“Best Bed in the City!”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #51 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I have to say that the $8 million renovation was great. The beds are extremely comfortable and the decor is really nice. Service was good. Max & Erma's Restaurant was very good for breakfast. We had the buffet. No problems with noise. Nice shower and bathroom. Good water pressure. We had adjoining rooms with two double beds in each plus a baby crib. Not much room to move around. 1 office type chair per room.
Nice TVs. Small refrigerator, no microwave. Very close walk to Nationwide Arena (less than 2 blocks).
My only complaint s:
1. The very small pool in the basement. 5 foot deep all over, brick walls, and horrible echo. You can't hear the person next to you if water is splashing or others are talking. There were only two small bench seats. You will get wet if you sit in the pool area. There is only about 3-4 feet of space between the edge of the pool and the walls. Right outside the pool area is a small arcade (about 4 games). The area smells so bad, it almost takes your breath. Very moldy smell (probably carpet). I believe its because the towels are located outside the pool room, and kids are dripping wet while walking out there to get towels. I didn't swim, but the kids said the water was very cold. No hot tub.
2. I asked the valet for my vehicle. When he brought it up, he asked if I needed help loading my luggage. I said yes, but then the valet stood by and held the cart (to keep it from rolling) while I loaded all my luggage into my vehicle upon discharge. He was rude, fat, and lazy.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GinaDRacine

Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night after watching the footy. We didn't normally stay here when in Columbus but got a great price on Priceline, and I'm glad that we did. Easily accessible from the highway, the hotel is modern from top to bottom, the staff were generally very friendly, and the Max&Erma's restaurant is open late which is good because the food selection after hours near the nationwide area (5-7 min walk) is not very inspiring. The room itself was big enough and as a bonus, the flat screen TV actually featured HD cable! A nice bonus when it's raining in Columbus. We had no problem with this hotel and will hope to get it again on Priceline for our next visit to Columbus.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in April. Room was beautiful- very clean, up to date. Great beds. Room itself was a little on the small size, but since I was alone, this was not really an issue. Might be if traveling w/ kids, though. View great. Here are my 3 complaints, though:

1- Tub and surround in the bathroom needed replacing. Looks like they tore out everything else and re-did it, except for the tub. There were bare spots w/ rusty metal sticking out. Stuck out like a sore thumb in the otherwise beautifully updated room and bathroom.

2- Service was a little spotty. Some front desk people were nice and warm and welcoming, and some acted a bit like I was bothering them. Same with the valets. When I admitted to the first valet that I encountered that I'd never valet parked my car before, and didn't really know how it worked, he looked down his nose at me as if I were a complete moron. A simple explanation would have sufficed and made my check-in a lot less stressful. The valet I encountered upon leaving on my last day was nice to me, but was grumbling and cursing under his breath about something. Made me a bit uncomfortable.

3- Noise levels the first 2 nights were fine, since I beleive no one was staying on either side of me. However, on the 3rd night the room next to me was occupied and I could hear the TV, conversations, laughter, etc. into the wee hours. I decided not to complain because I didn't think the other guests were being overly loud, just that the walls were overly thin.

Overall, this hotel is nice, but for the same price, I've stayed at better places in Downtown Columbus.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TeacherLadyToledo_OH
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Thank you so very much for accommodating my husband & I at the Crown Plaza for three nights for our 1 yr. engagement celebration. Our first trip back to Columbus since we moved to Ireland in Jan. I can't thank you enough for the special treatment you provided. The extra large king room, the bag of Buckeye Crunch, bottled water and welcome note was above and beyond the call of duty! We so enjoyed staying at the Crown over our busy weekend. The service we received from the valet, front desk staff and manager on duty was fabulous. It was a busy weekend for the hotel, and we enjoyed the buzz of the hotel over the weekend. Parking was so easy. We used valet the fiirst night and parked in the public garage right behind the hotel the next 2 nights. My sister also stayed at the Crowne and enjoyed her stay as well. The room was super nice, clean and comfortable. We look forward to staying at the Lofts on our next visit to Columbus. The location couldn't be better! We even walked to the North Market for breakfast on Saturday.

As we say in Ireland...thanks a million!

Cheers!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This hotel was clean and the staff was courteous and helpful. Our room was nice, but rather small. We were assigned to a handicapped room with the modified shower without anyone asking us if this was okay. There were not enough power outlets in the room to easily plug in items we needed to charge and/or use (laptop, cell phone, etc). You must pay for parking, and I was really disappointed by the $10/fee for Internet access.

There were lots of restaurant choices within walking distance and the area seemed relatively safe.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last year, most recently last night. I have also stayed at the Lofts across the driveway and will be returning soon. This hotel has gone thru a wonderful renovation but needs to work on training their staff. Check in and valet was smooth and swift even when they were the busiest. My room was nice but I did not have a breakfast card in my room so I did not stay for breakfast this morning as I normally would have. I had placed a 8:30 wake up call, but at approx. 8:16 this morning housekeeping started knocking on my door and surrounding doors wanting to know if I was checking out. I have worked in the hotel business before and this was inappropriate and not a pleasent way to wake up. From my experience housekeeping can start their day with a list of rooms that guests have checked out of then later in the morning seek rooms that have not yet vacated. I stopped by the desk on my way out and the woman at the desk did not appologize, she simply stated that housekeeping started at 8am. I will return but hope they renovate the front line staff to match their new hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Negatives: If you've over 50 think twice. Phones, Dream Machine alarm clock not user friendly - intuitive -- and who needs that when they are tired! Flat sceen tv doesn't have adjustment for High Def vs. normal, so much distortion (fat heads!). ONE packet of coffee and ONE packet of decaf provided and then coffee pot didn't work (I discovered it was the outlet luckily, so moved it and got my one little cup of caffeine -- which is all you're going to get out of them for free). Had to get expensive coffee in lobby. Last day my hubbie grabbed a cup for me and paid (before 6:00 a.m.) service. Luke warm, so when we hit the road asked for a little "warm up" and the girl poured about 1" of hot coffee on top. I guess that's all they could part with for a guest. Parking is $21 (norm, I guess), you PAY for internet. Front desk had ATTITUDE, more than once. Remodeled rooms were CRAMPED. ok, nice bedding and ok mattress. Bathroom pretty, but one outlet (see coffee pot) didn't work. I would much rather go the the Wyndham and be treated well, get my freebie breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends