“Large room but no breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #51 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown has many things going for it. Located near the arena and the insurance offices were not the reason we stayed there, but for a wedding /reception not too far away. We walked comfortably to Barleys Restaurant and the North Market in the Short North area with good sidewalks and traffic lights.
We stayed on the 10th floor in a large room with a pull out sofa which easily slept one adult while the king bed was very plush and roomy for two. The room faced the blvd, but remained quiet with comfortable room temperature individually controlled.
The outside areas were lovely too. Behind the hotel was a sitting area with a fountain and nicely landscaped grounds although among buildings. Also, near the cafe you could go outside to sit.
I would have rated this hotel 5* had there been some kind of breakfast included although you can go right next door to Max & Erma's for the buffet. Also, the stiff payment of $21 per day for valet parking adds up along with paying for internet use if you are staying there for leisure rather than business.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed June 2, 2010

Just walked in to check rates to spend the night and the front desk clerk, Steve, was very professional and offered to show us the rooms. The room was newly renovated, so everything looked good. We got a nice room up on the 11th floor and it was a corner room, so we have a nice view and also the privacy without worrying about our kids making too much noises. The sleep kit is a nice touch to the room, but they only provided one kit per room, so we had to ask the housekeeper for one more kit to satisfy our kids. The negative things about this hotel are: no free internet service in the room, no pay-per-view movies or games in room, no vending machine on floor, very dark lighting in the hallway, slow elevators and finally the pool in the basement is quite dirty(found bugs landing on my leg)
The smell is moldy and mushy in the basement. The game room is a joke! Tried their cafe in the morning but the bagel was hard as a rock; the cashier was not friendly and didn't even give me the receipt. The valet took a little longer than usual to get our car. We picked this hotel because it is close to COSI, but we would not recommend it for families though since it is across from the Convention Center, so we saw a lot of business travelers stay at this hotel. The parking charge was expensive: $15 for priority member and $24 for non-member. The garage right next door only charge $14 a day. So, don't let the front desk clerk talked you into using their valet if you are budget conscious like me.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My trip started with none of our keys working to get into our room (third floor) after an 8hr drive. When I went down to the desk to get new keys they proceeded to tell me that the keys work they were programmed! Well I'm not an idiot and know how to use hotel keys they didn't work! So we finally get into the room to find we have no cold water in the sink in the bathroom as my hands are full with soap and I'm trying to rinse them off with out melting my skin off. I figured oh well no biggy I'll tell them at check out. So I proceed to turn the blankets back to go to bed and find our sheets stained up, and not just a little stained but a lot. Which made all of us sick to think about what else we were not seeing in the room. The next morning we awoke to banging, banging, and more banging..We go to make coffee and the coffee pot has a big chip in it. Once again oh well so we continue with the coffee and its the wrong pot for the maker and it overflows all over. At this point I tried calling the front desk and the phone doesn't work big suprise...I went all the way back down stairs to inform management of these issues. He did get us a free coffee and gave us 50% off our room although we felt like a full refund would be more appropriate. What really bothered us the most is at check out when he was refunding he stops and said " what is it you do? What company do you work for?" Now should that have mattered? Does a janitor deserve different services than a lawyer? All in all I would never stay at nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TeresaDitta
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. Please accept my utmost apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please know that this is not the typical standard of service or the typical experience our guests have at our hotel. We are currently ranked commendable in our brand and are on our way to becoming ranked outstanding from surveys completed by our valued guests. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience and personally invite you back to the hotel so that my team of hospitality professionals can prove to you our commitment to clean, comfortable rooms coupled with amazing customer service.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

We just finished a 2 night stay at this very expensive hotel and couldn't regret it more. We were in Columbus for the Tournament of Champions (an amateur wrestling tournament) and were willing to pay more for the convenience of being close to Convention Center. First night there...we had traveled all day and where exhausted. My wife, two wrestlers, and I were fast asleep by 10:30 when all of a sudden the phone rang waking all of us up. It was the Assistant Manager Brian and he insisted that I come down to the desk...insinuating that I hadn't paid and that we were trying to stay illegally. Unbelievable. I went down to the desk and quickly found out that it was a hotel mistake. I barely got an apology. Then, when I checked out, I was asked if my stay was ok. I said no and explained what had happened. Mr. [-], Director of Operations, was listening in...He interjected and said that should never have happened and offered me some "free sodas for the road." WHAT A BAD, BAD JOKE!!! I had just spent over $360 for two nights stay and that was the best he could do??? I got the distinct feeling from him that because I was wearing an old wrestling tshirt, sweats and hadn't shaved that that he thought he could "satisfy me" with a can of coke....UNBELIEVABLE!!!! IMO, you DO NOT want to stay at this hotel....it is very expensive, offers NO amenities, the pool is barely larger than a bathtub, the escalator up to convention wasn't working (which would be really bad for an older adult), the elevators smelled like urine, and it treated me and my family the worst that we had been treated in a LONG LONG time. Next year we will stay next door at the Hampton Inn, the Hyatt, or the Drury Inn and I hope YOU DO TOO!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Dear Saint Kelley:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. You are right, our hotel is in the perfect location for guests to stay who are attending events at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.

I would like to personally apologize for the inconveniences you encountered at our hotel. I sincerely welcome any comments or suggestions that can help us improve our facility or service. I have shared your review with the entire management team and am working hard to ensure our service recovery when a guest does experience a problem, improves. Our ultimate goal is for our guests' to enjoy their total experience so that they can't wait to come back, and it sounds as if in this case, we unfortunately failed.

I would love to discuss your stay further at your convenience.

Reviewed April 15, 2010

The only issue I had with the hotel is that my toilet continued to run throughout the night. I was able to fix the problem myself but did request the problem to be addressed. I had issues with my tub stopper as well; the stopper was fixed but the toilet continued to run. I still rate the hotel highly because of the absolutely wonderful customer service I received (minus plumbing issues). One word of warning - the coffee is stronger than Starbucks and made my stomach hurt. Not good for a daylong event!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2010

Dear Sabbith:

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. I am sorry to hear that your toilet ran all night, and would love to know your room number so that we can correct the problem for the next guest. I know a running toilet is no fun, but I am so glad that our level of service made up for it! Sorry our coffee made your tummy hurt...I will look into that immediately - our coffee should be bold, but not painfully so!

I hope to have you as our guest again soon, and if I can be of personal service, please feel free to reach out to me.

Reviewed April 10, 2010

I was more than pleasantly surprised with the quality of the hotel....beautiful interiors, the room was elegant and oh so comfortable! The bathroom large, marble and very clean...in the middle of the city yet an oasis of quiet. The staff was so good, so helpful, I just did not believe I was back in COlumbus OHio. I will always stay here from now on!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

Dear cathysterling:

Thank you for taking the time to sumbit a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. I agree, the results of our 8 million dollar renovation are fabulous, and I'm so glad you enjoyed our brand new lifestyle hotel.

I look forward to having you as our guest again soon! Thank you for making us your hotel of choice upon your future visits to Columbus!

Kathyrn

Reviewed March 4, 2010

First time stay. Stephen the Valet not only provided great personal service, he spoke to other guests by name, remembered mine the next day and seemed to genuinely enjoy sharing information about Columbus. Ben at the front desk was great as well. There was a young bartender (woman, blonde, didn't get her name) that could have been my sister....she just came across as if she knew you for years. Very attentive to when the glasses were empty.

The rooms were a big suprise as well. The little things....Lots of pillows, the AC/Heating unit encased in wood to give it the appearance of a dresser, the little pockets shelves in the bathroom. Just lots of special touches. And of course free internet (although one day it was quite slow for some reason) I have always stayed at the Hyatt for conferences and have not had a complaint but the Crowne Plaza has my business from now on. Thanks! JR

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

Dear JRRVMD:

Thank you for being our guest at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. We truly appreciate your business as well as the fact that you took the time to tell others about your pleasant stay at our hotel.

We look forward to having you as our guest many more times in the future! If I can personally assist with your next reservation, my number is 614-461-2658, I am at your service.