“Expensive hotel , great location but not worth the price.”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #14 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I am a repeater customer and I have to say this place is going downhill. The halls smelled like pot , not a great first impression. The phone in the room didn't work so I had to walk downstairs to ask for shampoo since housekeeping never came. The location is wonderful, especially if you are going to the convention center. But the cost plus the cost of parking, not worth it. I'd stay somewhere else and next time I will

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for reviewing Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the malfunctioning phone in your room, and for the delays it caused you. I hope we were able to provide you with all of your requested amenities. I appreciate the constructive feedback. I hope you will change your mind about returning, and give us another chance to provide you with a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you are downtown.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Columbus

Reviewed May 14, 2013

What has the Hyatt come to, really? I mean at nearly $200.00 a night you would expect a nice comfortable bed and better free amenities. I took a shower and nearly flooded out the bathroom! I used every towel that was in the bathroom, clean and previously used to dry up the inch of water scattered all over the floor! The bathroom is very poorly lit, no lighting at all in the shower area. I woke up after a two-night stay with a bad back each night and on top of that hefty price tag per night you are required to pay for Wi-Fi! Seriously? It's $9.95 per 24-hour period PER device. I roomed with my sister and we had to share internet connection to avoid the extra fees. I can stay at a Holiday Inn, get better amenities and free Wi-Fi. Tell me why in today's age we are required to pay for an internet connection in our rooms? I stayed at the Hyatt before the remodel in downtown Columbus and the rooms were nicer then they are now after the remodel, however, I remember being required to pay for Wi-Fi then too. I think next time I'll save my money and sleep in a cheaper hotel - at least I'll have better amenities and a more comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I travel a lot and this is the first hotel that wants you to pay upon arrival not departure. The regular staff ex.valet, cleaners, etc.. were polite and very help full. Management was rude, uncaring. They were very hard to talk to, they were always right, not the customer.

Two women were in their bathroom at 8am, blow drying their hair laughing, security came and told them they were to loud. They were told 3 strikes and you out, out meaning out of the hotel.

They also put convention people of 500 people on the same floor with other people. They don't even mention it when checking in. This way you could ask to be put on a different floor.

FK

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking a moment to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize on behalf of my management staff. I assure you it is our goal to make you, our guest, feel cared for and comfortable while you are with us. I understand your frustration that you were not made to feel that way. Thank you for the feedback. Rest assured, the situation your guests experienced while blow drying their hair is specific and uncommon at our hotel. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you with a great Hyatt stay the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here last year and it was the worst experience of my life with a hotel. Came down for a girls volleyball tournament and wound up in the Hells city tattoo and piercing convention . I don't expect the staff to wave me off during my phone conversation booking a room but a little hint like " are you coming for the tattoo and piercing convention at our hotel or the volleyball tournament at the convention center" I think I could have figured it out from there or at lease it begs for a question or 2. Check in was long and the desks were understaffed, the elevators are small and full the entire weekend. Oh and the crack valet staff made up of foreign students that probably don't hold a drivers license wrecked my car 10 minutes after I gave them the keys but didn't bother to tell me until I checked out 2 days later. That was a 3 week $5500 event ordeal after i only wanted a weekend experience. Parking is off site and a friend attending an event the next weekend had a similar situation with the valet staff. This year we stayed at the New Hilton across the street. What a difference from the ancient, run down, overpriced, dump called the Hyatt on the corner. I had a chance to walk over from the convention center and spend some time looking around, its still the same issues. Restraunt still looks like a 1950's Manners, misspelled menu's, ect. Friends stayed there but came over to the Hilton next door to have some drinks and were upset they didn't stay. Do yourself a favor and get to the shining spot of hotels in downtime Columbus the New Hilton will impress you at every turn.

Room Tip: to get a great room stay across the street at the Hilton
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jay R
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while you were our guest. I encourage you to contact me directly so that we can discuss specific aspects of your stay. Thank you for the constructive feedback. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This should be a 2 star hotel at best. 0 amenties (at least that we're used to). King room was very small. Hotel seems very dark, poorly lit.

We parked in the garage we were directed to (connected to the Hotel), told us it was $14 a night. Sounds reasonable. next day we go to leave, cashier tells us its $27 a night and its not a hotel garage and its the convention center garage and that the stupid hotel people keep telling people to park there. So I had to pay the $27.

Called the hotel manager to correct what I think is an obvious mistake, he goes on to explain that they do have a $14 agreement, but its been hit or miss because they cant all get on the same page. At this point it gives me the phone number of the parking supervisor to "work it out"

hmmmm.... certainly not my kind of service....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus. I appreciate you bringing the miscommunication you experienced with our valet attendant to my attention. There has been a recent pricing structure change with the parking garages in our area. Chestnut Street Garage across the street from the hotel offers our hotel guests over night self parking for $16.00. I encourage you to utilize their service if you find yourself in need of parking in our area again. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us in April and hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a flawless Hyatt stay.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

When one expects a Marriott hotel level of service and comfort it becomes very disconcerting when the first thing you find upon entering your room is the sink plug is broken and will not drain. OK, broken sinks happen, but immediately after this I attempt to search for a movie. After several failed attempts to contact someone for help (the phones went unanswered) I finally got someone's attention and ultimately a connection. But, the picture and sound quality was so poor I chose to skip the $16.99 film. I'm not done. The wireless Internet didn't work for awhile, but eventually coming through. All in all, it just wasn't the Hyatt experience I've enjoyed over many years. This is an old, unrefurbished property and needs a facelift.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Columbus, and for bringing the broken drain plug and the inconsistent wi-fi connection to my attention. I appreciate your constructive feedback. I hope to have another chance to provide you with a flawless Hyatt stay the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great place for a convention with lodging close at hand!! Once you have unloaded and park, you don't need your vehicle till you leave. I've attended a convention every year in this same location and it gets better and better. Easy walking distance to restaurants, shops and markets. Nice amenities. Restaurant located in the hotel also. Elevators could be better but plan to relax and avoid the crowds. Indoor pool and hot tub!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for the nice review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you enjoyed our location and the hotel's amenities. I hope to have you as our guest the next time you are in for a convention.