Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$144
$308
$258
$119
  • Room Service
Best Western Suites(Columbus)(Great Value!)
$107
$93
$163
$149
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe holiday innchildren's hospitalmedical centersmall bathroomcapitol squarenice indoor pooldecent hotelan older hotelhotel shuttlehotel restaurantfree shuttleexercise roomwater pressureunder constructionone night stayohio stateup to date
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed there when we visited for a Blue Jackets / Red Wings game. It is a basic hotel at a decent price, which was clean and had good service. Not a luxurious hotel, but was a decent place to stay downtown. The location was about a mile or so from the hockey arena and we wound up walking back after the game. The hotel bar is nice and the bartender was very personable and gave some great advice on area restaurants.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I dont understand why people are posting poor reviews of this hotel, I stayed here the last week of July and had an EXCELLENT stay. If you ask questions to the staff they are more than willing to go out if their way to help you.
The people that work in the mornings generally seem overwhelmed, but the evening staff is excellent, always going above and beyond what I would expect for a holiday inn.
Only complaint I have would be, wish they had flat screen tvs in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I can just sum it all up by saying that we were told that a HOLD of $221 would be placed on out credit card to be released when we checked out. I get home and check our account online and find that they actually held $965 which caused us to overdraft. When we called them to work it out their response was, "Sorry you were told that....you will get your money in 7-10 business days". WHAT? So what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Keep over-drafting? Our bank worked it out eventually but it was such a hassle. Hotel was NO help. We will never stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank apace0303
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Like virtually everyone else in the Holiday Inn the week I stayed, I was there for the Ohio Bar Examination, so I apologize, but this review is geared towards Bar applicants. As Holiday Inns go, this was not the nicest I have stayed at (especially for being in the heart of the downtown) but it was adequate and the staff was helpful. Our room was $90 a night at our discount rate, at three nights plus parking and city and state taxes, the total was $345.

My roommate and I booked a two-bed guest room and it was pretty much what you would expect. The bathroom was a bit crowded and the only sink was inside the bathroom. There were an underwhelming number of outlets so if you will be bringing computers, alarm clocks, phone chargers, etc., a power strip would be advisable. There is FREE Wi-Fi which was great (several of the downtown hotels charge $10 a day for internet access). The food and drinks at the restaurant and bar were fine and reasonably priced. It's a pretty limited appetizer/sandwich/salad/pasta menu though and room service adds a $3 delivery fee plus 18% gratuity. We did not get a chance to check out the pool, fitness center, or even the television, but I heard from others they were nice.

The second day of our stay, there was, inexplicably, no maid service. The plumbing was ridiculously loud and we were awoken the morning of the Multistate to our neighbor’s shower sounding more like a jet taking off. There was also some construction going on at the building next door but they kept it to reasonable hours. Generally, the hotel was pretty quiet in the evenings. As others have pointed out, regardless of how often you leave or how long you stay, it is $10 a day to park (added to your bill) and breakfast is not included in the rate of the room. There were no courtesies in the lobby like cookies, fruit, coffee, or even water; this place is pretty Spartan with the amenities. There was no option to arrange for/pay for late check out; it was strictly at noon which was inconvenient considering the exam ends right around noon, meaning we had to pack up and check out before we left for the last day of the exam.

I would point out there was no microwave or mini-fridge in the room, only a single cup coffee maker. Similarly, there was no guest kitchen, vending area, or sundry store, only pop and ice machines on a few floors. Do not plan on making food at the hotel; your only option is to have the bartender take it to the kitchen to microwave it and he was so busy most nights that this was not a realistic option.

I have to say the staff did their best to accommodate us. Check in and check out were very quick despite the number of people arriving and leaving at the same time. Although they did not offer late check out on the last day of the exam, they invited us to return to the lobby and use the wireless to upload exam answers and said they could hold our luggage if needed. We overwhelmed the hotel restaurant and room service, but the bartender was willing to seat people at the bar and put in dinner or to-go orders. Additionally, the hotel shuttles were running to Veterans Memorial before and after the exam (if you plan on driving, be warned, it’s another $7 to park a day at Veterans). The hotel is a few blocks from Veterans Memorial (just under a mile) and you could certainly walk to and from the exam. All in all, this is a pretty typical, affordable Holiday Inn that tries to accommodate the Bar Exam rush.

Room Tip: Floors 6, 9, and 12 have ice and pop machines.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Penguinette
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Really appalled at the Customer Service! My boys went to see New Castle United play Columbus Crew.. 4 in all. Ages 19-20. I searched the website before I booked and did not see an age restriction, the only thing I saw was 18+ on rates so assumed ok. They arrived from Chicago (6 hours)upon check in they were asked their age.. remember one of them is 20.. they snatched back the reservation and told very rudely they could not stay there. My kids called me and I asked to speak to the woman, she did not want to take the call and told them it won't change anything anyway. I spoke with her and could not believe her attitude. She was not friendly or even helpful.. she had trouble finding her age policy. She said no Downtown hotel accepts under 21. I asked her for assistance in locating a different hotel. She did not want to help. Frustrated being far away and not being able to help my kids... Moms you understand. Luckily I have very mature kids.. they found another hotel- Downtown (thought the rule was not under 21 downtown.. hmmm) same rate, much friendlier and helpful. I will not ever stay here.. Mom's everywhere beware. If you can't help some kids on their first road trip to see their favorite team play the home team... how heartless can you be. In this economy there are many that will take my money and treat me like a guest and be happy to help.

Room Tip: Try a different Hotel - Red Roof Inn Helped us out
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends