“Over All Great As Allways ...”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #65 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Over All Great As Allways ...”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have stayed at this location several times through the years and would be surprised if we don't return again. We like the location as the name says it is Downtown by the Capitol .Nice enough view of the city from the front facing rooms. Indoor Pool with disability lift !!! The pool towels are kept right by the pool. There is also an out door sitting area by the pool. Changing rooms in the indoor pool area :-) . Descent workout space across from the pool. There is an onsite restaurant ( cant really rate it because don't get more than coffee and such ) Key card parking .Staff seems friendly every time we stay. Nice park nearby. We have always found the rooms to be clean and the beds comfortable. I rated it a 5 HOWEVER, I would liked to give 4 and 1/2 because it isn't perfect but it is close I believe. It is our favorite place we have stayed in the Downtown Columbus area.

Room Tip: Best views facing front of Hotel .
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
thepotterschild,

Thank you so much for staying with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your comments regarding our property. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we take great pride in our hotel's standards. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Don't know why, but this hotel seems to attract a high number of unfavorable guests. Every time I left the room, I was treated to shirtless beer bellies or scantily clad cougars retrieving ice or buying cokes at the vending machine outside my room.
Our room was very large due to its proximity to the elevators, perhaps, so large it was awkward to watch the tv which seemed too far away from the sofa or the bed.
The bathroom is ridiculously cramped, you can barely open the door when you're inside it without stubbing your toe.
On the bright side, I love the brand shampoo and lotion they provide. The desk staff was friendly and efficient.
Least liked. The $10 per day parking and the poor quality food in the restaurant. I was feeling ill and didn't want to go out, but I would have been better off with a styrofoam cup of ramen.

• Stayed September 2013
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Janick2010,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments regarding our hotel. We do apologize about quality of service you received during your stay with us. We take great pride in all areas of our hotel and once again apologize that the facility did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you have any other questions or concerns.

Bardstown, Kentucky
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The service by the staff was fantastic! I was impressed at the quality of service the staff saw that everyone received! As part of a large group staying at the hotel, I was always amazed at the quality of service and the preparedness of the staff to make sure we were well cared for during our stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GemDandies,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. We really appreciate it. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the quality of service was to your liking. Please allow us to host you on your next visit to Columbus, Ohio.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We need a place to stay that was close to Nationwide Children's Hospital. The Hospital recommended the Holiday Inn as it was only a mile from the Hospital. I was a little worried about booking a room here with the different types of reviews that I had read. We got to the Hotel around 9:30 on a Wednesday night and were very well taken care of. The entrance area was nice and up to date and CLEAN. We got to our room and the first thing I did was check everything out. I look at the wall paper, the ceiling, the bathroom and all the other things people had complained about. Our room was spotless and had none of the issues that people have complained about. The Cleaning staff took care of us each morning and the staff was wonderful to deal with. We took a swim in the pool while we were there and it was refreshing also. If we ever have to come back to Children's Hospital this is the place we will stay at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dieselguy8599
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dieselguy8599,

Thank you so much for staying with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your very nice comments about our hotel. We take great pride in the upkeep of our facility and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Feel free to stop by whenever you make your way back to Columbus, Ohio.

State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before I was disappointed to see it having deteriorated as it has. My toilet was blocked and took ages to drain. A colleague found the bedside clock plugged into an extension chord on the floor and when she plugged it into the correct receptacle next to the bed it shorted out the room. Clearly a safety issue there, which the front desk knew about when she reported it. Another guest checking out the same time I did was irate the drain blockages in the bathroom he had reported during his stay had not been resolved. This place needs some serious maintenance and I'd stay away until it's done.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelNutFromPA
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
TravelNutfromPA,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your comments regarding our facility. I am very sorry about the maintenance issues you endured during your stay here. We take great pride in the work that we put into our facility and apologize that our property did not meet your standards during your last visit. I have documented your concerns and forwarded them to the appropriate departments for their review and evaluation. If you have any further comments or concerns, feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Thank you once again for staying with us.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here during the Boom and couldn’t have chosen a better property! The lady that checked me in was fabulous and friendly. My room was large and spacious. I didn’t get to use the swimming pool or try out the restaurants, but everything looked great! Nice place to stay especially if you wanna be near downtown!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom F, Manager at Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Amberlee,

Thank you so much for staying with Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself during Red, White and BOOM. Hopefully, the next time you stay with us, you will be able to enjoy our pool and restaurant. Thank you once again for your stay and for your comments.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The reason I give this a poor rating is quite simple. If you are going to charge a higher rate than other hotels because of your location, then you better have every single room stacked with amenities so your patrons don't end up feeling cheated.

The hotel was clean and the staff was courteous, but the carpet, wallpapers, and narrow hallway gives the hotel an outdated feel.

Our king size bed room had no refrigerator, no microwave, and only one small dresser with three doors. In an era when chain franchises have the immense buying power to purchase in mass bulk, there is no good reason for those items not to be in every single room, especially when many less popular chains have made it a point to install these as a standard. Was also not thrilled that the so called secured parking lot was left unsecured all night.

Our stay was by no means horrible, but for the price, Holiday Inn should be able to do a lot better than this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

wraithleaderx,

Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us. I appreciate the diligence and detail in your response of our hotel. I do apologize that our amenities did not live up to your expectations. We try to strive for the highest of standards in our rooms and we always strive to make all of our guests happy with their stay. If you would like to speak further about your issues during your stay, please do not hesitate to call me directly at the hotel. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience but we do appreciate your stay.