“Just okay”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #51 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The mattress on on bed was sunken in it looked as if it had been jumped on. Good thing we had two beds. The handle on the toilet broke and we stopped at the front desk to have it fixed. We tried to temporarily fit it. Came back in the evening and still not fixed. You would think a nice hotel would at least fix the problem or offer to move us to a room that works. Come on!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Buckeyegirlnoc
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Buckeyegirlnoc,

Thank you for making me aware of this issue. I am sorry that we were not apple to fix the toilet handle immediately. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and the way that we handled this situation is unacceptable. Thank you for your review, this issue will be brought up to the appropriate departments.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I attended a 1/5 day conference held at the Crowne Plaza. The meeting rooms were great, very convenient, open, well-lit and clean. Food provided was fresh and delicious. We had a happy hour at the bar in the lobby that was fun. The hotel's location is great -- right across from the Columbus Convention Center and Nationwide Center. My room was nice -- clean, comfy bed, new linens and décor. My only problem with this hotel was the noise factor -- the walls were thin and I could hear TVs and people in adjacent rooms, and people walking in the hallways. It kept me from getting a good night's sleep. Wish these newer hotels had better soundproofing -- it did detract from my overall impression.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the elevators and ice machine. This won't help with the thin wall p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Amy,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus! We are so glad that you enjoyed our meeting rooms and catering. Thank you for noticing our new linen and décor as we just went through an update to our hotel rooms. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority, and the noise factor is something that we are currently working on. Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Crowne Plaza. The rooms were nice but a little over-priced, They were very clean, however and the staff was both helpful and courteous. Exercise facility was first rate. We only ate at the on-site restaurant once but the food was the best we had our whole trip! The coffee provided in the rooms was not very good. I expected better and also thought there should be more then two cups worth of supplies in the room. They did provide more if you asked though.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. It’s always great to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and work out facilities, as well as having a clean room and courteous staff. Thank you for your kind words. Please visit again soon.

General Managerr

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times in the last three years. I like the hotel but it is going downhill. The front desk used to have very friendly staff. Now, they seem like like they are just punching a clock. In the bar area the "head bartender" is comfortable dressing down the other server well within earshot of customers. Yet he was so busy bragging about his time as a paratrooper to an individual that a patron actually came up to him and asked if they were closed because he had been waiting so long for service.

The rooms are clean and the beds comfy. It's a convenient location but with the plethera of hotel round I'm going to consider other options in the future because of the less than attentive and engaged staff.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank libbann
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Libbann,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. I’m sorry that your stay was not up to our usual standard. I will forward this message on to our bartending and front desk staff. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Thank you for the review.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was there for a bachelor party. The room was nice and seemed very clean. Staff was very friendly. I thought I got lucky because I got to sleep on the pull out couch. As it turns out sleeping on the floor was been better!! I realize it's a pull out couch, but the mattress was very thin and the springs were very noisy every time i moved. I finally had enough and closed it up and slept on the floor. I did get the bed the next night and that was much better.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Josh K,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent party! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff and our clean rooms. I apologize about the pull out couch. We will take your review into account when thinking of improvements to our guest rooms.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our stay couldn't have been nicer, nor the staff friendlier .

Room clean. Quiet. Many meeting areas and internet stations. Our bed was turned down for us when we returned from our evenings out. There were fancy expensive chocolates on the bed, the robes were on the bed waiting for us, and soft classical music playing in the room, and a soft light turned on for us. VERY nice touches.

Four pillows per double bed, which was another nice feature. Modern bathrooms but with the typical shower/tub. Upper scale lotions and shampoos. There is a spray in the package of travel size products that I assumed was room spray so take advantage of that as our bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan.

The staff was amazing. My sister had made the reservations for three rooms but the staff was most accommodating when it came to payment since we all wanted to pay for our own rooms.

Jeremy the valet attendant was helpful, attentive, quick, and knowledgeable. If you don't know where to dine, just ask him. There is a shuttle too. We chose valet parking at $23/day. We are used to this though, and I know it sounds steep but we didn't want any hassle with our car getting broken into, or walking a good distance with luggage in hand. Valet Parking is worth it in my opinion.

Ryan the Operations Supervisor did me a great favor. My sisters and I were in a quandary, my elderly mother needed some flat shoes to wear to a wedding reception - her feet were swelling and her own heels were getting uncomfortable. We shopped across the street for something but could only find flip flops. I asked Ryan with a strange request that if there is a pair of women's shoes, size 8 in the lost and found that have been there forever and it is obvious that no one is coming back for them, can we have them? He went down and found something we could use. We offered to return them but he told us we could have them. Thankfully they weren't dirty and disgusting. He listened to my request and had a great attitude about the whole thing. We were so grateful for him and he was a perfect example of how someone in the service industry should behave, as was the rest of the staff at Crown Plaza.

The free breakfast (don't forget your coupons!) at Max and Erma's was very good. Nice fresh omelettes, good fruit and good coffee.

There's a firepit outside, and a fireplace inside. Numerous sitting areas. There's a bar and a small store for snacks, emergency toothbrush, etc.
Thank you Crown Plaza!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Teresa N,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for you recent trip to Columbus. I am blown away by all of your kind words about the Crowne Plaza. We strive to go above and beyond our job duties and hearing reviews like this really help to reinforce our work ethic. I am so glad that you took advantage of the free breakfast and the shuttle. Our housekeeping staff works hard every day to make sure that the rooms are clean for our guests, so thank you for pointing that out. Come back soon, and we will have some more chocolate and robes waiting for you!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in the downtown area of Columbus if that is your destination. It is connected to many of the other buildings by an enclosed walkway that is helpful due to the Columbus weather. The rooms are spacious, but not extravagant. One note about the parking, it is actually cheaper to Valet than it is to self park. They have a "rewards" program there where you can sign up and your parking becomes much cheaper than self parking. I suggest you use Valet and sign up for their rewards program, which is free.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Prince Tristan,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza for your recent trip to Columbus. We are happy to hear that you took part in our Rewards program! I hope to see you again soon.