“A well-run and helpful hotel - I had a great stay”

Holiday Inn Columbus Dwtn-Capitol Square
Ranked #63 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Haifa, Israel
“A well-run and helpful hotel - I had a great stay”
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I stayed for three nights at the Holiday Inn, downtown Columbus in October 2007. The hotel is as expected - standard kind of rooms, the beds were comfortable and I got a good rate online. However, it's the extra touches which made this a very pleasant stay for me. The staff could not have been more cheerful, considerate and helpful, even when I repeatedly needed to be let into my room because I'd left the key inside. The free wireless internet, fresh coffee in the lobby and free business facilities including printing (which saved my conference paper!) were all very helpful touches.

Despite numerous signs apologising for any disturbance because of the work being done to the hotel, I never saw or heard anything of this.

I recommend this hotel warmly.

• Liked — The wonderful, warm, friendly and helpful staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Major renovation/construction a serious issue. Fair location. New heat/AC unit not yet hooked up. One major positive: James, the shuttle driver took my buddies and I to the Columbus Crew game right to the entrance and was there waiting when the game got over. On the way back we asked for recommendations of where to go for drinks and bar hopping and he even took us there! Families and anyone not willing to put up with some hassles would be disappointed, at least until the construction is completed.

• Liked — Shuttle service was excellent
  • Disliked — Construction issues
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Northern VA
Reviewed May 13, 2007

This hotel was the worst experience we'd had in a long time. We stayed there in March with a group and some people in our group walked in and walked right back out. Some rooms AC didn't work, the hallways were damp and dirty. The front desk promsied a handful of our most problematic rooms to be "comped" but it never happened. Don't expect anyone to care or call you back they just want you to go away and be happy after stealing your money!

• Liked — price, but i really regret that
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank kjgmsu
Ohio
Reviewed May 2, 2007

The pictures you see online are not this hotel - maybe at one time - but with constant construction this is no longer the case. There is no lobby - there is no bar - there is a restaurant at certain hours, but there is no dedicated staff to it. The in-room movie was filled with static and who needs a wake-up call when they start drilling at 7:30am? I've never had such a bad experience at a hotel.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Being woken up at 7:30am by construction noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed April 18, 2007

I choose a 2 star hotel on priceline for $40 in downtown Columbus, the Holiday Inn City Center accepted my price and was ranked at a 2.5 star.

From outside the hotel looked like it was closed. Seriously, very heavy construction and renovation is going on. The floors were dirty,
there was dust everywhere...it was scary. I told the girl I needed a clean, quiet room that was far away from construction noises.

I was given a room on the 11th floor where renovation was complete. The carpet, wallpaper and many of the furnishings were all new. The bed and coverings looked a bit old...I hate it when hotels upgrade everything except what you sleep on. It just doesn't make any sense.

The bathroom's weren't renovated at all. Old tubs, old sinks, old walls... fresh paint.

For $40 you can't beat it, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

• Liked — Price.
  • Disliked — The dirty, construction condition.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
dallas
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I booked the hotel through the priorty club. I normally frequent Crown Plaza but with the convention that was in town, this hotel was the only one left when i booked my trip in January 2007. The now post that the hotel is under renovations but they didnt in January. There is no lobby. The drive up to a hotel that looks more like its condemend than open for business. I was thoroughly upset. The headboard fell of the wall. The first room I was assigned was still under renovations. The even tried to run a preauthorization through on my debit card four days after I checked out.

Stayed March 2007
cleveland
Reviewed January 13, 2007

Where do I begin. We are definitely not picky travelers but this hotel took us to our limits. First, upon entering the hotel we were greeted with a long line and a forty minute wait to simply check in to our room. Once inside the room, there were no towels and the bed was lacking a blanket of all things! The room was dark, there were stains everywhere (especially in the hallways), and it looked like one of the lamp shades may have caught fire at one time. Our view consisted of garbage that was thrown on the roof. The next morning we woke to a church service across our hall that was extremely loud. To top it off, we each had to take a shower without hot water. When checking out, we discovered that we were not the only ones who had issues with the hotel. When one man complained about the cold showers, the attendant said, "that seems to always happen when we have a full house." Run, don't walk away from the Holiday inn- city center in Columbus. Spend your money wisely and go anwyhere else!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there