“Excellent, handled a very big problem with great professionalism!!!!”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #48 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Archbold
“Excellent, handled a very big problem with great professionalism!!!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

After returning home from this hotel, I realized we left our camera in the room. Being 3 hrs. away, paniced & figured it was gone. Called, NO problem, they found it & had it back to me in 2 days. We couldn't have been happier. Gary Martindale, asst.housekeeping mng'er was fabulous.
Had to pass it along!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am so glad that Gary was able to help you in such a fabulous way...he is truly special and we appreciate all of his efforts. Thank you for recognizing him! We hope to have you as our guest again soon.
All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 12, 2010

The hotel was very nice loved the room, location and staff! but the pool is soooooo bad its such a nice hotel why do they have such a bad pool??? It was very dirty needed to be painted and was very dingy its in the freezing basement with no windows. theres not even a table with chairs very disappointing! The water was freezing which was very not ok being that it was Dec in Ohio......... maybe part of your 8 million dollar renovation should have gone to buying a hot tub!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. I truly appreciate any feedback that will help improve our service or facilities. I sincerely apologize that our pool was not what you expected when booking your reservation. Our hotel pool is a small, fitness lap pool that is located in the lower level of our hotel and is advertised as such via our website. It is currently closed due to annual maintenance and will be reopened on January 31, 2011. The pool will, at that time, be freshly painted and heated. If I can answer any additional questions about our pool, I am available directly at my office number at 614-461-2658. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Only if you don't mind bed bugs! Everything else was fine, the room was clean, staff were friendly. No other complains, besides that I was bitten big times from the weekend stay at the hotel. Another thumb down is that the business center isn't free for internet usage.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear MaxCat888:

Thank you for being our guest. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms and friendly staff. I was, however, concerned to hear about you being bitten during your stay at our hotel. I researched our records and do not show any reports of a guest informing us that they received bites during their stay. I would like to speak with you at your earliest convenience to understand what room you occupied so that I can have a professional inspect the room to determine whether or not there is any activity that I need to be aware of and respond to. I can be reached direclty in my office at 614-461-2658 and am at your service. Please be assured that the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown is a Quality Excellence Award Winning Hotel in the Crowne Plaza Brand, a ranking that is earned directly from our valued guests, and this would not be possible if we had a problem of this nature. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager
Indiana
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My husband and I chose this hotel because of its location near Nationwide Arena. We were staying only one night and wanted to be able to walk to the arena. The location for the Arena District is great and for the Convention Center. That is the only positive thing I can say. During our stay I encountered only one helpful and welcoming employee--the one taking care of valet parking. It took us two trips to the front desk to get in the room (who knew you had to pull the handle up on the door instead of down to get in). Both times I was never greeted or welcomed by the front desk staff and had to demand their attention. The room was well furnished and well equipped. Supposedly they had just undergone an $8M renovation. Here is what they forgot. Soundproofing. This hotel is noisy. Very noisy. We could hear the television from the rooms on both sides. And when the fight started in one room, we could hear every word. If you have to stay here because of business or a convention, good luck. Next time I would go to the Hyatt or the Drury Inn across the street. I

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We were in town for the Ohio Sate/Indiana football game on a long weekend for the family. Booked two rooms through Priority Club and had no problems other than this location had no designated Priority Club check-in and the usual package (room keys, pre-registration, complimentary items) was not ready upon our arrival. The accommodations were very nice (standard for Crown); clean, comfortable with nice TV, bathroom and a great view. Our rooms were side-by-side but not adjoining; seventh floor location was easily accessible, good elevators and security appeared to be adequate.

This was a very busy weekend (10-10-10 apparently was a big wedding weekend and the hotel was hosting seven weddings); Buckeyes were playing at home, Quarter Horse Congress was in town and the place was packed. Lobby is small and check-in was congested. Did not sample bar or restaurant. Breakfast next door at Max & Erma’s on Sunday was buffet only and overly priced for selection and quality (I would pass on this in the future).

