“Wouldn't Return for Business or Leisure.”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
San Francisco, California
“Wouldn't Return for Business or Leisure.”
Reviewed June 14, 2009

I was in Columbus a week ago for work and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Columbus for five nights. First of all, I would recommend avoiding Columbus if you can. I had never been to there before, and was extremely disappointed with the "city". Columbus has been hit really hard with the recession and the city is bare, besides very angry homeless people (one walked up to us saying "I'm not going to rob you" while another yelled expletives at us). Walking around at 9:30PM you will find nobody else is out except you. We also had to deal with uncommonly obnoxious taxi drivers, I mean the worst I've seen anywhere, harassing us for paying with credit card after the concierge told us that all the taxis have to accept them.

The hotel itself has a nice lobby but the rooms and hallways are very dated. Our room was spacious besides the bathroom which was small. Our room was clean for the most part, but incredibly dusty! All surfaces toward the window were covered in dust. No fridge, 10$ a day for internet, and no flat screen TVs was disappointing. The bed was very comfortable. The power did go out one night we were there, which was a little scary, we called the front desk and they said they had no idea what happened. Took about an hour to come back. Beware there is no soundproofing of walls at all! I could hardly get to sleep a couple of nights. I am sure it wouldn't be so bad if there's not a convention going on at the time you are there like there was for us. We could here all the people walking by our room throughout the night.

I ordered room service multiple times while we stayed and it was really hit or miss. First of all, vegetarians beware your choices are limited. The pancakes were served with rotten, I mean wholly brown bananas, the Santa Fe salad was good, but sometimes served with brown avocado or no avocado at all. We ordered a cheese pizza once, looked delicious when it arrived but had pepperoni on it, so had to wait for a new one, which did not looked cooked when it arrived. The worst part of the room service was when a waiter brought in the food, broke a glass of ice water on the desk and spilled all over my things, then said "do you want me to clean it up?"...do you really have to ask?! Glass was all over the floor, water all over everything and he goes "I'll have housecleaning come". Had to wait 45 minutes for someone to come and all they did was sweep the carpet. So if you stay in room 739 beware of glass.

The staff was nice enough, but a lot of the employees behind the front desk looked like they hadn't hit puberty yet. They had a really hard time coming up with any recommendations for where to eat or go out. Some staff were nice, we left our bags on our last day for a couple of hours with the concierge since our plane left late. We were also able to do a late checkout for free.

The gym facility was alright. They provide towels and little cups of water and there's two TVs with remote controls to change the channels. There's three elipticals, a couple of treadmills and two bikes. I tried out two of the elipticals and both were busted. The bikes are nice though. Besides the machines they just have free weights. The pool is tiny.

If you stay here and are looking for places to eat, there's a place called Boston's that we found the last night that's really good, head toward the Arena District and you can't miss it. There's also a Buca di Beppo in the same direction. If you head north of the hotel you'll hit the "Short North" I think it was called, which is more college town like with a lot of bars open late. We liked Betty's.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We went to Columbus to see a concert at Nationwide Arena. Decided to stay here instead of driving back home afterwards. The Hyatt is very close to the Arena as well as many places to eat at the Arena District (also think there were shops in the arena district, but didn't really walk around it much). Only about a 5 minute walk and safety wasn't an issue at all.

Check in was a breeze and the two gentlemen at the counter were very friendly. We talked hockey a bit (had a Penguins shirt on and we just lost game 5 the night before), and they were very interested in giving me anything that would make my stay good for me (asked what floor I wanted on, explained parking options, told me about the arena district, and told me to call if I needed anything).

The room was wonderful, and we had a view away from the arena. I wish I would've asked for a view of the arena, but I never really thought of it. The room was extremely clean. The beds were comfortable and the desk chair was too. TV sat on a dresser stand.

The bathroom was very nice and also clean. Had enough towels, and even had a little tube of toothpaste there.

There was also a once cup coffee maker with 4 bags and 4 cups. Only thing was, we like alot of cream and sugar, and there was only enough of that there for 2 cups. No big deal though, I'm sure we could've asked the housekeeping lady in the hall for more, but we didn't bother.

Now for a couple of things that kept me from giving this hotel 5 stars (nothing major)
1. Other than the front desk guys, no one at the hotel was really that nice. I've stayed at a few Regency's before, and I was surprised that none of the employees outside ever looked at you, let alone said hi. This, by no means is a big deal, but I was just surprised. When I stayed at the Regency in Jersey City for example, we looked forward to coming and going so we could talk to the doorman, Charles (see, been two years and I remember his name)
2. The Chestnut Street garage is the cheapest option ($12 with in/out), but it's sort of a pain to get to the hotel. The guy at the desk said it's connected by a skywalk, which it is, but they're doing construction in parts of it so they have signs all over and it's sort of confusing. It took us longer to get from the garage to the room, than from the room to the arena district.
3. The hallways were dirty. We got off the elevator upon checking in and there were still trays and glasses sitting on the floor from the previous night (I would assume). Not only were these things on the ground, but the carpeting was very dirty, looking stained in many, many places. The rooms themselves (and lobby) were clean, but the hallway on our floor was a disaster.
4. What is with these nice hotels having the old tube TV's? I stayed at a Hyatt Place in Florence the two nights before, and there was a 42" flat panel HD TV. Here there is a 20 some inch tube TV. Once again, not a big deal, but I payed $100/night more, you'd think the Regency would have the nicer TV.
5. And like other nice hotels downtown, you have to pay for internet service. Not a big deal, I can go without, but you'd think these hotels downtown would get with the program and give free WIFi like the bargain basement and mid-level places.

All in all the stay was great though. There were a couple things that keep me from giving it 5 stars, but don't take it as anything bad and you not staying there. If I ever head to Nationwide Arena again, this will defaintely be my hotel choice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Pens4821
Weston, FL
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I try to focus on the positives so let me start by saying the staff at the Hyatt Regency Columbus was good. Friendly and helpful. The location adjacent to the convention center and near the arena and Short North district was also very nice.

That's where the nice ends. I stayed nine nights for a group and I literally had to re-make my bed each night - sloppy work. I called three times to get my room vacuumed and the bathroom floor cleaned without success. Twice I returned to my room around 4 pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet. There was water on the tile elevator floors 80% of the time.

Extra charge for the internet - embarrassing for a downtown convention property. No room safes. Front desk staff hidden behind self check-in kiosks. Had to move our meeting room three times because of construction noise. And I can forgive a dated property but this place had 1970's decor and it all looked original. Worn and very dirty carpeting in the public areas. They should have renovated a long, long, long time ago.

Sure, they gave me a free night and additional points on my Gold Passport after I complained at check-out. But that's what I expect at a two-star motel - not a Hyatt. Finally, they gave me a voucher for my cab ride to the airport. When I got there, the driver said he was with a different cab company - couldn't take the voucher. I guess I should have expected that after I noticed the cabbie tipping the doorman.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2009

The hotel really is not as bad as most people say. People have to realize that this is a Hyatt REGENCY, not a Hyatt, or GRAND Hyatt. The beds and bedding are fine, the bathrooms are large and filled with amenities (including toothpaste which was nice), and the décor was nice.

I was disappointed with T-Mobile as their WiFi provider because I do think this is now something that needs to be free in such a property...but that is little compared to the last night we had at this hotel.

I was with a student group, and although I wasn't directly in this situation, I was involved with it. We were going down to the lobby, and a group of my friends got on an elevator. I wasn't ready and I told them that I'd meet them down there. Then I get a call saying that they were stuck in the elevator, but that they had been pressing the button and I shouldn't worry.

25 minutes later I get another call from them saying that they called the operator at the hotel, and that the hotel responded with, "stop playing around kids...there is no broken elevator." I went to the front desk at this time and told them that my friends were stuck in an elevator, and they said, "there is no broken elevator." My other friend went to get an adult to tell the hotel, and then they believed them. An hour later someone from maintenance finally arrives. An hour and a half later, they get out. This was unacceptable.

The event that I was at this hotel for is held here every year, and letters have already been written to the event's director asking to have the event held at a different location next year, because the treatment from the staff was just wrong. I hope the manager of this hotel thinks long and hard about the way his/her staff is trained.

• Liked — Rooms/Bathrooms
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CMHTraveller
jr52052
Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed one night, 2 adults, 2 children age 9 and 11. We picked the Hyatt because we thought it was a quality hotel. It may be, but only on the surface.

We wanted an indoor pool for the kids, eek. It was very small, secluded, and VERY cold, not heated at all. Kids were all over the pool and weight room unsupervised. Most kids not in the freezing pool, but tearing up the weight room, loud and wild.

The food in the Market Cafe was not worth the price. The meat was over cooked (beef flank was like jerky), the potatoes were only half cooked and actually crunchy (boiled!).

We ordered room service only to have the gentleman who brought it up that he did not have change. He was already receiving a $3.00 delivery charge as well as a 21% gratuity and still felt he had to play us for the change.

The guestroom was smaller than implied, we barely fit and as I was in a wheelchair, near impossible to enter or leave as there is a wall dividing tiny entry area to the room.

It boasts a coffeepot in the room yet only made ONE cup.

Kids ran up and down the halls at all hours and played on the elevators so much the wait for one was impossibly long. Again, wheelchair, cannot use the stairs. Yes, they were warned about my handicap. We were even accosted in the hotel by beggars. In the lobby as well as up to the second floor! They were even accosting children for money. No one who was working did anything to curb the wild kids or wondering beggars.

On a good note, the beds were very comfortable and the view was amazing. The people who aided us were all very polite and friendly.

• Liked — People nice, beds very comfortable
  • Disliked — horrible unheated (freezing!) tiny pool, no rules enforced, lack of coffee
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jr52052
Michigan
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed at this property for several nights to attend a conference held on site. The overall experience was fine - not terrible, but not outstanding, either.

Pros: Clean; comfortable beds, effective and quiet heat, nice complimentary toiletries, bowed shower curtain rod (love those!), walking distance to Short North area and Arena District for good dining and entertainment, friendly desk and bell staff, express check-out either on in-room TV or electronic kiosks in lobby.

Cons: $10/night for in-room internet access, toiletries never replenished during 4-night stay, our particular room was right next to the elevator (noisy) and overlooked the expansive roofs of the convention center, housekeeping let themselves in even with "Do Not Disturb" hanger on door.

• Liked — That my conference was just downstairs.
  • Disliked — Paying for internet access every day.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pontiac, Michigan
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I stayed here for the Mid Ohio Comic Convention 2008.

- I asked for a quite room cause I work 3rd shift and knew I'd be going to bed early in the evening and waking up early in the morning. I arrived at 3:30pm and was told by the kiosk none were available.

- The parking is a 5+ minute walk away unless you use Valet.

- The bathroom was tiny! The door being open you would block the shower and toilet. The room I had last year here was much better in that respect.

- Staff was very nice and decent. Asking if you needed help. The Housekeepers were also great about leaving me extra items since I worked out in the morning and evening.

- With my Con rate it was only $129 a night. So for that it wasn't to expensive.

• Liked — It was attached to the Greater Columbus Convention area
  • Disliked — Dealing with a Kiosk instead of a human being and the parking being so far away to walk from.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo