“Amazingly understaffed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbus
Ranked #32 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed March 30, 2014

1) Front desk is understaffed.

We visited on a busy weekend with several large groups staying in rooms. The check-in process was very slow. Guests with simple questions were told they couldn't ask their question until all of the check-ins had been processed. They only had two of the three check-in counters working at this peak time, with about 15 families waiting in line to check in.

One party I was waiting behind while checking in had a complaint that they wanted to address with management. They had to pull the chef out of the kitchen while he was making dinner because apparently he was the manager. That process took quite a while.

Later in the evening, people who were wanting to purchase snacks at the front desk were waiting over five minutes for anyone to actually show up at the front desk to service them.

2) Housekeeping must be understaffed

When we checked in at 4 p.m. on Saturday, there was a pile of wadded up sheets and an empty pizza box at the southwest corner of the 7th floor. When we checked out at 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, the sheets and pizza box were still there.

3) Very loud atrium. Unfortunately, all rooms face the eight-story atrium, which is very, very noisy. You have to go to the bedroom part of the suite to actually get some peace and quiet. Woe to those who must sleep on the sofa bed near the door.

4) Elevators are ridiculously slow. One actually got taken out of service on Sunday, making it even worse. And the elevators also are small. Typically only half of the people waiting for an elevator could make it in. Most of the patrons I ran into while in the elevator were also highly frustrated with them. If planning to go from the 7th floor to the lobby or vice versa, make sure to put about 7 or 8 extra minutes in your schedule.

5) We reserved a crib for our room with my reservation and it was not sent up or mentioned at the time we checked in. I went down a couple of hours later and they said they didn't have any more.

6) The rooms were very nice. However, all of the suites only came with 2 double beds. For the ridiculously expensive room rate, why shouldn't these be queen beds?

7) Rooms are too expensive for the poor level of service.

8) They had information saying there was "easy checkout" where our bill would be placed under the door at 6 a.m. For some reason this wasn't done, so I had to go past the front desk on the way out.

Generally, I'd recommend staying someplace else.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RowlandFamily
ESManagement, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I truly apologize that you had to wait a long time to check-in. I can assure you that it is very rare for us to have such delayed check-ins, however; I can very much empathize with your frustration and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences during your stay and I hope that you will give us a second chance if you return to the area

Don Gantt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Terrible elevators! Slow beyond comparison. Everything else about the hotel is acceptable ... however, you will hate the elevators if you have to use them more than once. Stay on a low floor and WALK the stairs if you can!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
ESManagement, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were very disappointed in the speed of our elevators. I truly apologize, and I can assure you that I definitely will utilize your review to improve the guest- experience.. The hotel staff works very hard to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration. Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future and stay with us next time you’re in town.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have stayed at no name, no star hotels that were far more quiet than this hotel. This was the worst night's sleep we have ever had in a hotel.
It is bad enough that the walls are paper thin, but management seems to do nothing about the "party central" atmosphere that raises the noise level even further.
This was our first stay at an Embassy Suites property and it will be our last. Based on this hotel, we will never stay at any hotel in this chain.
To be fair, the room was clean and other aspects of the hotel were fine (if a bit pricey) but we generally stay at hotels to get at least a little sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel! :-)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was less than enjoyable, I am truly sorry that the hotel noise level interrupted your rest and relaxation. We are 100% focused on guest loyalty and satisfaction and we will take your comments seriously and want to work with you to understand the entire scope of the issue. Please feel free to reach out to me so that we can talk about this particular incident in detail. My direct line is 614-823-5439. Again my sincere apologies for the noise situation that you encountered.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

A large group of us booked a block of rooms for a sporting event. The rooms were large, as all rooms appeared to be suites. There was ample space, and they were clean and well equipped.

Each evening there was "happy hour" - free drinks, and each morning a free breakfast, including made to order eggs, and a variety of other offerings, which was all very good. There is also a small gym, and nice pool area, which we enjoyed.

It was well located for our purposes, although there is not much around in walking distance (ie. no coffee shops, restaurants, etc.) as it is in a commercial business park.

However, the price was right, and the service good. Front desk staff dealt with my one issue immediately and satisfactorily. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Request that your room NOT be above the outdoor pool, as the sound system stays on all night. This...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Just stayed at the Embassy Suites in Columbus, Ohio. Quick weekend trip to take our daughter back to school. Was looking forward to relaxing weekend and some swimming/hot tub. We have never stayed at an Embassy Suites prior to this visit. I must say, that the hotel was extremely noisy. There were unattended children running through the halls after 11:30PM yelling very loudly, this seemed to go on all through the afternoon and evening as well. The noise level overall was high. I think the open concept allows the noise to travel easily because we could hear any noise from any floor and across the building also. There was no staff even attempting to control the noise from unsupervised, rowdy children. The room was also very noisy. You could hear everything going on outside of the room and there was a large gap under the door which did not help. The heater in the bedroom was noisy all night long. The breakfast was fairly good for a free breakfast and the people were pleasant. The one thing we were looking forward to was using the hot tub, which was hot. The problem was that there was debris and foam in the hot tub both the evening of our arrival and even still there the next morning. Needless to say, we did not use the hot tub. The pool was ok, could be a little warmer, but it is an indoor/outdoor pool. It was also very crowded. The hotel was overall clean, which was a plus. We were brought extra pillows and blankets when asked, though it did take a little while. We probably would not stay there again. Way too noisy and not at all relaxing!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Joseph S

I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

614-823-5439 Direct

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed here for work between 3/1014-3/13/14 and had a great stay. I had a suite with two double beds since there was a rate change for a suite with a King bed during my stay. The hotel is in a good location and the staff was very helpful.

Everything was standard of what you expect for this hotel chain. I was on the 3rd floor and the only very minor inconveniences were the ice machine was very slow in putting out ice and one time stopped all together. The other was the reception between 5:30 - 7:30. I didn't participate but you could here the people talking down there even from your room. Yes, it was full each night but I had never experienced that at any of the other Embassy's I have stayed at.

Overall, it is still a great place to stay and those two minor items would not stop me from staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Hotel is awesome in every aspect except for the dining/room service. They could not get anyones orders correct. Messed mine up twice in one night. i finally gave up and just ate what they brought the second time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business