“Major Mistake” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Columbus
“Major Mistake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked this room online, figuring the mixed reviews were just too picky. I travel a bit, but do not ask for much when I stay on the road or when I take a weekend away with my girlfriend. I called ahead to make sure our room was ready, was told I could upgrade for $20 to a room with a microwave and refrigerator. Most hotels these days offers those automatically in all rooms, I told him no thanks over the phone, but once we arrived I changed my mind at the desk after he stated they are larger rooms, sit on a higher floor that maintains a quiet time after 10PM so I went ahead and upgraded. If this was an upgrade, I would hate to see the room I would've first been placed in. Upon immediately entering the room, you could see outside due to the placement of the AC unit in the wall. The windows were covered in some kind of disgusting film. This was honestly one of the worst stays I've ever had while traveling. I do not understand how they continued to get business while we were there. The bed was most definitely not comfortable, they offer a "sleep" package in each room, well we must have gotten a room they skipped because we had none of the listed items in our room. The bathroom had to be cleaned by us as well. Would be very hard for me to stay at this location again. This is a dated review, as I just joined TripAdvisor. They stay was within the past year.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wade H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Wade H,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sparing your very valuable time to submit a detailed feedback of your experience during your stay with us.

We are saddened to hear of your encounters in our hotel and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction caused by the room condition. We regret that your experience with us was not ideal and we are sorry for the lapse in service during your stay.

It is only through valuable feedback we receive from our valued customers that we would be in a position to know where we go wrong and rectify the circumstances or incidents, in order to ensure that we do not repeat the same in the future. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Troy, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We came to the Columbus area with our small children to visit COSI and the Columbus Zoo. I found this hotel on Hotwire as an affordable 3 star hotel. Overall the experience was average. The staff was nice. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The hallway on the third floor had a unsavory odor every time we traveled through it. Pool area was large but dated. The hotel was grand in its day but the lobby is in need of an update.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Izzyryancool,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm happy to hear that you found our staff helpful and comfortable rooms. I am sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant stay with us due to the unusual smell encountered and poor condition of the lobby. Your comments have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Again, we appreciate your feedback.

Zelyn N
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights when we were visiting family in the area. We were able to book the hotel via Priceline and it made it a very good deal. Without the $58 price I don't think I'd have been happy.

The rooms are remodeled and comfortable, but as others have said the air conditioners are LOUD. So loud that we couldn't hear our normal level tv when the air conditioner would kick on. Doors to the hallway have large cracks and everything can be heard in the hallway. Bathrooms seemed kind of dirty around the tiles behind the toilet, caulking around the shower, etc.

Regarding housekeeping: Our room wasn't cleaned until late in the day (4PM ish) which surprised me. We did ask for more pillows on the first night we were there and they were promptly delivered.

The gym was updated and quite nice. There is also a nice jogging path in the back of the property that we used that was a nice place to exercise.

There is a Giant Eagle (grocery store) that's a quick drive (less than a mile) that the hotel can give you directions to. It was nice to get lunch items there.

Overall it was fine for Priceline but I just wasn't overly impressed with that was supposed to be 3.5 stars that Priceline claims. I'd rate it 3 stars at best.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MissMarried
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments and for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. I was very happy to hear that you found the hotel comfortable as we recently completed a large renovation of the hotel and all guest rooms. I did want to apologize for the issues with your air conditioner as well as Housekeeping not cleaning your room until later in the day. I will make sure your concerns are addressed with the department heads and use your comments to help us suceed in our goal of providing a great stay to all of our guests.

Steve
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I originally booked four nights but had to cut my stay short because of the room. The bed was horrible - the springs creaked and the mattress sagged. The room we got on the third floor had loud freeway sounds. The comforter was stained. Internet is not part of the room rate and is charged additionally - though IMO that is not really a bad thing since many hotels with free internet tend to have slow internet. The TV in the room was fairly small. There was no minifridge provided in the room. The hallways smell bad, and there was a weird smell in our bathroom. The service was excellent though - they cancelled the remaining nights of our reservation without much fuss!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear joshchang,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review. We appreciate the compliments on our staff service. We strive to provide impeccable customer service and accommodations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any difficulties that you may have encountered during your stay with us particularly with the room accommodations and amenities received. Your comments are important to us to ensure we are constantly focused on improving our service and we hope we can demonstrate to you our commitment to value and service.

Again, we are grateful for your valuable feedback. Shall your travels bring you to the area again we hope for the opportunity to provide you a quality stay with us all around.

Zelyn N
Hooper, UT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was in town for some business work and the Crowne Plaza was just in the per diem rate I was allowed as a Gov employee. I was impressed with the bathroom and overall cleanliness of the room which was outstanding, however there was an odd smell in the hallway next to the door of my room. For those interested I stayed in room 316. According to my itinerary from DTS I was to have free internet for a FEDROOM in which the gal at the front desk had to investigate and eventually gave me the pass code. For all GOV employees considering this hotel they will not honor the tax exemption form your command gives you to give to them without a tax ID number. Pretty ridiculous because the room was booked on Defense Travel Site and they even had the invoice with FEDROOM on it and I payed with the Government Travel Card! For this reason alone I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the remolded rooms and you will be happier.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Jeffery671,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered during your stay with us. We deeply regret that your stay with us was not what you expected. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Dhan M
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The location is good. Easy to get into and out of. Food in onsite restaurant wasn't quality at all. Bar tender was great at onsite bar. Prices were a little high but we didn't have to drive. Hotel website says newly remodeled. Well only 1/2 of the campus is remodeled the rest is vintage at best. Old, worn, smelly and dirty. The bar tender told us what they remodeled was done well and we agree but they ran out of money 1/2 way through. Our room and side had not been remodeled. Only had 4 small pillows on a king size bed. My wife needs 4 pillows minimum. LOL. I have enclosed pics of the door facing where you can see no finish on end, and the door had been jimmed to get in. The bathroom black mold, the water damage in the main room, a wall where they wall papered over the holes without fixing. When we got into the room 5 out of 8 light bulbs were out. Had to call maint man to come fix so we could read anything.
We felt safe at all times. I'm sure this could be a great property and it looks like they are trying. We would stay here again but I would ask for a remodeled room. We just expected a Crowne Plaza to be more upscale than a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express and it wasn't.

Room Tip: ask for a remodeled room. Mon/Tue are MEP's days for kids going in military
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear golfnfire26,

Krysllin G.
Loveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed here for a week. We booked it from Hotwire. we were happy with deal but when we went there we learned that internet is not free ($8 per day). But Lady was courteous to provide . We requested for Fridge that was also $10 per day. Adding all those charges, it was same as original price of room. another problem is if we book it from third party (Hot wire) you don get rewards. which was fine but something to keep in mind.
Also staying there for week was difficult, Rooms are not big enough to stay. Also they have only one microwave (Near reception) So running down to heat something is not convenient. that makes it difficult for long term. (Even week)
House keeper didn't even bother to change towels, we had to ask to do that.
Location is isolated. nearest coffee is also 2 miles away. It is time consuming driving around for lunch / dinner.

I don't think we will go back.

Room Tip: Choose room which is not facing highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Mandar D,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. he feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G