“Average for Class - Newly Updated - Good Business Location - Central Downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel

You added Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 East State St, Columbus, OH 43215 (Formerly Hyatt on Capitol Square)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #48 of 142 Hotels in Columbus
Charlotte, NC
“Average for Class - Newly Updated - Good Business Location - Central Downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is newly updated and the rooms were nice and clean. We stayed here for 1-night after spending 2 nights at they Hyatt Convention Center Hotel, just a mile up the road. There was a difference in staff professionalism, location and amenities. The staffing level was weaker and less professional for it's Star Class at the Sheraton with fewer valets, housekeeping and desk personnel. Everything took longer. The amenities were thin, but I do want to add they had a great internet cafe area that had free internet and multiple computers in the main lobby. Many times you only have a few computers or have to pay. This is a nice feature and I hope they keep it. The lounge area was nice as well.

Our views were great, overlooking a newly built park area in downtown Columbus. There is a small attached shopping plaza with a Starbucks and few stores and the streets are walkable, but there is not a lot to see or walk to in this area and it seems more quiet at night. Anyone can stay here, but it's ideal for business or conference meetings and not family or vacationing couples. For it's class I give it an average rating given lack of amenities, staff and location. We did get a good price being mid-week and if you get a fair price, do enjoy, but you'll have to drive to more attractions than you can walk so for those on an urban vacation I receommend the area closer to the arena and short-north districts just a mile above. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Best View of room seems to be overlooking the large park nearby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
SheratonDowntown, Manager at Sheraton Columbus at Capitol Square Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear DBTrips-NC,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our LINK@Sheraton (business center in the lobby) and appreciated the view from your guest room. We hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Sincerely, Manager at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
SAINT LOUIS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here off and on for a number of years, including under their previous management. They have been consistantly top notch - clean rooms, good meals from room service, very quiet and accomodating of room requests.

Pluses: Location to government offices downtown, but downtown dining is hit and miss. Fortunately they have a decent restaurant if not a real extensive menu. I recommend the bread pudding if you have a sweet tooth.

Minuses: No Pepsi products. Recent changes have not been to my liking: replaced sports bar with a Starbucks. Moved flight check-in computer away from front desk so there is no one to help you if, for example, the printer connection is not working (as was the case this last time).

Room Tip: Get a higher floor for a good view of the city.
Dear JOHN D,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. There is not a designated flight computer, but there are numerous computers in the business center (LINK@Sheraton) available to use complimentary. As of now all printer issues are fixed, but as always are front desk staff is available to assist with any computer issues. . We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus or for your next craving of the wonderful bread pudding!

Ypsilanti, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a good stay the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. The check in was smooth, (no platinum suite upgrades) my room was clean spacious and well appointeed. The furnishings appeared to be updated, the decor was tasteful. My roon was rather cool, I was unable to adjust the thermostat to a comfortable temperature. The Club Lounge was awesome, great treats in the evening and a nice breakfest in the morning.....over all a good stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dlclay1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. As far as the lack of Platinum upgrade, we have very few suites, so they do sell out fast and generally far in advance. It is always great to hear that the Lounge is awesome because we have quite a few guests that utilize that upgraded amenity. Sorry to hear about the temperature in your guestroom, please let us know in the future if that is an issue and we can fix that for you so you are more comfortable during your stay. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your overall time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been staying here on a weekly basis for the past 6 months.

Location: Ok - It's downtown, but not within walking distance to much, so going out for dinner is usually a car ride away. At least there's a Starbucks connected to it from the lobby. There's a free shuttle in the mornings and evenings, but only 1, so you might have to wait a while. The shuttle takes you places within a 2 mile radius.

Decor: Great - Newly renovated, the decor looks very welcoming and relaxing. Even though it's newly renovated, it looks as if some of the renovations were done cheaply, especially the elevators which I noticed had some of the brand new panels falling off.

