“Some good some bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Some good some bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel seemed a bit expensive considering the room was a bit "tired" looking. We did get an upgrade to a small suite that had an attached living room and additional bathroom which was very much appreciated. The bedding was actually quite good - not the best you can get at hotels, but probably better than most in its similar price range/group. Hotel was clean. We encountered 2 staff (one at check in; one at check out) and they were both very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant and lounge didn't look to be that promising since there were only a handful of people at the bar. The location is horrible so we weren't able to walk to any restaurants in the area. Probably would not stay at this hotel due to the location, but I understand they did have shuttle service. We would have still preferred to stay at a hotel with a good location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. The kind words about our bedding and service are much appreciated by the staff considering the pride they take in their jobs. I apologize you were unable to work to the restaurant you desired. The front desk has extensive knowledge of the area attractions including the walkable restaurants and can arrange shuttle to locations a bit further away. Thank you again for your review, we will use the information you provided us to better serve our guests moving forward.

614-242-3902

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Louisa, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stay here frequently currently at least once a week. My son has leukemia and is treated at Nationwide Children's Hospital. The hotel is located just a few blocks from the hospital. The staff here are wonderful, very courteous and accommodating. If available they always get us a fridge for my sons meds. The rooms are clean and the hotel is quiet. The restaurant is really slow. I will definitely be coming back here. My daughter loves the pool.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your loyalty and the kind words. I have shared your review with the staff and they are very proud they could make your experience a positive one. I have let the restaurant know about your concerns and are working to increase the speed. Thank you again for your kind words it means a lot to our hard working employees.

Manhattan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is clean and very decent, but in a less than ideal location. It is a high rise in central Columbus, but still somehow isolated from the city. It is surrounded by a huge parking lot which makes the hotel very unappealing. On top of this, guests are charged a fee to park their car. There are no shops, restaurants, coffee, restaurants, etc. in near proxomity to the hotel. So I felt very "stuck" in the hotel.

The staff was nice and the room was OK. There is a small pool and work out area.

Hello,

I would first off like to thank you for selecting the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your review of your stay in Columbus. I appreciate you input about our location and apologize you were not made aware of our free local shuttle during your stay. Our shuttle will take you to and from any of the numerous attractions in Downtown for no charge. We will make sure the staff is more forth coming with the attractions within walking distance and the shuttle service moving forward. Thank you again for your stay and your review. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know.

St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel was dated and a didn't seem to be very clean however I was able to walk to German village and the river easily. The hotel van was available for longer distances. The area seemed a little unsafe to walk around at night so call the van or a cab. The staff was friendly enough but of you want nice accomadations stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hello,

I would first off like to thank you for selecting the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your stay in Columbus. I apologize you the room was not to your liking and we will work improve for your next visit. I am glad you were able to utilize our free transportation and had pleasant experience with our staff. We work very hard to exceed our guest expectations and value feedback such as yours. Thank you again for your stay and should you need anything moving forward please let me know.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Clean hotel that has a restaraunt and bar on property. Nothing special about the food but good and priced reasonable. Decent pool and work out room as well. Some nice meeting rooms if you need those. The room had some noise through the window and I think it was just from the wind. Nothing too bad to overcome with the fan on. My biggest comlaint is there wasnt much right around the hotel in regards to food.

• 4 of 5 stars
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Mr. K

Next time you visit I will be happy to direct you to a couple great local restaurants that are a short two block walk. We also offer a local shuttle at no charge that can take you anywhere you wish with in a three mile radius.

Thank you again for your stay and please let me know if I can assist you with any hotel needs moving forward.

614-221-3281
Hurricane, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although several older reviews found a few things to nit-pick about their stay, I found the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown / Capital Square to be excellent in value, service, cleanliness, and friendliness.

The desk staff was very prompt and courteous at check-in and with every other interaction I had in my four day stay. The shuttle drivers were always willing and able to take guests anywhere in town, and went out of their way to make sure our group of about 20 had transportation whenever needed. We ate at the restaurant every morning -- the wait staff their were very friendly and efficient, and the only complaint I can think of would be the institutional powdered eggs served on the buffet. They were really bad, and the next morning, the restaurant offered "made to order" eggs for anyone who wanted to eat from the buffet - problem solved.

The rooms were clean, the mattresses were great, the exercise center was well equipped for a hotel, including two treadmills, bike, elliptical, and even a cable-weight machine.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, or advise others to do so.

Mr. Williams

Thank you for your kind words they are much appreciated. I have shared this review with the staff here at the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown posting it in employee areas for all to see. They were both excited and proud to receive such a review from you. Thank you again for your stay and should you stay with us again I would like an opportunity to thank you in person.

614-221-3281
Hartford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This property is below average for a Holiday Inn. As a HI Platinum member I say at Holiday Inn's at least 80 nights a year. The restaurant staff was not customer friendly. Got my breakfast and dinner orders wrong. The food took way to long to arrive. the "breakfast buffet" only operates on weekends according to the staff. The room needed repair and the bathtub drain was clogged. When coming to Columbus, try another hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Grant B, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown Capital Square, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hello,

I would first off like to thank you for selecting the Holiday Inn Columbus Downtown and for your loyalty to our brand. Secondly I would like to sincerely apologize to you for not providing you the proper level service during your stay. I have had experiences while traveling that have been less than favorable and I empathize with your situation. I have made the restaurant and engineering department aware of the issues during your stay and we are working to remedy these situations. Thank you for making me aware of these short comings and if you would like to speak with me further about these issues I will gladly take your call. Thank you again for your loyalty to Holiday Inn and feel free to call me if you wish.

Grant B