“The hotel was out of control- The worstT!”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I went for a convention and ended up in a riot! This hotel alllowed a rap radio station take over the hotel! By the end of the night, the police had to be called and the entire resort was a mess. The place was destroyed and the hotel had no way of providing safety for the guest. No sleep, no security, and the only way we had to stay safe was to baracade ourself in our rooms. To this day, I did not recieve even a apology from the managment.
do yourself a favor, Find a SAFE place to stay

Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank partyanimaltvl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,010)

Reviewed November 3, 2009

I thought this place was great. They did not charge for wireless internet. Service was terrific. Staff was great. Room was great. Seriously, one of the best hotel stays I ever had.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I was happy with the hotel, but having to pay for wireless internet left a bad taste in my mouth. I walked to the nearest STARBUCKS as a matter of principal.
Parking is $10 per night.

Lots of nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I was there for a recent convention but was throughly and very disappointed. But being fair, I have listed what was GOOD compared to what was "BAD":
GOOD: :
1) Staff was very polite and freindly.
2) Great location right downtown near the arena, theatres, restaurants, and the convention centre.
3) Great view (at least from my room).
4) Convenient bar, and fast food eateries on the concourse.
5) Nice meeting room facilities (though I cant comment on the excercise/pool and I did not use them).
6) Valet service was excellent.
AND NOW FOR THE BAD:
1) Valet parking only (need to park next door in covered garage if you want cheaper parking).
2) Elevators are very slow and only 4 of them.
3) Some days, there was no newspaper at the door.
4) My bed was awful. It was uneven like a heavy person slept on it. Luckily I have a strong back!
5) REAL BAD: my bed was not made up properly (loose sheets), the first night and I had the soiled pillow cases from the previous guest that was not changed (believe me, I work with homeless and this does not bother me, but for what I paid I thought this is really bad).
6) REAL BAD: Our room was not "refreshed" the next day (garbage not dumped, towels not changed, nothing wiped). There were no signs in room indicating that they change sheets only every 3 days - which is good environmentally, but at least tell me!!! I had to phone room service to get new towels and have them at least wipe the place!
7) They don't slip your checkout receipt under your door like most hotels do now, necessitating a visit back down to front desk when you check out (they have a computer there for you to "express check out").
8) The baggage valet person taking our luggage out was not competent and seemed like she wanted a new job! We told her that there were some fragile boxes on the cart and she still put heavy opbjects on them and baged to into walls as she blindly took our luggage down on the luggae cart!!! I had to physically move in and offer to push the cart myself!
9) Price was OK ($140 convention rate), but the service really showed me that this price was way too high (got better service at the RED ROOF INN in Boston last year)!

OVERALL - I would never never stay there again - period! Other Hyatts are way better.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank kagero43
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel was crowded with several events going on at the same time. Check-in took a while and it was evident some of the staff felt overwhelmed. The rooms were nice with a great view of downtown. When we got to our room, there were no towels, and it took a while to get them to our room. There was no free internet service, which for a business hotel is very odd, and hopefully will be corrected soon. The hallways were loud, but there was a staff person who came up and controlled the situation in a timely manner. Comfort seemed to be a priority for the staff.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a convention a few weeks ago. This was a youth convention--and there were a TON of youth in town and many of them were staying at this Hyatt. I was an adult traveling with four other adults and 12 teenagers.

Positives:
If you're attending a convention at the Columbus convention center then this is a great location! It's still a little walk to the convention center but is handy for when the weather is poor. Also, there are many great restaurants and bars within a very short walk of the hotel. There is even a food court attached to the hotel for when you need a quick bite to eat. (Although, do not try to find a drugstore that's open after 8:00 p.m.! And the drugstore that is "near" by is about 10 or 12 blocks away.) Also, within a short walk is the very fun North Market with all kinds of interesting food vendors and grocers. It's worth a visit.

Negatives:
I REALLY try to write positive reviews. (You can check my other reviews.) I'm not picky. I don't care that this hotel was a little dated, or that the pool was tiny, or that the bathrooms were small - all of those things can be made up in other ways. However I was so disappointed with this hotel on several levels.

First of all, the elevators. There are only four elevators to service this hotel. I'm sure this is not an issue if there isn't a convention in town. But with the convention happening, there were LONG waits for the elevators, it was difficult to get on one and when you did it was extremely crowded. We took the stairs when going down as much as possible.

The real issue we had was with the rooms. I understand that this was a youth convention and many people think they can get away with lower standards for teenagers. But we were paying good money for the rooms and I expect for the youth to be treated the same as other customers. Upon checking in, which was not late or even in the heart of the check-in rush, we had some problems.

Our leader booked four rooms with two double beds in each. When we arrived to our rooms we found one room had apparently already been checked into. The boys found a suitcase and a Macbook in "their" room. Had somebody dishonest walked into that room, someone's belongings and expensive computer could have been stolen.

My group of four women walked into a corner room with one queen bed and a single roll-away bed standing on end that there was no room to lay down. I went down to the front desk and said that we would need a room with two double beds, that we had booked a room with two double beds. I was informed that beds are considered a "preference" and that there were no rooms available like that. I don't know about others, but I consider having a bed to sleep in the main requirement of a hotel. It wasn't like we asked for a king and got a queen - that I can understand as a preference. I expect that when four people have reserved a room that they will all have a bed to sleep in. They told us that they had ordered extra air mattresses for this convention. I'm not staying in my cousin's basement for the week! I'm paying to stay in a hotel and I want the comfortable beds they advertise. They moved us to a non-corner room - still with only one queen bed, and gave us two roll away beds. We had to rearrange all the furniture (remove the desk, push the bed over, etc...) to fit in the roll-aways. (Housekeeping didn't even do it for us.) But, the girls in my room were real troupers and kept a very positive attitude and hauled that furniture around like champs. The hotel did not offer to compensate us. It was only after I said firmly that I would like to be compensated for the hassle that they offered me a discount of 25% per night. I was extremely disappointed at this.

The room of boys (who had been checked into an already occupied room) were also moved to a room with only one bed and were given a queen air mattress. They were also very unhappy.

The other room of men had five people in it. They allowed us to reserve a room for five people but when we called down for an air mattress we were told that they would not give an extra bed to a room that already had two beds in it. They would bring extra bedding if needed. Why did they allow us to check in five people then?

Only one of our rooms had enough beds for all the people.

After coming back from supper, we found a hallway full of teenagers and adults sitting in the hall with their luggage - because none of their room keys worked. Thankfully that did not happen to us.

We also struggled to receive housekeeping all week. To their credit, after making quick phone calls we always received our housekeeping in a speedy fashion.

I understand a convention is probably a crazy time for hotels, and that helped me keep a cool head when dealing with the staff. (And the staff was very nice!) But, they ARE attached to a convention center. Shouldn't they know how to prepare a little better for these kinds of crowds? I would have hated to have been staying there if I was not affiliated with this convention. It would have been a nightmare!

I would give them another chance because I'm sure it's a fine hotel...when there isn't a convention around.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank zoohouse
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I was in Columbus a week ago for work and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Columbus for five nights. First of all, I would recommend avoiding Columbus if you can. I had never been to there before, and was extremely disappointed with the "city". Columbus has been hit really hard with the recession and the city is bare, besides very angry homeless people (one walked up to us saying "I'm not going to rob you" while another yelled expletives at us). Walking around at 9:30PM you will find nobody else is out except you. We also had to deal with uncommonly obnoxious taxi drivers, I mean the worst I've seen anywhere, harassing us for paying with credit card after the concierge told us that all the taxis have to accept them.

The hotel itself has a nice lobby but the rooms and hallways are very dated. Our room was spacious besides the bathroom which was small. Our room was clean for the most part, but incredibly dusty! All surfaces toward the window were covered in dust. No fridge, 10$ a day for internet, and no flat screen TVs was disappointing. The bed was very comfortable. The power did go out one night we were there, which was a little scary, we called the front desk and they said they had no idea what happened. Took about an hour to come back. Beware there is no soundproofing of walls at all! I could hardly get to sleep a couple of nights. I am sure it wouldn't be so bad if there's not a convention going on at the time you are there like there was for us. We could here all the people walking by our room throughout the night.

I ordered room service multiple times while we stayed and it was really hit or miss. First of all, vegetarians beware your choices are limited. The pancakes were served with rotten, I mean wholly brown bananas, the Santa Fe salad was good, but sometimes served with brown avocado or no avocado at all. We ordered a cheese pizza once, looked delicious when it arrived but had pepperoni on it, so had to wait for a new one, which did not looked cooked when it arrived. The worst part of the room service was when a waiter brought in the food, broke a glass of ice water on the desk and spilled all over my things, then said "do you want me to clean it up?"...do you really have to ask?! Glass was all over the floor, water all over everything and he goes "I'll have housecleaning come". Had to wait 45 minutes for someone to come and all they did was sweep the carpet. So if you stay in room 739 beware of glass.

The staff was nice enough, but a lot of the employees behind the front desk looked like they hadn't hit puberty yet. They had a really hard time coming up with any recommendations for where to eat or go out. Some staff were nice, we left our bags on our last day for a couple of hours with the concierge since our plane left late. We were also able to do a late checkout for free.

The gym facility was alright. They provide towels and little cups of water and there's two TVs with remote controls to change the channels. There's three elipticals, a couple of treadmills and two bikes. I tried out two of the elipticals and both were busted. The bikes are nice though. Besides the machines they just have free weights. The pool is tiny.

If you stay here and are looking for places to eat, there's a place called Boston's that we found the last night that's really good, head toward the Arena District and you can't miss it. There's also a Buca di Beppo in the same direction. If you head north of the hotel you'll hit the "Short North" I think it was called, which is more college town like with a lot of bars open late. We liked Betty's.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business