Rooms: Good - Newly renovated and clean. Similar to the lobby, nice contemporary design.
However, they have some maintenance issues - I've encountered some very weak toilets, a broken HVAC, and during one very cold week the HVAC just didn't have enough juice to warm the room. Albeit, this particular room was one of the larger ones. When I closed the door to the bathroom (also very sizable), the room was warm. But this left the bathroom unheated and freezing. The bathroom had temperature controls but it didn't appear to be hooked up to anything.

Service: Good - staff is friendly. I'm not a needy traveler so I haven't needed to ask them for much. The one thing I noticed was that room service is somewhat inconsistent - sometimes they're swamped and take forever. I've eaten many things off the menu having stayed there so long and even the same dish will not always be consistent in flavor (e.g. the wings have ranged from flavorless to delicious). Sometimes, chicken was undercooked (both wings and on salad). The ingredients seems pretty fresh and the prices are not bad though.

Facilities: Gym is a bit too small and it feels cramped. Restaurant is usually empty and the menu is limited. Still, decor is nice. The Club is on a high floor and feels roomy.

I've stayed several times at the Renaissance a few blocks away, and I like this hotel better - feels more homey. However, the Renaissance does have some more restaurant options within walking distance.

• 2 of 5 stars
Dear dcbuddyobuddy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. It is always great to hear positive feedback of the renovation and the new Starbucks. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel, so we may resolve any and all issues. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square. We hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed at hotel recently for a business trip. Hotel is going under renovations, but as a guest saw no sign of it. New rooms were great. Furniture and accents made the room enjoyable. Bed was very comfortable. Valet was great and the front desk staff was helpful. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Away from Elevators
Dear tbennettstmartin,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear a story of our staff being attentive to guest needs because that is what we strive for at Sheraton. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus!

Lynnwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I thought I'd try out SPG after having stayed in copious Marriotts in the last year. First impression - don't use your GPS to get there; or do, but ignore the las dirction essentially sending you down an alley. Once I got in, I was impressed.

It was an easy check in then up to my room, a king bed room. The room was nicely appointed and something appealed to me about the chair/ottoman next to the bed with a table. It was an easy place to work and more relaxing than the desk.

My one disappointment with the room was there wasn't a fridge. There was an ice bucket and water, however.

The bathroom was large, functional, and had a tub/shower combo. The hotel has 22 floors. Lounge on the second (food was just ok - I had the ribeye), exercise on 22, and club lounge on 21. Valet parking is $23 a night.

I enjoyed it and will look forward to SPG gold sometime this year. On the downside, they only have Coke products and I'm a diet Pepsi guy.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mr_RN
Dear Mr_RN,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and feedback. I will share this feedback with our team in the entire hotel. It is always great to hear positive comments about our hotel especially after just completing the full renovation. For your next visit, we do offer refrigerators upon request and we also have some upgraded Executive King rooms that have the refrigerator and microwave already in the room. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Columbus Capitol Square and we hope to see you again for your next stay in Columbus! Thank you for being an SPG member!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed for three nights at this hotel for a conference. It is fine if you are in Columbus for work or otherwise need to be downtown, and a bargain, but do not book here if you expect top-of-the-line service. I liked my room, which was spacious, clean and had a very comfortable bed. However, they definitely do not sweat the small things. For example, during my stay they decided to disconnect all the entertainment consoles in the fitness center for an unspecified amount of time for some sort of vendor upgrade. The only music piped in was an awful "golden oldies" station. Not really conducive to a good workout. Also, they don't seem to keep basic necessities at the front desk, such as advil (even for sale). Instead you have to go to a little gift store next door, which is not open at night and will totally rip you off. And the front desk staff generally seemed nice but a little clueless. One person did not even know whether the hotel provided headphones (they do, though they did not do me much good -- see above). These are all small(ish) things, but I would expect a bit better from a downtown, brand name hotel. If I ever return to Columbus I would consider staying here...but probably not if I had to pay the full rate.

Room Tip: Make sure to pack your own toiletries!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business