“Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington
Ranked #97 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
“Crowne Plaza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I recently stayed this weekend with a name your own price deal with Priceline. I felt that the value was great. The room was clean, and had updated bedding. The bathroom was fairly small but functional. The hotel itself was nice, but the surrounding area has seen it's better days. I'm guessing prior to the economic meltdown, this area was thriving. There are no restaurants within walking distance besides the on site restaurant, and the hotel sits off the beaten path. Priceline rated this hotel as a 3.5 star, but I would put it at the lower end of 3 stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I'm glad you found everything clean and of good value. Although there are dozens of restaurants conveniently nearby, you are correct about walking distance. We also offer complementary shuttle service to restaurants and other entertainment within a four mile radius and to both nearby Polaris and Easton malls. I hope we see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed here because of collectors show held on-site. Shower head did not work in my room, neither did hair blow dryer... and toilet broke as I was headed home. Back side of hotel abutts highway. My room sounded at times like Indianapolis 500. Rooms could be better sound proofed with some expenditure by owner. Goose pond at back side of property smelled bad and walkway was dotted by droppings. The closet that passes for a gift shop does not even have local newspaper. Employees were friendly and helpful. Appreciated the mini-fridge in room, but all things considered, would take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank stuart r
Thank you for your honesty. Your comments were shared with all concerned.
Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've stayed here several times on business trips to Columbus. It's a little out of the way, but much better than any other hotel in this area.

Lots of business and government travelers stay here.

Staff is always very friendly and efficient. Rooms very comfortable.

On site restaurant is convenient and I usually go there after experiencing the neighborhood restaurants.

Room Tip: You can get a room here on priceline, but you should be careful and bid towards the upper end.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for being a repeat guest and I am glad you enjoy the restaurant. You are correct that rates are on the upswing due to improving demand...but we always try to provide a great value. See you soon.
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was nervous after reading the other reviews, but I thought this hotel was perfectly fine! I got a decent deal on the room on Priceline. I called in advance and asked for a room on a "quiet floor" and for a mini fridge. I ended up on the top floor and it was nice and quite. My room had what seemed like a brand new dresser, flat screen tv, and a fridge. The bed was comfy and there was a nice desk. The only negative I would say is that the tub floor seemed stained. It was clean, the floor was just a little discolored with age. I did end up in a room facing the highway and other reviewers are right that you can hear the traffic. But I wore some earplugs and was fine. I didn't get to the hotel restaurant, but I did use the computer downstairs a few times to look up stuff on the internet, check-in for my flights etc. The 2 computers were very fast and easy to use. The hotel was convenient to the Worthington area, which is where I was going and I would stay here again if I was ever in the area. Another nice feature was the clip on the curtains. It allowed you to clip the curtains together and really help keep the light out if you were trying to sleep in. They also had one of those "clean remotes" I have seen at a couple hotels lately that allow the staff to easily wipe them clean, so hopefully they are cleaner than remotes at other hotels.

Room Tip: Get a room NOT facing the highway so it will be quieter. If you don't want to be on a floor with...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. You really seem to notice and appreciate the nice little details. I hope we see you on your next trip.
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you have to do business in that part of town, the Crown Plaza is a convenient, reasonably priced hotel, but plug the address into your GPS, as it is buried behind several office buildings and not on a main road. And if you want to eat out, you'll definitely not be walking, as there is really no retail or dining close.

Staff were uniformly helpful and the facilities generally clean.

Whenever I'm at a hotel that requires your room key to operate the elevator, I think high crime area. Not sure whether it is or not, but I don't like the annoyance of fishing for my room key every time I'm on the elevator.

Rooms are adequate and seemed quiet. The air conditioning unit struggled mightily to keep my room cool during the hot, humid weather Columbus was experiencing. Never really got the room cool, but more aggravating was the fact that the On/Off/Auto switch for the AC fan was stuck in auto. If you are like me, a noisy AC unit running continuously is more tolerable than one that is cycling on and off throughout the night.

The lounge was small, but a nice place to kick back. Nice bartender who gave a generous pour.

The restaurant for breakfast was light and airy and the breakfast buffet offered lots of choices, including an omelet and waffle bar.

No major complaints but nothing to really distinguish the Crowne Plaza either.

Room Tip: If you retire early, you won't want a poolside room as the crowd there can be pretty noisy until...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Your observation that our location is in a convenient part of town but not within walking distance to things is well said. There are very few points of interest in Central Ohio that are not within a few minutes of our door, but our office park location limits the immediate accessibility. For that reason we do offer complimentary shuttle service to area malls, businesses, restaurants, and entertainment. I can see how the elevator keys can take some time to get used to, but they do help cut down on the noise by limiting floor traffic to guests from that part of the hotel. I'm glad you found the staff nice and the facilities clean....and I will be talking to that bartender about his 'generosity'.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Room was very dirty. Dust in the curtains, around the tv, etc. and I found an unused sanitary napkin from another guest in the drawer. Facilities ok but pool sides were so dirty that people had scratched their names in the grime on the tiles on the sides. Yuk. Checked for bedbugs. Found none but other guests have reported them. Don't stay here! Front desk never asked about our stay when I checked out.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank 1234567890000000
Daniel O, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay...my team and I will be following up on each of your observations to ensure that this experience is not repeated.
Charleston, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We got this hotel for a pretty good price on Priceline. The hotel wasn't terrible, we were only there one night but the staff was friendly and the room was clean enough. My main issue with this property is it's 3 1/2* rating on Priceline. No way is this hotel anywhere close to even being a 2 1/2* in my opinion. One of the elevators wasn't working, however when myself and another hotel guest attempted to inform the staff, they were insistent that we needed to simply enter our keys to get it to move. True, this is the case for floors 7 & up but didn't apply to us. The hotel was full so this was a bit annoying. It was okay for one night but I wouldn't want to stay longer than that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank seekimshop
Thank you for your posting and for noting the friendly staff and clean facilities. We do have plans to update various aspects of the hotel in the coming months which should address your concerns. Regarding the elevator, I apologize if my staff did not explain things completely...key cards are required to access all floors (above the first). I will review our instructions and signage to make sure this is as clear as possible to avoid any delays in accessing the floors. Thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
Sheraton Suites Columbus
Holiday Inn Columbus N - I-270 Worthington
Hyatt Place Columbus/Worthington
Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington
Courtyard Columbus Worthington

Been to Crowne Plaza Columbus North-Worthington? Share your experiences!