Taxi service made trip uptown to the University a breeze; plenty of cabs available day and into the late night. There are a few downtown clubs, bars and restaurants but we spent our time in and around the campus area so not much to comment on here. Staff was friendly but a bit overwhelmed. Valet parking is a must and runs around $25.00 a night. Overall we would return here again as we did like the location and easy access to both downtown and campus area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear FinWatcher:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. I was particularly thrilled to see that you would stay with us upon your next trip to Columbus! Thank you for your business and I look forward to your next visit. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager
Ohio
Reviewed October 12, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for Columbus Day for q short overnight trip. The hotel was convenient to everything - across from the Convention Center and about 1.5 blocks from the Nationwide Arena. They also offered a shuttle service within 3 miles of the hotel and we used it several times during our stay. We had a great corner room on the 11th floor, looking east we saw a fabulous red sunrise on Monday, the Convention Center was to the north of us. The room was fabulous, 2 queen beds, very crisp and clean. The hotel and valet staff were excellent! They were extremely helpful, very friendly, and we really felt we were well taken care of. We would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Columbus. Next visit there, we will definitely stay at the Crowne Plaza Downtown.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear blondieinohio:

I was thrilled to read your review! Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts about the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. The staff really appreciated your feedback as we are continuously striving to improve our facilities and service. Please let me know if I can be of personal service in the future. I truly hope to have you again as our guest soon! And of course, thank you for your business. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager
la jolla
Reviewed October 10, 2010

First off the service staff was nice and helpful! They have been trained well. The lounge area from a birds eye view looked clean until you went to sit down and crumbs and sticky stuff everywhere. The walk to the elevator was full of crumbs and dirt. The elevator smelled bad and the stainless doors were streaky dirty. The carpet needed a good vaccum and it smelled terrible. our walk to our room was the same. In desperate need of a vaccum. The room was clean enough except for the side of the toilet which was not cleaned. A bit gross! The room looked nice. The beds were the cheap kind that bounce around when people move on it. The walls thin. We could hear everything going on outside the room in the hall and next door. Why I guess they provide ear plugs. Their adjoining restaurant (aomething and Ermas) had a buffet breakfast that was not great. (I recommend walking to Sunny's up the street.) The restaurant is tired and not all that clean. We had to go through a few plates to find a clean one for our breakfast. The carpet is worn and holding too many ordors. We returned to our room at 2 pm and it still was not cleaned. The elevator and hallways still dirty. Finally by 4 pm our room was ready for us and things were cleaned up outside. Just not well. One could tell where the vaccum stopped. The dirt that was left near the wall was there for all four days of our stay. In the morning I was downstairs when the lady was vaccuming the carpet to the main lobby. It was in need of a bag change. The smell and dust was awful. I was also stuck on my floor a few times. Elevator number 2 would come to the floor and the doors would never open. Since it would not leave every time we pressed the call button that would be the elevator to come. When we reported it to the desk person they told us that that has been happening a lot over the past week. I was shocked that they would let it go for that long. There was chewed gum on the carpet by the elevator as well. I told the housekeeping staff but later it was still there. The entry by the Valet was also dirty. I guess dirty was just the common theme here followed by a noisy place to stay with uncomfortable beds. Good location though! Nice staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Irivkin:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at tripadvisor.com. I was very glad to hear that you found our service staff nice and helpful. We do provide an extensive training program to all of our associates, and I'm glad the investment paid off!

I would like to apologize for your disappointment in our housekeeping department. I have shared your thoughts with the team and they are working hard to improve on all areas addressed in your review. Our hotel is a Quality Excellence award winning hotel, and we take great pride in our service and facilities. Please know that your experience is not the norm at our hotel, and that we greatly appreciate your feedback as it only helps us improve. If I can be of personal service to you, please let me know. All My Best, Kathyrn Burton, General Manager