“Expensive for what I want from a hotel”

Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown
Ranked #51 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here this past weekend. I chose this hotel over the across the street Drury that I've also stayed at solely because I had a free night from my Priority Club Credit card that I needed to use. The location of either hotel is excellent, with very close proximity to the Arena, convention center and Short North entertainment district. We actually came in for an OSU game, with the campus a short drive (not walk) away. I stayed two nights, one free and one I pre-paid for to get the cheapest Advance (non-refundable) purchase rate. The room was o.k. and by hotel standards reasonably clean. We really didn't use any amenities other than the cable TV and 5 minutes of WIFI. I was told that the WIFI was complimentary due to my Priority Club status and that we also had a choice of discounted valet or bonus points because of it. I still need to confirm I wasn't charged for anything, as for some reason the hotel posted two pending transactions to my credit card of roughly $30plus. I don't have reason to expect that they won't get reversed on their own, but if not I'll post a follow-up to my review within the week. The room has the typical upscale foo-foo bedding do-dads that you have to find some place to put to sleep, but not as overdone as I've seen elsewhere. All in all nothing to complain about, but I can get the same nights sleep experience I typically want across the street a bit cheaper.

Room Tip: You can avoid the $25 valet parking by parking yourself in the Public Parking behind the hotel. I p...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for utilizing your Priority Club points with us at the Crowne Plaza. We appreciate the feedback of our Priority Club members. I'm glad you found our hotel convenient and were able to take advantage of the complimentary WIFI. If your transaction issue did not resolve itself, please feel free to contact me directly at 614-461-4100. We look forward to serving you during your future trips to downtown Columbus.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here for business this week. The front desk staff is very helpful. However the rooms are so dark with small windows, that it feels claustrophobic. Wireless reception was almost impossible. Housekeeping didn't clean the room one day, and the following day, left napkins on the desk, didn't refill the cups for coffee, etc. The room service was poor quality food, with no top on the coffee, bottled orange juice. Again, the staff is great, but i'm going to try and find someplace else for my next trip there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza downtown. I am glad to hear that our customer service met your expectations throughout your stay. I apologize for the lack of consistincy in our operations. We are constantly striving to be more efficient and helpful to our guests and it is through comments like yours that help us improve. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had the pleasure to spend a few nights in this hotel during a conference. The rooms were very comfortable and the customer service was excellent.

Heads up! If you are meeting the Convention Center, there's a sharp right on the Skywalk that's easy to miss. If you do miss it, you may end up in the Nationwide towers.

Also, the bar/restaurant area is cozy but the firepit just outside is excellent to unwind beside. One of the evenings some of us even saw George Lopez hanging out at the bar. Pretty cool!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience at the Crowne Plaza downtown. I am pleased that our customer service met your needs and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our outside seating area. We look forward to accomodating you again should your travels bring you back to Columbus, OH.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from Oct 14 to Oct 17,2012 for a conference. When I backed to my room the second night. I couldn't find my clothes which were hung in the closet. It turned out that they were put back to my suitcase and somebody helped me to "organize" my stuffs a little bit.
Fortunately, I don't have value items in that suitcase. However, my cell phone charger was disappeared, which I put in the pocket and can be easily spotted.

I called the front desk at that night, talked to the manage several times, and even called them after I left. They did find out that one house keeper got in that room and thought the room should be evacuated and put the clothes into the suitcase. They only apologized for the inconvenience. However, they refused to commit that somebody stole my phone charger.

I would like to write a review on their website. But with the confirmation number and my personal information, their system didn't allow me to do it. It always showed something wrong.

Based on my experience, this is not really a place you want to consider to stay at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

I'm sorry to hear about your experience during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza. I have personally researched this situation and have reached out to all associates and managers that were involved. I'm glad to hear that our staff was available and willing to assist you with this situation, however I apologize that it did not get resolved to your satisfaction. If I can be of help in any way, please feel free to personally contact me at (614) 461-4100.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Three friends and myself were coming into Columbus to attend a hair show/classes. The Crown Plaza was on the suggested list of accommodations. What a great place to stay! The rooms are VERY roomy, clean, and decor was updated! We were able to get 'adjoining' rooms, which makes it even more fun when traveling with friends!
The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. The Valet/Bellhops were one of the same, but really great personality and very courteous.
When going to dinner that night, we went down to the Valet, asked if we could get a cab. The young man then asked where we were going, we told him, and he says "We will take you, we have a courtesy van, and will take you and pick you up if it is in a 3 mile radius of the hotel!"
Another great feature is the attached walkway to the convention center! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We did notice a constant 'beat' on Saturday night coming from one of the night clubs close b...
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Should be a good location for arena district, however way over-priced for what you get. Dirty, snagged and stained lobby carpet; poorly lit hallways that are crying for paint or wallpaper. Either the vacuums or staff aren't working....carpet by elevators had obviously not been vacuumed for awhile and hallways dark and dirty. No bathroom fan so when you shower the ceilings drip with condensation. Bathroom sink cracked and tub was below cleanliness standard. Huge waste of money. Unfortunately it was a last min check-in.....check this one off the list.

Room Tip: Ask for a tour before Taking room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dirk B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Columbus Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza for your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you ran into some issues throughout your visit. I am personally looking into them and plan to find a remedy to better serve our guests. We are constantly updating our hotel and will consider your suggestions. Should you need to speak to someone directly, please feel free to contact me at (614) 461-4100.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

So I rolled up to this property at 1am after my diamond butt got walked from another hotel. I was very tired as one can imagine. The staff at the front desk greeted me with enormous hospitality and kindness. At this point in the night, their extra care of me was very much appreciated. Thank you Sara and Michael for saving my night!
Ps- the peaches are great!

• Stayed: October 2012

I am glad to know that you had a positive experience at the Crowne Plaza and thank you for your kind words regarding our Front Desk staff. We were happy to accomodate you in your time of need and look forward to the opportunity to do so again in the future.