“Smells like feet”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #14 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is nice, and normal enough from what you'd expect from a Hyatt Regency... Until you get to your guest room. It smelled awful, like that of dirty feet or dirty laundry. Thought it was just my room, until 4 out of my 5 colleagues all had the same complaint in separate rooms on separate floors, not to mention the room next door to me, who I overheard the woman staying their yelling at the hotel staff for how horribly her room smelled.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I apologize for the odor you encountered in your guestroom. We try to provide a fresh smelling, tranquil environment for each of our guests, and it is apparent that we were unsuccessful on this occasion. Thank you for bring it to my attention, as it is something that we can address immediately. I hope to have another chance to provide you with a flawless stay the next time to return to the Columbus area.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here while attending a concert in the Columbus Arena District. The property is well maintained and has very updated furnishings. The location is a short walk to the Ballpark, Hockey Arena, and the Lifestyles Pavilion. We used the hotels restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was very good, and the breakfast buffet offered "build your own" omelettes and had lots of fresh fruit that was exceptional. I very highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Downtown Columbus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the great review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am so glad you enjoyed our location and breakfast buffet, and hope you had a great time at your concert! Please allow us to be of service the next time you visit the area.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a perfect place to stay if you are in the city for a big conference since the hotel is connected to the Columbus Convention centre.

The hotel is also located on one of the main streets the High Street North where you can find many local restaurants, galleries, shops, and other interesting activities. The hotel is also located near a nice quite park (for all you joggers out there:) ).

As for the hotel itself, there is a complimentary WIFI but it is only offered in the lobby or at the bar on the second floor. If you want WIFI in your room, the fee varies from 9$ to 18$ depending on the speed. The hotel has a valet parking for 24$ for 24h, but I would recommend parking across the street in a self-parking for 14$ for 24$ (ask the valet at the entrance and they will gladly help you find the place). On my part, I was in Columbus for a conference, so I did not get to taste the hotel’s breakfast, but if you do not want to eat at the hotel, there are numerous and delicious places on High Street North (from local breweries, to local cafes, to steak house, sushi, etc).
Great place to stay.

Room Tip: I recommend parking across the street at half the price
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you so much for the thorough review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed our proximity to the Columbus Convention Center. We love our location in the downtown area as it provides our guests with many options to find entertainment and, yes, even some nice, quiet green space here in the busy downtown area. I hope to have another opportunity to be of service the next time your conference travel needs bring you to our city.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was one of those nightmares. While the hotel seemed decent and was recommended by the locals, everything was a disappointment.
Upon check in, it was explained to me that they only put reservations from the service I used into rooms with two beds. No exceptions. I couldn't even pay for an upgrade.
Once in the room, the big surprise was revealed. The room was directly behind the elevators. And you could clearly hear the elevator cars each time they passed. This was not a minor sound, it was like a cart slowly rolling by each time. To make matters worse, I could clearly hear anyone in the elevator lobby having a conversation. It's like there is no soundproofing at all in these rooms. When I requested to move to another room, I was told that there were none available -- which I suspect was related to me using a discount service to book the room (the hotel did not seem that busy.)
There are signs throughout the hotel reminding guests to keep noise to a minimum in the evening. I guess that's because this place is too cheap to soundproof and insulate the rooms. The short story is this: I got virtually no sleep in a room that cost me good money.
The constant noise, unhelpful staff and lack of sleep really put me off of this property. Maybe they will step up their game when the new Hilton opens later in 2012. In the meantime, I cannot recommend this property. If you have to book here, absolutely demand (and keep a record) that you NOT be put in a room by the elevators.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevator rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Tim_Dant, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for reviewing Hyatt Regency Columbus. I am so sorry you did not have a good experience with us. I can assure you that we do try to attend to every guest's requests, and it is very unfortunate that we were not able to room change you due to elevated occupancy levels. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss your dissatisfaction with your stay. I hope to have another chance to earn your respect for the Hyatt brand, and to provide you with a great stay the next time you return to the area.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

How is this a Regency? As a long-time Hyatt fan, this hotel is less than acceptable. After arriving tired on labor day, I came to the bar for dinner, and was welcomed by blaring ACDC. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The internet service is slower than dial-up. I can't even check my email. I wouldn't put a toe in the pool. Service is great, but this hotel needs a major upheaval.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank thecurlygirl

Thank you for leaving a review about Hyatt Regency Columbus. I apologize for the unacceptable music volume level in our Big Bar on 2. We try to create an atmosphere that is welcoming to all of our guests, and I am sorry we were unsuccessful this time. Please note that we are in the process of increasing the speed of our internet service. I am glad that we provided you with great service, and hope to have the chance to do so again the next time to come to Columbus.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Good room, comfortable bed, very friendly and helpful staff. Hotel was crowded (OSU football, convention) but not any problems with the elevator as reported by others. One thing have to agree with is the sheets are flat not fitted and by third night were not holding on too well!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for bringing the sheets to my attention. We train our housekeeping staff to tuck and fold properly so that the sheets stay put throughout a stay, and unfortunately it appears your bed was not made to our standards. I hope to have another opportunity to have you as our valued guest in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Not much to say other than I was there to go to an OSU football game and the stay went well. Everything from the delicious chicken quesadilla and drinks at Big Bar, to the comfortable bed I slept in, to the breakfast buffet was enjoyable. I'm sure I'll stay here again on a future return visit. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for the five star review of Hyatt Regency Columbus! I am glad you enjoyed your food and beverage experience, and had a good night's sleep! Please allow us the opportunity to serve you again the next time you find yourself in need of accommodations in the area. Go Buckeyes!