“great location, new rooms but needs some fine tuning”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #51 of 146 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last year, most recently last night. I have also stayed at the Lofts across the driveway and will be returning soon. This hotel has gone thru a wonderful renovation but needs to work on training their staff. Check in and valet was smooth and swift even when they were the busiest. My room was nice but I did not have a breakfast card in my room so I did not stay for breakfast this morning as I normally would have. I had placed a 8:30 wake up call, but at approx. 8:16 this morning housekeeping started knocking on my door and surrounding doors wanting to know if I was checking out. I have worked in the hotel business before and this was inappropriate and not a pleasent way to wake up. From my experience housekeeping can start their day with a list of rooms that guests have checked out of then later in the morning seek rooms that have not yet vacated. I stopped by the desk on my way out and the woman at the desk did not appologize, she simply stated that housekeeping started at 8am. I will return but hope they renovate the front line staff to match their new hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed May 27, 2009

Negatives: If you've over 50 think twice. Phones, Dream Machine alarm clock not user friendly - intuitive -- and who needs that when they are tired! Flat sceen tv doesn't have adjustment for High Def vs. normal, so much distortion (fat heads!). ONE packet of coffee and ONE packet of decaf provided and then coffee pot didn't work (I discovered it was the outlet luckily, so moved it and got my one little cup of caffeine -- which is all you're going to get out of them for free). Had to get expensive coffee in lobby. Last day my hubbie grabbed a cup for me and paid (before 6:00 a.m.) service. Luke warm, so when we hit the road asked for a little "warm up" and the girl poured about 1" of hot coffee on top. I guess that's all they could part with for a guest. Parking is $21 (norm, I guess), you PAY for internet. Front desk had ATTITUDE, more than once. Remodeled rooms were CRAMPED. ok, nice bedding and ok mattress. Bathroom pretty, but one outlet (see coffee pot) didn't work. I would much rather go the the Wyndham and be treated well, get my freebie breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was in town for a concert at the Nationwide Arena (a short walk down the street) so I only had a two night stay. I had never stayed at a Crowne Plaza and the only photo's I had seen where before the renovation, so I was a little hesitant. This was by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. From the valet, to the front desk, even the room service, the entire staff was friendly and willing to go out of there way to help with whatever was needed. We where pleasantly suprised at how nice our room was, as well as the quietness. This was the first hotel I had stayed in where I actually fell at home and got a good nights rest. The bathroom was beautiful (LOVED the showerhead!), and the room service was prompt and tasty. The only thing really that was not perfect was the quality of the TV. The picture was bad but that was no big deal to us. The complementary wireless made up for that.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was very impressed by the rooms at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown. They look like they've been remodeled recently as the furnishings are very modern. The room we stayed in was like a suite. It had a small couch and a chair with an ottoman that you could sit in to watch TV (flatscreen) although you could also watch TV from the bed. The mattress was VERY comfortable to sleep on. The bathroom was nice too, and everything was very clean.

The only negative thing about this hotel is the limited parking, which should be expected since it's downtown. You have to pay for parking whether you do valet or self-park.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed one night here for a wedding and it was a nice stay. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Check-in and check-out were both quick and easy. The elevator gave us some problems on arrival and wouldn't take us all the way to our floor (11th) so we rode up and down and finally it worked. The room service menu was from Max and Irma's which made for a really nice late night snack. The parking was pretty expensive at 21.00 per night but there was really no other option. The hotel is right across from Nationwide Arena and we had a good view of it from our window.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I have nothing bad to say about my stay. The room was clean and updated with some nice features. I only stayed one night, but I was happy with everything.

• Stayed: March 2009
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2009

Dear ja507098:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel on tripadvisor.com. We have just completed our 8 million dollar renovation and are glad that you liked the results! We hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Safe future travels!

Kathyrn Burton

Reviewed April 6, 2009

I don't understand some of the negative reviews this hotel has gotten; I've stayed there at least twice, in December 2006 and April 2009, and it has been just fine. Dirty, uncomfortable, outdated rooms, and an unfriendly staff? Are we even talking about the same hotel, 33 E. Nationwide?
One thing I appreciated about my most recent visit was that though there was a noisy convention in house (a young cheerleaders' competition), the hotel put me on a quiet floor, isolated from that, where I slept just fine. Many hotels spread the noisy conventioneers/prom kids/frat boys around on every floor, so they disturb all the other people in-house.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Dear Tsigane:

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown!

I agree with you, I don't understand the negative reviews our hotel has received either. Although, I always appreciate guest feedback, whether positive or constructive, as I am 100% committed to our continuous improvement process.

I am glad that you appreciated the fact that when we do have large groups staying at the hotel, we try our best to put the group together on the same floors. Often the guests with the group are all participating in the same activities: therefore, have a similar stay dynamic in terms of when they sleep and wake, when they are in and out of the hotel, etc. It makes a more pleasant stay for everyone. We truly try to plan ahead to try to ensure our guests receive the experience they are expecting at our hotel, regardless of why they are staying. It's nice to hear our efforts paid off!

We look forward to having you back as our guest soon.

All My Best,