“Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Columbia, SC
“Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed April 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Columbus Ohio April 15 - 20, 2007. I was attending a conference held there.

The hotel was easy to get to by following the directions. It is downtown and easy distance to German Town and other sites. There is a Crowne Plaza next door (Max and Erma's restaurant, good) and a Drury Suites. All are connected by enclosed walkways.

Parking at the hotel is by valet only, for $21.00 per day, unlimited in and out privileges. Or, you can park at the Chestnut St. garage for $12.00 per day, charge it to your room, unlimited in and out privileges. It is about an 8 minute walk from the garage back to the hotel, by enclosed walkways. They can be confusing until you get used to where you are going. They are also connected to office buildings.

You are within walking distance of the arena area and restaurants, bars, hockey, etc.

The hotel is connected to the convention center which has a food court, was only open until about 2:00 p.m. daily: Subway, Chinese food place, pizza place, hamburger/hotdog place, and a few others, all were "no name" except Subway (unless they are known only in Ohio area??). Some take Credit cards, some don't. A few shops in there, but looked like most had closed.

Restaurants in hotel, we did not eat in any. Only got sandwiches from the deli store, which were good. I did eat the hotel food catered for meals with the conference and it was good, not exceptional, but very good.

We had reserved a King room but one was not available when we checked in. We were given 2 doubles, they do not have queens. When you're used to at least a Queen sized bed, the doubles are just too small. They were pillow top, but they used flat sheets instead of fitted on the bottom, which pulled away from the bed immediately. They also had pads under the sheets which balled up, etc. and were uncomfortable, as was the loose bottom sheet.

The staff at the front desk were very friendly and easy to work with. Upon check-out, there was an error on my bill and they corrected it immediately (charged me for valet as opposed to Chestnut St. parking), no problems.

There was a coffee maker in room, hairdryer, iron and board, alarm clock with Ipod and MP3 player capabilities/docking, TV, 2 phones, wireless access (extra charge), desk and chair, chair and ottoman. Ice and soda machines are located at the elevators. We never heard any noise form the rooms next to us. Sound was never an issue at this hotel.

They do use the curved shower curtain rods in the bathroom, which are nice.

This is an older, renovated hotel. There are over 600 guest rooms, but only 4 elevators, enough said. If there is a conference, etc., going on, you're going to wait, and wait, and wait! I'd advise asking for a lower floor so you can take the stairs. There are flat screen TV's located at each elevator, but they are set on CNN and constantly seeing the VA TECH news was depressing.

There is an indoor pool and fitness room, we did not use those.

There is a small business center near registration desk with computers, fax/copier and printers. They do charge for everything and you must use a credit card. There is an ATM machine in the lobby, $3.25 charge on their end.

Taxis are always lined up outside the hotel, so no problem catching one of those if needed.

Overall, a very nice hotel. Our only complaints were the double beds and bedding used, not comfortable for us personally. Good location downtown and High Street is the main drag through Columbus, Ride toward the arena district and further and there are a number of eating establishments for all budgets.

• Liked — noise level - no noise, location, access to variety of food options, friendly staff
  • Disliked — the bedding and bed size
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank bingo3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2007

My son's wedding guest and family stayed at the hotel for 1-2 days. We were late for the rehearsal at the church because after walking down 15 flights of stairs and then waiting 50 minutes for our car, we ending up taking a cab to the church! We had to shuttle our guest
to the reception because they were stranded at the hotel waiting for their cars. Many of our guest took cabs there so once again my husband and his brother shuttled them back to the hotel. It was upsetting to me that my husband had to keep leaving the reception for this problem and then had a nightmare with the rooms! The elevator time was unbelievably slow. We waited 30 minutes at times! Four elevators for such a large hotel? We chose this hotel because I stayed there in the past for union business and had no problem. But one of the most important times of my life and certainly the most important for my son and his new bride has left us with a very bad taste for any Hyatt in the future. When we booked the hotel rooms we were told the bride and groom would recieve chocolate-covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne~this didn't hapen. I did, however, find out last night that they were taken to a different room entirely. Your rooms were pricey----we knew that. We just expected much better for such an important time tin our lives. Your hotel staff and the restaurant we very gracious and very apologetic and I'm sure each of the valet attendance did the very best the could have done. May I suggest in the future when they are over-loaded perhaps you could direct the valet parkers to the back of the hotel parking area for pick-up?

• Liked — the beds were very comfortable!
  • Disliked — no complimentary breakfast--so why only one little pot of coffee in the room, with only enough creamers for one cup?
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank bobbiemeredith
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My family and I stayed here for two nights while my son participated in an event at the convention center. We booked the hotel because it is connected to the convention center but in retrospect, unless the weather is bad (and it was beautiful), the fact the hotel is connected doesn't really matter. We paid almost $150 per night, even with a group rate, and I am not convinced we got the best value for our money. We had booked a king room and requested a rollaway bed and instead were given a room with two double beds. Not horrible, but not what we requested (months in advance). Our biggest complaint is that the weather was warm while we were there and our room on the 9th floor got warm as well. The temperature in the room reached 85 degrees at 11pm before we finally called down to the front desk to ask if someone could please come look at our thermostat because it wasn't cooling our room off after many hours. They assured us that an "engineer" would come to help, but no one ever came. Additionally, the hotel pool is very small and my son was very disappointed because it was SO full of kids that it was almost unswimmable. Those are the negatives.
On the positive side, we ordered room-service breakfast one morning and it was delicious--pricey, of course, but delicious. Very pleasant service. Would I stay here again? Probably not. We noticed a very nice Hampton Inn around the corner that I am certain is probably cheaper and gets excellent reviews on this site :-)

• Liked — Proximity to convention center
  • Disliked — Problems with temperature control in the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank kauaibride
Toronto
Reviewed March 10, 2007

Typical Hyatt! Great location with the Arena, convention center and food court nearby, right in the heart of downtown Columbus.

Only complaints was a very slow elevator (I was on the 10th floor and sometimes it was faster to walk down to lobby rather than wait for elevator) and horribly stained chair inside the room.

I wpuld recomend this hotel to others!

• Stayed April 2007
2 Thank Mike1111
Scottsville, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2007

Stayed for 4 nights while two conventions were going on. Arrived at 11 pm on a dark, rainy night and had great difficulty figuring out how to get into the hotel (you can do a legal U-turn if coming from the direction we were.) This is not their fault, but just be aware that it's the situation.

Our room had been booked through our local fencing club (my son was in a tournament) and I asked at check-in to have it transferred to my credit card and also to our Hyatt Gold number, and I gave the clerk a piece of paper with the number written on it to do so. When the bill was put under the door for checkout, the number wasn't on it, so I had to go get it added. No big deal, but it should already have been done. Neither did this bill have the valet parking charge on it, necessitating another question at the desk. Apparently the checkin clerk should have stamped our valet ticket, we learned. This was the pattern...no major problems, but a few things that should not happen in a hotel of this nature.

Other minor problems: housekeeping forgot to clean the coffee pot one day (but didn't forget to leave a new package of coffee); service at the Market Cafe was very slow (it took my sister-in-law over 5 minutes to get a cup of coffee to go even though there was only one other person there; we couldn't even get seated at the hotel restaurant the first day, although there seemed to be quite a few empty tables (we gave up waiting for the host to get off the phone and ate across the street). The heating system seemed very erratic; our room was 77 degrees when we got in, so we cooled it off, but I thought it was odd it had been left set so hot. The hallway the next morning was freezing, and the following morning was baking hot. Again, no big deal, but go figure.

On the plus side, the staff was uniformly pleasant and professional, as I have generally found to be the case at Hyatts. The room was very clean and nicely appointed, although clearly "of a certain age." A good selection of toiletries was provided. I personally didn't care for the "ginger" scent they had, but it was something out of the ordinary. No refrigerator.

My son realized when we were ready to leave the tournament that he had lost his winter jacket. He thought he must have left it either at the restaurant or in his room. We checked with Lost & Found, but they didn't have it. The front desk said the room hadn't been cleaned yet and he could still use his keycard to go see if it was there. When he got upstairs, he found it HAD been cleaned, so all we could do was fill out a Lost & Found report with its description and our contact information. This was on Monday; on Wednesday morning, I got a call at home that they had found the jacket and would send it to me via DHL if I provided my credit card number. I was very pleased! I didn't request overnight service, but did expect it would go out that day. When we didn't receive it by today (Monday a week after we checked out), and there was still no charge from DHL on my credit card, I called the manager at the number provided on the receipt to follow up. He was most courteous and called me back to let me know it went out today. No explanation of why there was a holdup in sending it, though.

Valet parking was another $21/night; if we hadn't arrived so late and had been able to figure out how to get to the Chestnut St. garage, we would have parked there for $12/night, also billable to the room. Valet service was prompt both times we requested the car.

Certainly an excellent choice if you have a function at the Convention Center. Plenty of dining within walking distance, and walkable to Short North shopping. We had a convention rate of $115, and had it not been for the minor hiccups, I would have rated it Excellent at this rate.

Stayed January 2007
2 Thank Bama77
New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2007

The staff at this hotel go out of their way to make guests feel welcome and well cared for. The hotel, located adjacent to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, appears to be an older hotel that has been updated and well maintained.

The only negative for this hotel is the food. The menu items sound great but the execution was disappointing. However, there is a food court between the hotel and the Convention Center that has an excellent selection of food and a well priced breakfast option (great omlettes and pancakes).

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Often_on_road
canton, ohio
Reviewed January 12, 2007

My family and 5 of my son's friends recently stayed at the Hyatt for an convention from 1-5 to 1-7. I had made reservations 6 mos in advance. Everything from the time we arrived went smoothly. From the nice man who was the parking to the young woman who had us registered within a few minutes. We were taken to our room via the service elevator accompanied by the bellman. When he went to leave our room he left us his card and let us know if there was anything we needed just to give him a call. The room was large with 2 large double beds and our second room was adjoining just as we requested. The room was tastefully decorated in neutral tones. Unfortunately, later that evening I had to go to the emergency room due to a reaction to a spider bite that i had recieved prior to leaving for the convention. The hotel not only got me a cab, but paid for cab fair to and from the site. The beds were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in at a hotel. Room service was available, but we never used it. The following morning, I recieved a call from the front desk to make sure I was all right from the trip to ER the following night and provided me with information on local pharmacies. We mostly ate at the food court during our stay except for my husband had a snack at the Big Bar on 2. Food great, service great and prices were reasonable. We declined the room service for the weekend, because there was just too stuff out for the con. My husband used the pool, and although it was nothing special it served it's purpose. We arranged for late check out at 2 on Sunday. Check out went as smoothly as check in. It seemed like the whole convention waited to do late check out. There was approximately a 30 minute wait for our car. All the staff we encountered that weekend was very friendly and willing to help us with every need. The only negative comment I can make about the facility is that there's 20 floors and only 4 elevators. Wait time for an elevator was quite long at times.

• Liked — friendly staff that went above and beyond, very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — slow elevators--but was booked full for an on-site convention
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business