“excellent service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #90 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Waterford, Connecticut
“excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We ended up at this hotel after bidding on Priceline. So we got a good deal and I can't complain. The entire staff offered fantastic service. The facility was lovely. However, in our circumstance as weary road travelers I would not have chosen this hotel. It is set up for business and conventions. No fridge, no tea, no internet in the room ( cost and extra $8.95 a night-crazy!) and no breakfast included. However, the pool area was very nice with a swim through for indoors to outdoors and the breakfast buffet though not free was good.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face the freeway so are noisier.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve P, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus North. I appreciate your wonderful comments about the fantastic service your experienced. We recently completed a renovation of the hotel and are very pleased you enjoyed the facility as well!

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Tallmadge, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We asked for a room on the top floor, not facing the highway and got it, even though we paid only $43 thru bidding on Priceline. Super bargain!! Granted internet was NOT free and no breakfast was included. The only negatives regarding the premise is that although the room was updated and clean, they forgot to replace the bathroom door. The veneer was peeling on the interior bottom. Also, there was a non-main exit/entrance we used that was not cleaned; looked like it wasn't cleaned for months. There were not many restaurants around except for a short drive to a Bob Evans or a McDonald's or Wendy's. The Worthington Farmers Market did not disappoint either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Recently stayed here for a night, the stay was good. Room was nice and the bed was comfortable. Room service when required was quick. The only downside was the location of hotel -- guess its in the middle of a industrial area though didn bother to check out. Need a lot driving around to do good dining or shopping. Rooms on the side of the road might not be a good choice for a quiet sleeper. Overall, We got a comfortable stay at this hotel. Its a full service hotel so breakfast is not free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Saju84,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you appreciate the room you had and the service you received. We apologize for the inconvenience you had with our location. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. Despite your disappointment we do hope you will stay with us again when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
Twinsburg, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have stayed here in the past and really liked it. This time we were put on the second floor and on both sides of the room there were flimsy wooden doors used to adjoin the rooms if necessary. We could hear every word the other guests said which I assume they could hear us as well. VERY AWKWARD to say the least.

My husband decided we are never going to use this particular hotel again. He did not like the fact that there was no refrigerator, you had to pay for Internet service, no TEA to be found (I suppose they want you to use their restaurant but who wants to get dressed to get a cup of tea?), you couldn't get snacks if there were people checking in because it was set up like a little store and you would have to stand around forever, the air conditioner was soooooo very loud (which we like to use as background noise however the fan did not run all the time so every time it came on it woke you up & you had to adjust the TV sound every 5 minutes), and .........

I want to mention that we are NOT that picky but the list added up. The bedding and decor were very nice but there was a stain on the carpeting at the door entrance that made it fell unclean. There was also a tear in the curtains where you go to close and open them. It felt to me that they were trying to do a good job but didn't follow through. The bathroom was newer but inside the tub they left the old liner which just looked bad. No towel rack except in front of the sink so if you were doing you makeup you were leaning on a wet towel. Bathroom way smaller than competitors.

We love the location but one exit up in Polaris there are a lot of hotels which we will be checking out. I hate giving a negative review but I feel I must tell the truth. I was also very disappointed that after reading other negative reviews that the hotel gave the same exact response over and over.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear love2traveltoo_11,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the condition of our facilities and the service you received. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen C
Parkersburg, West Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Rooms were really nice, service was excellent and pricing was good. Loved the pool area, it had a nice in door pool that opened up through the glass wall into the pool in the outside court yard. The room service food was good too. We had the hot wings and the pizza. The only wee little negative thing was the restaurant ran out of tea and had to make a double trip up to the room to give us plates and forks to eat with. Plus we were charged a 20% gratuity fee on top of the bill. Even though we tipped the room service person.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza because we received a vendor rate for the show in which we were exhibitors. The hotel was easy to find and on the outside looked very nice. When we arrived at the front desk, we were fourth in line to check in and there was only one desk clerk. She spent an inordinate amount of time reviewing restaurants with one of the guests and while I would want the same service for me, I would have expected her to call more desk clerks up to help and there were two additional ones that came out from the back after all of us were checked in.

The room we had was up on the 8th floor (of 9) and quite a ways from the elevator, which was exactly what we wanted. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. We ordered room service right after we arrived and that seemed to be a bit of a chore. We saw an ad at the front desk for pizza and I asked during check in how late room service was available and if I could get the pizzas. Those seemed to be very difficult questions for the staff but they finally determined I could still do it for another 25 minutes. I called room service and had a very difficult time finding out what type of pizza I could order - a lot of "can't have this with that, that comes only with this sauce,etc"; all too complex for a simple room service order. However, we finally got it ordered and it was delivered in about 20 minutes by a very friendly staff member.

The next night (Friday), we went down to the lobby bar. It was nice that they had a bar onsite but service was a bit slow even though they didn't seem that busy. We went back to it on Saturday night (captive audience) and service was horrible with only 4-5 people sitting at the bar. It took forever to get the bartender's attention. When my wife and sister-in-law showed up, my sister-in-law doesn't drink and asked for a glass of milk. the bartender said it would be a minute on the milk. 30 minutes later, we told her to skip it and left. Very, very slow service and the staff had a very indifferent attitude toward the guests.

We received a discounted price on the room so I really can't speak to the value for the dollar spent. Would I stay here again? If I had the same situation for business and the same discounted rate, I probably would but would go elsewhere for food and drink. For me, service goes a long way to making a stay enjoyable and this hotel didn't make service a consistent priority.

Room Tip: High floors were very quiet. 832 & 831 were very nice rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear reiddg,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the service you received from our staff. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have one complaint, but it's pretty big. I will start off with an overall impression, though.

Quiet location. Not right off the highway, but pretty easy to get to. It's more of a business and conference type hotel. I bet they hold wedding parties, conferences, etc.

I was greeted and treated very nicely at the front desk. I was told that Wi-Fi was $8 more, and asked if I wanted to add it. Also, WiFi was free in the lobby, if I chose that route.

Hallway on second floor had an odd smell. Not horrible, but not fresh. I kept thinking some of that carpet powder and a vacuum would help. Might just be old carpet that needs replacing.

Inside the room was nice overall. The alarm clock has a "CD Player" option. Time to upgrade. I've been seeing Ipod/Iphone docks for years at other hotels.

Bedding, towels, overall look was nice.

And then the horror came in. I first saw the duct on the bathroom. And it was covered in dust. Like it was caked on dust that probably hadn't been touched in months. And the problem with it being in the duct, was that it was to be blown all over the place, if I turned on the fan in the bathroom. Luckily, I did not. I saw the dust before I had the chance.

Not the air conditioner was the same. The air conditioner looked to be about 30 years old. Really old knobs. Which is fine, but it was dirty as well. The knobs, the casing and the slots were dirty and dusty. And that means the dust is being blown around the room. Just disgusting. Also, where the knobs sat was the longest hair I have ever seen.

Now, Crowne Plaza. You are soooo close to being a good hotel. Just just using a vacuum and cleaning the vents. I would not stay there again because I am thinking that I saw the two vents, but what else in the room hadn't been cleaned in ages?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Christopher S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Christopher S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Please accept our sincere apology for the unusual conditions of the room you received. I want to assure you that your experience is not indicative of the quality we are known to provide in our guest rooms.

Our housekeeping staff strive to ensure our rooms are well kept and held to the highest standard. Nevertheless, we have shared your comments with the team to ensure the issues you mentioned are addressed.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B