“Great if you got the new updated rooms!”

Hyatt Regency Columbus
Ranked #15 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I was lucky enough to have gotten the newly renovated rooms. They were great. The best partvwas having thennight stand next to the bed with multiple outlets.

I also want to thank our waiter in The Bar on 2 for serving us great. Zac H, remembered our drinks from the night before. This kid works 2 jobs, 16 hour days and was still charming enough to give us funny insight on the stuff going on in the bar area. I demand he gets recognized for his superior service.

• Stayed: April 2011
Dwumman, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Hello hasin300!

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our newly renovated guestrooms! The addition of the outlets to the bedside stand came about from listening to the advice of guests such as yourself.

I wanted to let you know that I have personally thanked Zac for his exemplary service to you and your party. Zac is a wonderful asset to the Hyatt Regency Columbus team, and he will get recognition at our quarterly hotel meeting before all of his peers.

Please let me know if I may be of assistance to you in any future travel plans, and as always thank you for choosing Hyatt Hotels.

Tim Dant

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Columbus

Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed here for a conference for 3 nights. Check-in was very quick, and I was given a newly renovated room on the 19th floor. The gentleman at the front desk, Ryan, found my reservation easily and was very polite.
I went upstairs and was very pleased with the room. It had a king bed, 42" flat screen tv, fridge, chaise sofa, desk and a decent size bathroom. Room service prices were reasonable and the food was delivered within 30 min and tasted great! If you're looking for someplace else to eat there's a Max & Erma's or Michael O'Tooles pub across the street.
I didn't go to the business center or anything. I think there is an indoor pool but I didn't go to it either.
All in all I would highly recommend this hotel if you're coming to Columbus for a conference! Everyone was very professional and the room was very clean.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 12, 2011

My 2nd stay at this Hyatt. I was given the odd triangular king room, 1634 at $89/night. You'll either like this room or hate it. This room had been recently renovated with updated furnishings and TV. Bathroom/shower is small and warm to hot when the sun shines in the bathroom windows. Running both air conditioners made the room noisy but you'll need them both on sunny days. The room was fine for one person or intimate couple.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I was very disappointed in a four-night stay at this hotel to attend a convention. I booked about 10 rooms for our office and had nothing but problems throughout the whole stay. We had guaranteed reservations with king size beds, but as my parties were checking in, they were given two double beds. When I called to inquire why, I was told a king size bed is a preference request - not a guarantee. I have never heard of such a thing. Yet, I found someone who checked in that same day with no reservation and was readily given a king size bed.

They are remodeling the upper floors, and the hammering and sawing started at 7:10 am right above me. A little rude and very disrespectful to think your guests will all be awake by 7:00 am. One of the rooms I booked was guaranteed late arrival, even though they would not be arriving until 9 am the next morning, they needed access to a room immediately and could not wait to get into one at 3 pm. I told the reservation desk, when I checked in two days earlier, the situation and we needed that room available. I was told there would be no problem. But when the guest I booked the room for arrived, it had been given away and she could not get into a room until 4 pm.

Complaints got no explanations - just that it shouldn't have happened. There is NO free internet access, that will cost you $9.95 per day. PLEASE - it's 2011, I can get free internet access at McDonald's but not the Hyatt Regency - connected to the Convention Center? The elevators are inadequate for accommodating guests at certain times throughout the day. You are not allowed to take a cart to your room to make it easier to pack your things - they will only let you use a cart if you let a bellboy bring it, ensuring you of having to spend money on tips. I wanted a cart to make things easier when they were going to move my room to a lower floor (because of the early morning construction work) and was not allowed to touch it. And when we checked out, they totally messed up at least one of our bills - not even having the right company name on the receipt and could NOT get it corrected. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is almost $20 per person (prices for everything in that restaurant is absurd), and the food was cold and horrible - the guys who ate there refused to pay for it. And, in one case, instead of taking it off their bill, they put it on our company credit card - which the hotel was not given permission to use for food (only authority was given for hotel and parking). When I called them about it, they told me it was my problem and I would have to get the guest to call and have it transferred to his credit card (this is before I knew the meal was supposed to be credited) - I don't know how it is my problem when they don't even have authority to put those charges on the company credit card?

And how about this - when I wrote a complaint letter to the manager, he called on a Saturday evening to respond (it's a business - why would you not call during business hours)? He left a message and sent an email saying he would contact me that week. He waited until Thursday morning and emailed me asking if I could talk that day, I said to call after 11 am and he responded he would. A week later he had not even called! And a carbon copy sent to the regional manager received no response. I now know why the customer service down the line is so poor.

Customer service is horrible, hotel accommodations inadequate, and staff obviously can't do their job. I already have reservations for next year's convention at the Drury Hotel right next door - which I have heard nothing but good things about (and get this, FREE internet access, food buffets, and a hot tub too). I will never stay at the Hyatt Regency again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank CNikel
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I use TripAdvisor whenever I am planning a trip or if I just want to read the opinion or recommendation of others on dining, nightlife etc. It's a wonderful resource! That being said I've decided to review the following event as It is what some may term "a major happening" for New Years in Columbus, Ohio. I attended this event with my brother and some friends.

For the event the hotel offered Standard, VIP and general admission pricing.

What you got for VIP
Overnight accommodations for two
Admission to NYE party for two with access to VIP Lounge,
Premium beverages and upscale hors d'oeuvres during NYE party
Buffet breakfast for two on New Year's Day
The Standard package is the same as VIP but without the access, premium drinks and hors d'oeuvres. The General admission package included access to party, standard drinks and hors d'oeuvres. VIP was about five hundred per person. Four hundred per person for standard and I think general admission was around one hundred thirty.
The Acts: 17TH FLOOR , LT. DAN'S NEW LEGS, THE REAGANOMICS, CHRIS LOGSDON, THE FLOOR WALKERS, PARADISE ISLAND, CAPITAL SOUND, EL DORADO KARAOKE (hmm didn't see), DJ MARINO MONACO, and DJ ANT.

For our party: Some paid for the standard package, some VIP (myself) and others general admission tickets.

We all arrived early as advised (except the general admission holders) and was greeted by a very large line of people waiting to check in. The line moved quickly and a hostess passed out water bottles while you waited. The demographic was mostly Caucasian ages 18-70, yeah that wide of a range.

I've stayed at this Hyatt before and for the price I have never been overly excited about the rooms (outdated, no vent in bathrooms, cheap toiletries, small). However, nothing compares to the exceptional view of the city and it's always clean.

VIP is the way to go if you want to avoid the lines and enjoy a decent meal. Only two of us chose VIP so we ended up hanging outside of the lounge for a bit. VIP holders had access to all areas (not saying much). The standard drinks were decent and the food was equally the same, with killer lines. The VIP lounge was nicely decorated, party favors were placed throughout and light party music played. . .nice. There were meat carving stations, made to order seafood and pasta, fresh veges, a bread and dessert station. The drinks were typical of a "club" atmosphere (premium or not).

Each area of the two "party areas" had a different theme, band or DJ. The band area was so crowded you could barely move and the floor was an accident waiting to happen. There was broken glass and plastic cup pieces all over the place. People were slipping and falling left and right. Not a good place for heels. The bands were overall mediocre. Lt Dans legs and 17th floor were ok.

The DJ (Marino Monaco never saw ANT) was actually an older gentleman and his older wife.They were actually not bad and the floor was not as crowded as the band area. After checking the place out for a while, my fellow VIP and I retreated to the VIP party lounge which sat above the crowd. The bar line was never long and you could move around, even take your shoes off. However, bad hygiene on the part of a particular party made for some strategic positioning.

The breakfast the next morning was good. It was basically a help yourself buffet. I wish pork wasn't the only meat choice. However, the fruit, breads and cereals made up for it.

All in all I like the fact that you can party till your content for one price and not have to worry about how to get home afterwards. The food wasn't too shabby and my room was quiet when it was time to sleep. The crowd could have been more culturally diverse with better music selections.

I hope this review helps!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank WhatzNxt
HyattColumbus, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

Hello WhatzNxt,
Thank you for the wonderfully detailed review of our hotel and New Year's Eve celebration! We appreciate feedback of any kind from our guests as it helps us maintain the highest level of service possible.
You mentioned in your review that you would have enjoyed other types of bands for your entertainment. We are always on the look out for fresh, new entertainment choices for our New Year's Eve guests. If you like, please contact me at 614-280-3033 with any suggestions you have to help us make this annual celebration even more inviting and joyous for our customers. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency for your New Years Eve festivities this year, and we hope to have you as our guest again on 12/31/11!
Warm Regards,
Tim Dant
tim.dant@hyatt.com

Reviewed February 6, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Columbus. Upon arriving, I decided to have my car valet parked. It is $23.00 a night. There is a parking garage right next door that you might consider using if the $23.00 is a bit too much.

Checking in was not a problem at all. I called a few days before to confirm my reservation and everything was fine. I do have to mention thought, that one of my colleagues called about their reservation as well and the Hyatt didn't have their reservation. So, you may want to check after you make your reservation.

The rooms weren't bad. There was a notice on my desk that the rooms are currently being renovated. I would've liked to have seen a renovated room, but I didn't ask. The rooms that are not renovated are a bit tired, but clean. The bathroom, though clean, had broken tile, the shower head was coming out of the wall (room 939) and overall worn. The renovations are coming at a good time.

The beds were comfortable and my call for extra pillows came quickly. There was a lot of noise in the hallways, plus I could hear people through the wents or walls. Not sure ... couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from. I did have to turn off the air/heat as it was loud. I also found the room fragrance spray to be a bit much. I did leave a note for housekeeping to not spray the next day, which was worked out fine.

I was staying at the hotel for a convention. I found the event staff to be great. The food at the hotel (for the convention) was excellent. Service was amazing.

The hotel is located very close to the Arena District, where I would recommend trying Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant or O'Shaughnessy's. I ate a meal at Gordon Biersch which was good. I had some drinks at O'Shaughnessy's. The Arena District is close and about a five minute walk ... See link below!

The hotel is also located near Short North. A little more of a walk, but you can get there through the Convention Center walkways. The convention center is locked at nights, so your return will be outside. It will take about 10-15 mintues to walk. Here's a link...

I did use the hotel bar (on the second level) and found the service and selection to be good.

Overall, I would not hesitate to stay at the Hyatt again. I enjoyed the service and it appears they are working on renovated all existing rooms. You may want to ask for a renovated room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We were told the day we Reserved our rooms (one month in advace) that we could hold our 3 rooms with a credit card. We requested 3 rooms next to each other and wanted King beds. We were also told we could call the morning of to see if we could come down early. We called the morning of and they said that they were fully booked the night before but that our room would be ready by the 3:00 check in time. We got there and were unable to check in to our hotel until 3:45 and this in turn made us late to our dinner reservations and that in turn made us late to our hockey game--the WHOLE reason for our trip!! To top all of this off, when we got our room keys, we were all on different floors (5,9, and 11) and 2 of our 3 rooms were "corner kings" ... you know, the ones that have the toilet in an area so small you hav to sit sideways to pee... And we all got charged the same rate even though 2 of the rooms were significantly smaller. We all around had an awful experience. They also charge $23 for valet for one night! Or you can park your car down the block in a garage.... NOT convenient and would not recommend!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple