone was friendly and accomodating. That's EVERY SINGLE PERSON: front desk staff, housekeeping staff, shuttle drivers, restaurant and bar staff, maintenance team, everyone. They could not have been nicer.

However.

I went down to use the exercise room when we checked in, and it wasn't in great shape. The heater was broken (hanging open) and the drinking fountain wasn't working. There was an empty dispenser of what I assume was supposed to be wet wipes, so there was no way to clean the equipment. The elliptical was broken; some of the plastic cover panels were missing, and one of the handles was hanging by a thread.

From there I went to take a shower in my room, but when I turned on the shower, no water came out and the tub vibrated and made an awful noise. I don't know anything about plumbing (I have since been told that this isn't a big deal), so I called the front desk. They got us into a new room right away, plus they comped us breakfast the next day (which was outstanding).

The heater had a temperature gauge, but not a thermostat -- meaning, you could set a temperature, and then it would blast that temperature until you turned it off. The room alternated between really hot and really cold.

Also, there's no hot tub, just a pool.

Please understand, I normally laugh at reviews like this: "I'm sorry, was the elliptical not up to your standards, your highness?" None of these things are really big complaints, and like I said, it was clean and comfortable. But taken together, all these things take a hotel from "really nice" to "just fine". This Holiday Inn is just fine. Don't avoid it or anything, but if you can find another place in the same price range, maybe check that out first.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrea1018,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Your comments about the fitness center and the bathroom conditions have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Janice A

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Location is good, as it's right in downtown. However, service is poor and customer service comes last. Prior to booking here, I asked about shuttle services to and from a specific destination. The hotel said they do offer shuttle services and were willing to shuttle me to that location. When I checked in I received the same response and instructions on getting a shuttle. However, although the hotel did shuttle me TO my location, they then refused to shuttle me BACK to the hotel later as promised, saying the location was "out of radius." I was then stuck away from the hotel and had to get cab service back. I wish the hotel had just been honest up front about what they were able to offer in terms of shuttle services (or listened to my request closely...I just do not understand why they didn't know this ahead of time). Had I known I would have booked elsewhere or just rented a car instead. Not worth the headache of dealing with the hotel staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear M S,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review of your recent experience at our property. This feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

While we are pleased to hear that our location suited your travel well, we would like to apologize for the issues you experienced surrounding our shuttle service. We can assure you that your experience is not indicative of the quality we are known to provide.

As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review and make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here in December of 2013 for one night and had 2 rooms. The parking is a 10$ charge per night but is very accessible and right next to the front entrance. The check in process was smooth and the staff was friendly and helpful. We got in relatively late (9pm) and the hotel bar was still open and serving food, although we chose to walk about a quarter mile down the street to a bar / restaurant called Little Palace which happens to be next to a few other joints that are open late. The rooms are a bit older but are far from "bad". This may depend on which floor you are on as if I had to guess the rooms on the 10th floor where we stayed were renovated in the past 5 or 6 years. The rooms did have a flat screen TV, mini fridge (empty), iron/board, and a bathroom with the normal list of toiletries provided. Sleep was OK, I'll mention that the room was incredibly dry (no humidity) but everything else was fine and up to Holiday Inn standards. Breakfast was pay-for in the main restaurant, but key for me is that they had us in and out quickly. From the second we sat down the service was fast, friendly and the food was very good. All in all good staff, OK rooms, good breakfast. Odd neighborhood but fine. OK sleep quality. I think this hotel is good for its star class and brand. 3.5/5

Room Tip: I always find rooms on higher floors have less road noise.