“Good for a weekend”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #62 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I must say I found my room to be quite comfortable. The staff was attentive and friendly, and called me right away to ask if the room was satisfying. There is ample parking if you come with a car, but I find this hotel to be uneven. Some things work beautifully and other are in need of improvement.

The hotel is located downtown but it is right by the bus terminal, which is probably not the most charming block in town. You have to walk a few blocks to find a decent restaurant, which, I guess, is good for your health. The internet is free but comes in and out. I thought the restaurant was the worst. The service was friendly, but the food was not fresh. They offer a breakfast buffet, but I found mold on the bread, and I could not eat my fruit salad because it tasted like vinegar. I had to return it.

In general, I think this hotel is fine for a weekend. It does have a pool, a decent gym and a business center. It also offers a van service if you need to be driven somewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

suitcase63,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We always appreciate feedback to help our staff provide the best experience for our guests. Please accept our apologies regarding the experience you received in our restaurant. We make a conscious effort to strive for the best within all areas of our hotel and we apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments for further evaluation. Once again, thank you for your comments and for staying with us.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights. The room was updated and clean. The shower was delightful! The bath was small, but very clean. Was a little disappointed with the hallway. It smelled very musty and there was a fan blowing in the wall, like it was trying to dry out the wall...
Staff was very friendly.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Betsy H,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for the comments about our hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our rooms to be comfortable and our staff to be friendly. Please allow us to host you again on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Last weekend myself along with a couple other friends visited Columbus for the UW vs OSU football game. We were pumped to have found a hotel near campus, but paid a pretty penny for the room. When you walk in, the building looks nice, with an appealing first floor. Unfortunately, as soon as we left the check-in area we instantly regretted staying here. The rooms were more run down than any hotel room I have ever been before (and I have LIVED out of hotels during travel for ~6 months). The beds were smaller than any I have ever encountered. The bathroom was the most disgusting aspect of the hotel room, including black "gunk" all over the bottom of the tub and mold within the room. The first morning, we decided to go down to get breakfast, only to find out it costed ~$10 for the buffet. I would have had no problem, however the meal was awful. Everything had been sitting out for hours and the eggs were fluffy beaters that tasted disgusting. The only positive experience I had during the stay was the waitress at the breakfast buffet, who was wonderful. Overall, I recommend staying at any other hotel in the area if you have the opportunity. It is NOT worth half of what they charge. Manager: if you are reading this, don't bother posting the generic response that you have posted for all of the previous reviews (who clearly had a very similar experience as I had). You are not helping your cause posting a pathetic, generic response to every person that is posting these terrible reviews.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mike R
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Mike R,

Thank you so much for your comments. While you were not satisfied with your visit, I am glad we are able to provide you and all of our guests a forum to discuss your thoughts about our property. I personally apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to speak further on these matters.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I didn't have as bad of an experience as a few of the reviewers. The hotel was perfect for just a place to sleep for 2 nights. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice and very helpful (I think his name was John). Obviously a higher floor would be better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Heather M,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We really appreciate your positive input. We strive to always provide the best customer service to all of our guests and I am pleased to hear that the level of customer service you received was sufficient during your stay. And please allow us to host you again on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

They call it a three star hotel, it's really just a big dump. 1.5 stars at best. They gave me a non-smoking room that smelled like an ash tray covered up with air freshener. There was black mold growing in a picture on the wall. The place looks like it belongs in a war zone. The staff was polite enough and gave me another, much cleaner room, but this place is scary. They also gave me a coupon for a free breakfast. No thanks. There's no way I'd eat food there. Yuck. It's too bad the nice people who work here have no option, but to apologize for such a trashy place.

Put simply. There are too many other options to stay in this pit...especially for what they try to charge. Never, ever, ever again.

An embarrassment to national chains.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Stan W,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our hotel. We are very sorry about your experience in our facility. We take great pride in our upkeep of this facility and we do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. If you would like to speak further on this issue, please contact me directly at the property. Once again, we appreciate the feedback and I have forwarded these comments to the appropriate departments for further evaluation.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stay in Columbus multiple times a year and this was by far the worst. This hotel was completely run down and gross. Our hvac did not work properly, there was no bathroom fan, and the bathtub had cracks and a moldy ceiling. Being labeled a Holiday Inn I had much higher expectations. The Westin a block away I stayed at a week prior was much better kept. I made the mistake of not booking them for this week as well.

• Stayed: September 2013

leenerz,

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I put my bags down, head for the bathroom and the seat is up with disgusting yellow-brown pee solidified drips all over the underside of the seat which was up. So, hello, housekeeping -- you didn't even try to hide the fact that you didn't clean the toilet. And I don't see how you "missed" it. Ah, yes, and then the toilet ran aaaallll night long. Oh ... you think this review is gross? Well just imagine how I felt. Geezus. All I want is a clean room and a good bed. Is that TOO much to freaking ask for these days??????

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo