“Nothing to write home about!”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #44 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Michigan
“Nothing to write home about!”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

What can I say? It was a place to stay! The hotel is large but older and the location was close to almost everything . Rooms were clean but not modern and a mini fridge and microwave were brought to my room for the duration of my stay at no extra charge. The staff was very friendly and there is a small store on the first level by the front desk just in case you forgot to bring something. Get in early though because the parking lot stays full Monday through Friday and the only entrance to the rooms is through the front door.

I would have enjoyed my stay a little more if they had more than a handful of television stations most of which were sports. I was also on the 8th floor and had two sleepless nights because of high winds that made a terrible whistling noise through the windows.

Overall, it was an ok place to stay but if I came back to Columbus, I would more than likely choose another hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bluthunder
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2009
Dear Chris563:

Thank you for the review you wrote regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown.

Upon reading your comments, I don't think you had the pleasure of staying in one of our newly renovated guest rooms. All of our rooms have now undergone a complete overhaul including the modern touches of cordless phones, 32 inch HDTV flat screen televisions (featuring 30+ channels) with connectivity panels, and mini fridges in every guest room.

I'm not quite sure I understand your concern regarding our parking availability as we offer valet parking to all of our guests as well as self parking availability in the garage directly behind the hotel.

Please contact me next time you are coming to town and I will be happy to personally set up your reservation. I would love for you to give our "new" hotel a chance to make you a "raving fan". I can be reached directly at my office number: 614.461.2658.

At Your Service,

Kathyrn Burton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Columbus, ohio
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Great rooms! We had the suite and it was very comfortble for our large group. The beds were very "sleepy" ! Great spot in the downtown area. Easy walk to attractions

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Dear MSM6:

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with the world!

I, too, am thrilled about our recent renovation and am very pleased with the results!

We certainly have the best location in Columbus, housed in the Arena District and only a few short blocks from the Short North Arts District.

Look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Worthington
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Just spent a Girls Weekend to celebrate an upcoming wedding......we had a Parlor suite and 2 adjacent rooms that were fantastic! The hotel has just undergone a total renovation and looks beautiful. The rooms were spotless and the staff was welcoming and very attentive. The location is ideally situated across the convention center and the Arena District and close to the Short North restaurants and shops. We would definitely stay here again!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was very impressed with this hotel and their staff. I had a large group of about 35 people come up from Cincinnati and we stayed two nights for a convention.

First of all, they parked all three of our large conversion vans with little problem. They could not fit them into the parking garage, but still happily parked the vehicles. Checking in was also a breeze. I had called the night before to allocate and pre-book the rooms so there would be no hassle checking in. While the people in front of me were turned away because it was too early to check in (around noon), I had no trouble getting all of our rooms.

The rooms were clean and newly remodeled. The bathrooms are really nice, with quality amenities and a dark wood finish that looks very professional. The flat screen television had many channels, and the room comes with the Crowne Plaza Sleep CD that I always enjoy listening to before bed.

There was a little mix-up concerning rollaway beds that the staff mixed up, which frustrated me immensely. Luckily, I spoke with the general manager the next morning and she gave us some free breakfast for the misunderstanding. She was very considerate and understanding of our situation and happy to help in any way she could.

I am a hard person to impress, but I was very happy with my stay and I highly recommend it. The remodel is extremely recent, as most of the rooms are finished and the lobby is currently under renovation.

Finally, I had access to the concierge lounge, which I highly recommend. The cocktails were only $2 for anything and it had lots and lots of delicious food.

All in all, a very good stay.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms, free wireless internet, flat screen television
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2009
Thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure to serve you and your group during your recent trip to Columbus! We hope to see you again soon. Our hotel renovations are receiving rave reviews from our guests. Thank you for sharing yours on tripadvisor.com. As always, I can be reached directly and appreciate all feedback from guests, both present and future, at 614.461.2658.

Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I was fortunate to stay in a recently-renovated room. It was stylish and clean. I heard very little, if any, noise. The staff was friendly. Given the great location, this hotel really is a value. I recommend it highly, and I will stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank chazzOH
Thank you so much for your kind comments. As always, we are happy to be of service. Upon your next visit, we will more than likely have our firepit constructed on our patio and our bike rentals up and running for our guests to take a leisurely ride down the Scioto Mile which runs along the riverfront.

Hope to have you as our guests again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We have stayed here numerous times. I was not as satisfied this time. They are in the middle of remodeling, and the front desk kindly gave us an updated room (not on the executive level). They were very nice looking, but the beds/bedding not nearly as comfortable as the executive level. Also, there used to be a self park option ($12 period). Now the self park option is $12 + $1 each hour after 6 am. WOW. Unless you are planning to leave very early, you may as well valet for $21. Everything else was nice as usual. It just didnt feel the same this time.

• Liked — The location. It is walking distance from everywhere we like to visit.
  • Disliked — The uncomfortable bed.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for your comments! I am happy to report that our 8 million dollar renovations are complete! All of our mattresses are brand new Serta's and our guests are raving about them.

Please give us the opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Columbus. I promise, we are certainly more than "okay"! I would love to personally make your reservations for you at your convenience. I can be reached at 614.461.2658.

Hope to see you soon!

kansas city
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Probably the worst experience I've ever had at any hotel I've ever stayed at . The front desk did not obtain my boarding pass as they said they would. When brought to the attention of the night manager he turned and walked away in the middle of the conversation. When I asked him to try to compensate me for the inconvenience, he laughed at me.Anyone who stays here over spending the night in an alley is making a huge mistake

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the managerial staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
crownekate, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2008
Tripadvisor Fans:

In response to this review, I would like to publicly apologize to this guest as I did personally via phone conversation over a week ago.

Our guest service representative was asked to print out the guests' boarding passes for their flight the following day. We were unable to do this until 24 hours before their flight (which was 6 hours after the initial request), put the papers aside, and unfortunately, did not follow up. Yes, we dropped the ball, and are extremely sorry. When this was brought to our attention, we did complete the request immediately and our Guest Service Manager personally delivered the passes to the guests room.

We are extremely sorry to have disappointed this guest and do our best to fulfill each and every guests' request in a timely and professional manner.

Please be assured that this review is not reflective of the service experience our guests receive when at our hotel. I can be personally reached in my office at 614.461.2658 and am available to answer all questions regarding our facility and our service.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,