Perhaps I am the guilty of outsized expectations, but the hotel is a Hyatt Regency (which implies a better experience than a standard Hyatt), the hotel is architecturally significant, and the hotel has been recently remodeled. That being said, while there was nothing wrong with the hotel, per se, there really wasn't anything especially good about it either. For example:
The room was small-ish and very much business hotel standard. No big deal, I guess, but to me, standard = average = 3 dots.
The check in was inefficient. I waited for ten minutes while the one clerk dealt with a complex issue for the one guest ahead of me. Ever heard of backup staff?
The reports about slow/insufficient elevators is TRUE. It's a design issue for the property, and the local management is doing what it can by opening access to freight elevators during peak hours (not glamorous, but they get you there). Either Hyatt needs to invest in better lift technology, or just accept that this will be a persistent and fair guest complaint.
The valets were overburdened and have a really tough driveway to deal with. The driveway is quite small for a hotel this size and when they don't staff enough valets (which was the case each morning), the wait can be long. It's a building design issue (note the theme here?) made worse by staffing issues.
Finally, be forewarned. This is a property attached to the mid-sized Columbus convention center. The upside is that you have a short and easy walk to the very nice and hip Short North neighborhood. The downside is that big groups of not-so-experienced travelers can make the stay loud, hectic, and stressful if you prefer a more relaxed environment.
Location is great, the price offered via the website was very good, and the rooms are fine. Like I said, it's an average business hotel, not an exceptional one. If you get a great rate, go for it -- there's nothing really wrong here. if you are looking for a better-than-average experience, stay across the street at the Lofts or wait for the new Le Meridien opening in Short North in January 2015.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 633 guest rooms, including 16 suites, and Hyatt business plan rooms... connected to the Greater Columbus Convention Center.. 63,000 sq ft meeting space, including 15,500 sq ft ballroom and 32 meeting rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Odigeo so you can book your Hyatt Regency Columbus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Columbus Hotel Columbus
- Columbus Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Columbus
- Hyatt Regency Columbus Ohio