“The motel was a little run down the breakfast was almost...”

Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds
Ranked #113 of 144 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed May 13, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Re: Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds
March 8-9, 2014
Room 248

We were in Columbus for my Nephews graduation, which was a short walk from the hotel. We have stayed at other Days Inns and have NEVER had this type of experience.
I reserved the room online. Looking at the pictured room on their website it looked like a very nice room. Our room look NOTHING like the website and was much smaller.
We paid $100.88 for this room and for that amount; we at least expected the room to be reasonably clean. Walking in the door it looked all right, our first impression was very wrong. We were tempted to find somewhere, anywhere else to stay but did not have the time to shop for hotels at that moment and it was only for overnight so we stayed and I really wish we had not.
We reserved a smoking room, but did not expect to find burn holes in the furniture. Is this, perhaps, why we were given what must be one of the worst rooms in that hotel? There was a $1.00 charge on our bill for a safe. I am glad we did not need it since it had no lock, it did however, have an inch of dust and filth underneath it. Every corner of the room had a buildup of dust and the room smelled like a dog!
The bottom of the shower was filthy, the curtain had black mold on it, not a lot, but it should not have had any. The bathroom floor as well as the toilet seat was disgusting with obvious urine drops on it. We went out and bought disinfectant wipes before we used it. I refused to use the shower.
The entire sink area had some sort of greasy film on it that I could not identify, it smelled musty or moldy (dirty housekeeping towels?) and of course, that got on our hands whenever we touched it, I also cleaned that with disinfectant. The sink was one of those that are set in below the level of the counter, it looked nothing like the one on the website, clean and sealed properly. While brushing my teeth I noticed mold all around the underside edges, except where someone had tried to put some sort of sealer in on one side and that was not very clean looking either. Not a place one would touch, but mold is mold.
The bed had a bottom sheet, a top sheet, a comforter, then another sheet; I suspect the reason for the two top sheets was the fact that the comforter, which I think was supposed to be white was filthy with stains, shoe prints and I do not want to know what else. The bottom sheet and the pillow on one side of the bed had what looked like black mold or some sort of stain on it. We had brought our own pillows, blankets and towels, as we always do when we travel, so I put a towel over whatever that was on the bed and pillow and we both slept on the other side.
Last, but not least, I accidentally knock the receiver off the phone. I am thankful we had cell phones and I did not need to use it. The phone itself was dirty and the receiver had, again, black mold on the mouthpiece. I did not even want to touch it to put it back. The only good thing I can say is that the television worked.
We did not walk in the door intentionally looking for things that were wrong with this room, although I have autoimmune illnesses so we do pay attention. This room was so glaringly bad that you could not help but see these things, right down to the walls, which were dirty and looked like a three year old had painted them.
I said nothing to the owner, I know this is a franchise hotel with an independent owner, but I can tell you that this person’s right to use the Day Inn name should be pulled immediately as they are giving Days Inn the worst possible reputation and doing a disservice to Days Inn customers. On a rating scale, I would rate this one-step above those “hourly” hotel rooms you see on television and would not be surprised to find out that they do have hourly rates.
We have another graduation at the end of this month and had planned to stay at a Days Inn again, one nearer that venue, but after this experience I have made other arrangements. My husband feels that we should have asked for our $100.88 back, but I needed to be with my family and did not want to get into a possible argument with this man.
Bottom line, this was not “The Best Value Under the Sun” and obviously we are extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My Niece, Daughter and myself stayed the weekend at this hotel for the second time to go to the Equine Affair. The convience to the fairgrounds is so great. We never have to move our car after check in. We walk to the fairgrounds and McDonalds is at the entrance so fresh coffee and breakfast before we even leave the parking lot. Everyone is always friendly and helpful at the hotel. Hopefully for fairground events we will always be able to get a room.Gloria J Hall, DFays Inn Columbus Fairgrounds, confermation # 66222517

Room Tip: My friends and I have stayed in different rooms and they all seem fine to me.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When I booked the room, they only had a smoking room available. When we arrived and were checking in, they had a cancellation and moved us to a non-smoking room. We were very appreciative. There was a wide array of choices for our complimentary breakfast and the food was fresh and very good. We chose this hotel because it is right next to the Expo Center and is so convenient because you can walk there and not have to worry about parking.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

The room was very clean and staff was very helpful. There was only a smoking room available when we booked the hotel, and when we checked in they had one nonsmoking room become available and kindly moved us. We were at the Expo Center, and this hotel is within walking distance and made it so much easier.

Reviewed April 19, 2014